Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2019, 02:56 PM

995 posts, read 510,443 times

Advertisements

I just cannot believe that in this day and era, that people still believe in an unimaginably cruel, sadistic G-d who would send his children to an eternity of torment. That was something *humans* invented and inserted into the Bible to instill mortal fear of their followers. I will say it once, I will say it a million times - there is no Hell after you die.

Hell is that that deaf school in Argentina where those deaf kids were brutally raped - and that's plenty bad enough.

Religion is an absolute curse on humanity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2019, 03:08 PM

50,840 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_Thinker View Post
I just cannot believe that in this day and era, that people still believe in an unimaginably cruel, sadistic G-d who would send his children to an eternity of torment. That was something *humans* invented and inserted into the Bible to instill mortal fear of their followers. I will say it once, I will say it a million times - there is no Hell after you die.

Hell is that that deaf school in Argentina where those deaf kids were brutally raped - and that's plenty bad enough.

Religion is an absolute curse on humanity.
I'm not willing to be quite as conclusive as you, but I think you're on the right track.

Old 02-19-2019, 04:14 PM

63,819 posts, read 40,109,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppiesandKittens View Post
Yes, there is a literal Hell. Even Jesus mentioned it; see the story of Lazarus.
Then how could you even pretend to love such a God?????

Old 02-19-2019, 04:51 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,195,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Fundies blur the line between love and fear.

They're afraid if they don't love the monster, it will toast them for eternity.

Old 02-19-2019, 05:21 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,587,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Fundies blur the line between love and fear.

They're afraid if they don't love the monster, it will toast them for eternity.
Fundys make me think of the phrase ... the irrational mind makes the rational seem insane.

Old 02-19-2019, 06:08 PM

950 posts, read 692,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
Fundys make me think of the phrase ... the irrational mind makes the rational seem insane.
That's why Ex-fundies created the group Fundamentalists Anonymous. Same principle as Alcoholics Anonymous.

Old 02-19-2019, 06:22 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,195,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monastic555 View Post
That's why Ex-fundies created the group Fundamentalists Anonymous. Same principle as Alcoholics Anonymous.
May they live long and prosper.

And may some of our local fundies one day see the real light.

Old 02-23-2019, 07:27 PM

2,625 posts, read 3,415,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
I think you could make a scriptural case for both sides of the argument, but I have taken a non-traditional view. I think the authors were just trying to describe in terms relatable to their physical world or culture at the time, much like they refer to God sitting on a throne. If I had to convey visual the most horrible place imaginable, it would be burning alive forever. I believe hell is either physical or spiritual time realm where God wipes out the unsaved from existence. There is no coming back from that death. It is eternal in that you will never be created again. I based this on Matthew 10:28

"Do not fear those who kill the body, but are unable to kill the soul; but rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in Hell.”

Jesus clearly says that everything about us, body and soul will be destroyed. Plus, it just doesn't make logical sense for God to keep people alive forever to torment them. This would mean God would have to create a new physical body with nerve endings that will experience the fire pain but the body does not get consumed. This is a great article that covers it in more depth

The Nature of Hell | Eternity | Lamb and Lion Ministries

At any rate, the thought of being told you will no longer exist anymore while knowing others go on to eternal life would be terrifying and horrible enough.

The above-boldfaced comment made me think of something I came across on the web somewhat recently. That is, I stumbled across a quote from the late scientist and prolific author Isaac Asimov (about death and reflecting on the probability, in his mind, that there may be no so-called “afterlife”). He said:

"What could be better, after a long life, than an endless, dreamless sleep?"

I'm not asserting here, in definitive or absolute terms, that there is or isn't an "afteflife" by whatever definition (I don't claim knowledge about this pro or con). His statement just made me think to myself:

"You know, to know that, at the end of your lifespan, your brain-mind-spirit will be 'blank' (i.e., non-existent) and hence there will be no more struggles, worries, concerns, fears, boredom, the continual need to sustain yourself and possibly others in life, the continual need to keep yourself preoccupied meaningfully, the challenges of living life overall, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. will all be over and you are finally in a permanent state of rest (free of all concerns and struggles) . . . . . . . . THIS can actually be a calming and relaxing thought (or at least to some of us). Do you all really really really really want to live FOREVER AND EVER AND EVER AND EVER AND EVER AND EVER AND EVER AND EVER AND EVER AND EVER AND EVER AND EVER AND EVER AND EVER without end??? What will you do forever and ever and ever without end? I and some others (even yourself, possibly?) might actually find that you'd welcome simple extinction or expiration of body/mind/spirit after whatever passage of time . . . instead of living forever and ever in what OTHERS have labeled a 'paradise' (or 'heaven'). Would I myself actually experience it as being a 'paradise'-like way of existance to my own discernment? Maybe God has labeled it as a 'paradise' or 'heaven' from His own perspective but any of us might come to feel otherwise if we actually experienced it over whatever stretch of time and may actually come to welcome an 'endless dreamless sleep' instead of eternal existence."

Just "food-for-thought" to ponder.

Old 02-23-2019, 07:38 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 10 days ago)

35,636 posts, read 17,982,736 times
I didn't read the whole thread, but I'm intrigued by people's reports in after near-death experiences.

My sister experienced a near death experience on the surgical table, as a small child, where she rose above the room and was able to witness what was going on with the doctors and nurses while she was being revived. She was able to see them, and describe them, although they had entered the room after she was under anesthesia and her eyes were closed. She didn't enter the realm where the light was calling her, as many near death patients do, but still, she was out cold and was observing the behavior in the surgical room correctly.

SO. There are books about people in life after death experiences. MOST are wonderful experiences, but many are horrific. And the wonderful ones are very similar, and the horrific ones are similar. Fire, pain, horror, unbelievable stench.

I believe it. When you hear the same story over and over, I give it credibility. It is worth noting that nearly ALL the life after death accounts are positive, not negative.

Old 02-23-2019, 09:48 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Well done Mystic. Problem of Evil. You don't think that God is evil - you don't think That kind of god could exist. Neither do we atheists. You do believe in a god that is not like that; we don't. But we agree an a lot more than we might think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality