Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2019, 02:03 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,090,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itzpapalotl View Post
Is that your way of objecting to that definition? Are you suggesting it is in any way wrong or inappropriate?
You can't fit the Schrodinger's Cat scenario in it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2019, 02:17 PM

1,456 posts, read 516,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
You can't fit the Schrodinger's Cat scenario in it?
I take that as you no longer wishing to have a normal conversation with me. For what it's worth, I've enjoyed our little exchange. Have a great day, GoC.

Old 01-27-2019, 02:34 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,052,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
The point, fishbrains, is that you don't CREDIT any evidence, and you require proof.
To believe in a god, yes I would require proof, or at least a substantial amount of evidence. You are correct, I have not encountered any evidence for the existence of god that I think is creditable. That doesn’t mean I dismiss everything out of hand, simply that so far all I have seen are unsupported stories, theoretical frameworks with no supporting evidence, or items that have many alternate explanations.

Old 01-27-2019, 02:40 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,587,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
To believe in a god, yes I would require proof, or at least a substantial amount of evidence. You are correct, I have not encountered any evidence for the existence of god that I think is creditable. That doesn’t mean I dismiss everything out of hand, simply that so far all I have seen are unsupported stories, theoretical frameworks with no supporting evidence, or items that have many alternate explanations.
yeah fish, when the discussion gets out of your understanding avoid it.

say this "I have no idea what your talking about and I deny it anyway."

say that to yourself ten times.

you bought into the "don't give them a springboard" dogma didn't ya? and don't kid yourself, its dogma.

Old 01-27-2019, 04:01 PM

63,818 posts, read 40,109,822 times
Quote:
What exactly would you consider credible evidence of God? What are the minimal attributes you would need to see? Is it Godlike to be responsible for everything that exists? Is it Godlike to establish the physical and chemical laws under which everything operates? Is it Godlike to be responsible for the existence of Life or the existence of a survival drive that responds to environmental consequences or the existence of consciousness that is able to contemplate the existence of consequences or anything else?

Old 01-27-2019, 04:06 PM

50,831 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
I think that's a very fair and fairly concise way of stating what many of us believe.

Old 01-27-2019, 04:09 PM

50,831 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
What exactly would you consider credible evidence of God? What are the minimal attributes you would need to see? Is it Godlike to be responsible for everything that exists? Is it Godlike to establish the physical and chemical laws under which everything operates? Is it Godlike to be responsible for the existence of Life or the existence of a survival drive that responds to environmental consequences or the existence of consciousness that is able to contemplate the existence of consequences or anything else?
Don't tell me about something that maybe happened 2,000+ years ago. Show me indisputable miracles NOW.

It seems that what you are suggesting in the second half of your posts is that there is a deistic god, rather than a theistic god.

Last edited by phetaroi; 01-27-2019 at 05:15 PM..

Old 01-27-2019, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post

mystic, it doesn't matter. he doesn't know what he is talking about and yet thinks he is the one to decide whats real or not. who does that sound like? you know, thunder bolts, beard, and the like? they have absolutely no idea what they are talking either.

Old 01-27-2019, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Son't tell me about something that maybe happened 2,000+ years ago. Show me indisputable miracles NOW.

It seems that what you are suggesting in the second half of your posts is that there is a deistic god, rather than a theistic god.
it s not a theist god phet. You claim to be science trained so start acting like it.

we know there is no theist god, so what is there?

Old 01-27-2019, 04:14 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,393,070 times
GoCardinals, I thought your op should be a Sticky before you wrote it!
I don't know why people would give you guff from that post.
Makes perfect sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality