Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2018, 08:59 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,671,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
And so it begins, folks.

Florida is one of seven states this year that passed (PASSED) laws requiring or permitting schools and other public buildings to post "In God We Trust." Arkansas passed a similar measure in 2017, and Arizona this year allowed schools to post in English the state's motto, which appears in Latin on the state seal: "God Enriches."

These laws have emerged as some religious advocates press to expand references to God and the Bible in public schools and other public venues. Advocates for these measures were heartened by President Trump's picks for the U.S. Supreme Court, both of whom have sided with religious interests.

Some states and lawmakers have gone further, fighting to allow or require the Ten Commandments in public schools and public places. Voters in Alabama this month overwhelmingly passed a ballot initiative that permits the Ten Commandments to be posted on government-funded property. Backers hope it spurs litigation, hopeful that the U.S. Supreme Court and its conservative majority would rule in their favor.

This was taken from an article in the Washington Post this morning. Sorry, I cannot provide a link.

First of all, I do not want to hear one <<darn>> word from the theocratic fascists on this board about how the word "God" is generic and could mean anyone's god.

Because we're talking about references from the Bible and the <<bleep>> 10 Commandments which are without a doubt Judeo-Christian. But, since we live in an atmosphere of racial bigotry and hatred (again), it stands to reason that theocrats aren't even bothering to try and be inclusive - now it's the Christian God or else.

So unless you're a racist (*smiles sweetly*) you should oppose this crap whether you're Christian or not.

Secondly - doesn't it figure that the GOP conservatives care absolutely NOTHING for the Constitution now that they think they have judges who will also ignore the Establishment Clause. I've been saying this since I joined this forum that we were going to start seeing this <<bleep>> erupt. Because if they can start plastering the word "God" and the 10 Commandments all over our public schools, it's only a matter of time before our kids are chanting prayers to Yahweh every morning. Trust me, it's coming.

Keep in mind, this <<bleep>> isn't something that might happen - it HAS happened.

This is one of the most egregious violations of the Constitution I have seen in my lifetime. As I've been saying, this country is head down the road toward theocratic fascism and most people will just stand around and let it happen.

Which is the reason why believers have decided to divide atheists into True Atheists and New Atheists. The so-called "true" atheists are the ones who sit by meekly as their rights are taken from them - which is why certain believers just love so-called "true" atheists. The New Atheists, of course, are the spitfires who are waking up to over 2,000 years of religious tyranny and are fighting to put an end to it.

They needed that divsion of atheists to a) hopefully turn atheists against each other and b) have an obvious group to blame for all of their woes.

It's why they've taken to "lying for Jesus" - because under Trump the theocrat fascists are seeing their chance to turn this country into a cesspit nightmare of religious brainwashing and fascistic religious rules that are far more strict and inflexible than any laws ever created even under the most brutal dictatorship.

I'm here to tell you that religious fascism is by far the worst kind.
God (The Universe) can be completely trusted to be just as it will be.

Old 12-04-2018, 09:10 PM

51,003 posts, read 24,507,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
I don`t see any thing wrong with trusting in God ..
If anything, I trust in Buddha. I'd like that put on every government building.

Old 12-05-2018, 04:11 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,256,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
If everyone believed as you do, that nature is god (minus the consciousness aspect) that would be preferable.
My question is why does anything have to be put in those locations?

Old 12-05-2018, 04:05 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,333,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Sure ...

Except putting "In God We Trust" and copies of the 10 Commandments in our public schools and buildings isn't a philosophical issue.

This is a blatant attempt to send up a "trial balloon" - in other words, to float an idea and see how people respond to it. Because what they are looking to do is to take this a lot further than just "In God We Trust."

What they're doing now is just the beginning - sticking a toe in the bathwater to see how hot it is. And if it isn't too hot, they'll put the rest of their body into the water.

Which is just a metaphor for - if they discover that the people don't care, they'll start introducing such measures as using the Bible as a reader for younger children or rote memorization of Bible verses or using Bible verses for grammer, spelling, and vocabulary tests.

At some point, Bible stories like Adam and Eve will be taught as historical fact, evolution won't just disappear but it will be actively ridiculed as ridiculous - at the same time they claim there's nothing ridiculous about cramming 10 billion species of animals into a little boat smaller than a WWII destroyer.

After that, they'll start telling these kids who to vote for - so that by the time they reach 18 years of age, they will be die-hard members of the Republican Religious Cult. And make no mistake, the GOP is very much a cult right now and probably always will be for many decades to come.

The politicians responsible for pushing these motions regarding sprinkling our schools with religious propaganda aren't even pretending to be inclusive anymore. They've stopped playing that game and now they're going full-bore Christianity. Remember that the 10 Commandments is part of this. Not only are the commandments uniquely Judeo-Christian, the very first commandment is "Thou shall have no other gods before me."

So if you're not worshiping Yahweh, you're out. And I mean all the way out.

A theocratic fascist state is by FAR the worst kind of state to live in - aside from total anarchy. I really don't want to see America become the very thing we've been fighting AGAINST for the last 20 years.

Old 12-05-2018, 04:06 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,625,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
If everyone believed as you do, that nature is god (minus the consciousness aspect) that would be preferable.
My question is why does anything have to be put in those locations?
"minus the conscious aspect" .. what? life can't be in the universe?

Old 12-05-2018, 04:40 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,899,131 times
No one should be afraid of the phrase "In God we trust" especially in an English speaking environment. God is just a reference to the creative force of the universe, and to the united spirit of all mankind, and it doesn't even refer to any specific religion. Even atheists should appreciate this kind of idea, but I doubt they will.

Old 12-05-2018, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
In an ideal world it would be: In each other, we trust.
To me there is no difference between this phrase, and your preferred phrase. From a practical point of view.

Old 12-05-2018, 05:12 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,249,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
To me there is no difference between this phrase, and your preferred phrase. From a practical point of view.
Except that the word "God" has been co-opted by the Abrahamic religions to mean that narcissistic mass-murderer who blundered the world into being.

That associative taint can't be erased.

I wouldn't trust that God for a nanosecond.

Old 12-05-2018, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Except that the word "God" has been co-opted by the Abrahamic religions to mean that narcissistic mass-murderer who blundered the world into being.

That associative taint can't be erased.

I wouldn't trust that God for a nanosecond.
All of that narcissistic mass-murdering anger-management stuff seems to be ALL that atheists care about. And they are just stories mostly within one book, or set of books. And the stories could have been written by an atheist jokester for all we know.

Most people are more Naturalistic in their faith. Church and religion are just a connection to their community.

Old 12-05-2018, 05:26 PM

2,186 posts, read 1,175,975 times
Quote:
In an ideal world it would be: In each other, we trust.
It would be nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality