Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2018, 05:04 PM

10,036 posts, read 4,963,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Well, I can't picture Jesus in his temperature controlled living room anonymously posting on internet forums, either. I can't picture him having fast food. I can't picture him having sex or putting up a Christmas tree. Or eating meat and dairy together. I can't picture him wearing jeans. Or skipping synagogue. So you do any of those things?
What does a modern-day Jesus in a temperature controlled room posting on the internet which eating fast food, have to do with non-biblical holidays or the wearing a devil's costume to celebrate a worldly holiday.
While alive on Earth Jesus was under the Constitution of the Mosaic Law.
Jesus' faithful death freed him and us from the old Mosaic law for the ancient nation of ancient Israel - Romans 10:4.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2018, 10:18 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,369,217 times
Nontheist w/Buddhist and Taoist leanings. We absolutely celebrate. Love Halloween.

Old 11-02-2018, 11:45 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,562,046 times
Christian and my fundie brother tried to take away all Holidays as pagan but I don't care! It's costumes and candy and parties and fun. What is not to like?

Old 11-03-2018, 02:13 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,865,381 times
One of my best early memories was a haunted house put on by some older kids at a Catholic school. Scary makeup but pretty mild and tame by today's standards. My more fundie church would have NEVER done anything like that. Never. Not even today, decades later. But I could tell it was all done in fun. Images of death are a natural part of life. Some Christians are in such denial about reality that they can't even accept images of death. Some things just come to an end, but some people will NEVER be able to accept death.

Old 11-04-2018, 02:26 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,562,046 times
I haven't done haunted houses in a loooooooooooooooooong time. I am a giant baby about them! I scream like a little girl.

Old 06-17-2019, 02:30 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,742,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Just curious! If this question offends you, it's okay not to answer. I realize this may be personal. But otherwise, feel free to chime in. I'm curious about why people do or don't celebrate Halloween.

For disclosure's sake, I should say I'm agnostic, loosely Buddhist (sometimes) and I do celebrate Halloween. I celebrate it very secularly but I put a heavy emphasis on the season of fall itself and all those images because I've always felt a special connection to this season. I am, however, very fascinated with the "death" imagery and I think it may be because it's something that's scary and taboo, and just once a year we get to sort of laugh at it. It's a tension-reliever.
I just read that trick or treat is from ancient Iran/Persia originally. They have a festival called Qashoq-Zani where young people in disguise run through the streets, banging with spoons on pots, knocking on doors, so they get candy

Old 06-21-2019, 07:34 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,309,299 times
I am a Christian. I love Halloween. Such a fun holiday! I enjoy having my own H-ween display and going out to see other displays.

There used to be an excellent H-ween yard display years ago. Link is: Hallowed Haunting Grounds

Old 06-28-2019, 11:27 PM

41 posts, read 18,969 times
Let's see if you can understand where I stand on Halloween:

I do not believe in Halloween. It glorifies/celebrates the devil (I don't believe in that, nor the invisible man in the sky). It's too commercialized. The scare element is glorified too high. It's not a federal holiday. I treat October 31st as just another day.

Old 06-29-2019, 06:36 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,577,622 times
its a fun day that we can dress up, party, and make the fool of ourselves. and mock death for a day knowing full well we are all afraid of it, to a degree.

Old 06-29-2019, 08:20 AM

1,456 posts, read 515,681 times
If it weren't for people knocking on my door and all the entitled kids it'd be my favourite holiday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality