Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2019, 06:54 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,862,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
Read the Bible.
I have.

Quote:
I'd also suggest watching this video if you doubt its divine authorship:
So you use the Bible to prove the Bible? Brilliant!

The video is standard Christian apologetics. AS for witnesses. You realise that the anonymous authors of your gospel never even met your Jesus right?

Quote:
No, they did not. The message of the Gospel stood in complete contrast to Greek and other forms of paganism. No Greek would have submitted to Zeus or any other false god as a doulos - a slave. They considered their gods as friends, ancestors, etc. Pagans abhorred humility and looked down on their slaves. However, if you believe that Jesus paid the full and complete price for your sins, then you acknowledge He has purchased you for redemption that that you are not your own. I am not my own; I happily profess that I am a slave of Christ Jesus, the One who purchased me.
Happy to be a slave! Yep! That's just how the Church wants you to be. Personally, I value myself more highly.

Last edited by Rafius; 03-15-2019 at 07:02 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2019, 08:55 AM

16,784 posts, read 4,989,284 times
Quote:
Read the Bible. I'd also suggest watching this video if you doubt its divine authorship:
You should read some real historians.

Quote:
Not Wallace, the ex policeman who works from the premise the gospels are eyewitness accounts, to come to the conclusion they are eyewitness accounts, when we know they are not eyewitness accounts?

If he uses the same methods as a Christian as he did a sa policeman, he has probably sent more innocent men to death row than guilty ones.

Quote:
No, they did not. The message of the Gospel stood in complete contrast to Greek and other forms of paganism. No Greek would have submitted to Zeus or any other false god as a doulos - a slave. They considered their gods as friends, ancestors, etc. Pagans abhorred humility and looked down on their slaves. However, if you believe that Jesus paid the full and complete price for your sins, then you acknowledge He has purchased you for redemption that that you are not your own. I am not my own; I happily profess that I am a slave of Christ Jesus, the One who purchased me.
Which has no bearing on reality whatsoever.

Old 03-15-2019, 08:58 AM

16,784 posts, read 4,989,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
[/b]

Yes, NDEs are going to match up to what we have been taught during our lives, and others have said the same thing here, but they are still all so remarkably similar.
According to the science on NDEs, they are remarkably different, and demonstrate they are cultural constructs of the brain.

Old 03-15-2019, 09:01 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,437,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
I have.

So you use the Bible to prove the Bible? Brilliant!

The video is standard Christian apologetics. AS for witnesses. You realise that the anonymous authors of your gospel never even met your Jesus right?
So you didn't watch the video, did you? You're the one who asked for evidence, but you do not accept it. Here it is for you again. This man was an atheist homicide detective who decided to apply his skill set to evaluate the veracity of the Bible. Well, having done that, he's now a Christian!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCHJbO-3-jA

The lack of mention of the destruction of the temple in 70 AD reveals the Gospels were written before that time. The Book of Acts also does not mention what transpired in 70 AD. Many people tell lies that these books were written after 70 AD.

https://carm.org/when-were-gospels-written-and-by-whom

As J. Warner Wallace says, this is akin to a history book of NYC that omits the events of 9/11. What does that tell you about the time such a history book would have been written?

No, what we have in the Gospel is akin to a prediction of 9/11 in a history book of NYC that we can prove was written beforehand. We know this, as Jesus predicted the destruction of the temple.

Quote:
Happy to be a slave! Yep! That's just how the Church wants you to be. Personally, I value myself more highly.
I am a slave of Christ, not a slave of man. The "church" refers to the body of Christ. It is the community of believers. It is NOT any one specific institution. Fellow believers are brothers and sisters in Christ. We are to serve and minister to one another for the Lord's sake. That is, our highest and ultimate service is to God.

Old 03-15-2019, 09:07 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,437,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
You should read some real historians.
Well, if I had listened to real historians and not internet historians, I might not have been fooled into losing my faith at the age of 14. One of the things that internet historians claim is that the Gospel is built on pagan myths and all that nonsense. However, this is false. These are lies. Here's a very instructive video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfV_tc32diM

Old 03-15-2019, 09:13 AM

1,402 posts, read 477,888 times
Quote:
As J. Warner Wallace says, this is akin to a history book of NYC that omits the events of 9/11. What does that tell you about the time such a history book would have been written?

No, what we have in the Gospel is akin to a prediction of 9/11 in a history book of NYC that we can prove was written beforehand. We know this, as Jesus predicted the destruction of the temple.
Since you bring it up, do you also believe that 9/11 was an inside job... and that the moon landing was filmed in a Hollywood studio... and that the CIA/Mafia/LBJ killed JFK? Because you seem to be prone to accepting conspiracy theories, as opposed to relying on actual historical evidence...

Old 03-15-2019, 09:21 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,195,004 times
Anybody who uses CARM as a source for "truth" is indeed a gullible Christian sheep.

Old 03-15-2019, 09:21 AM

2,140 posts, read 362,475 times
Um the Bible has been rewritten countless times, in different versions of Hebrew I believe, historically, then re-re-re transcribed to fit the political power/royalty at what’re given time... and

Are people supposed to ignore this history? Fact based history?

The Bible is cherry-picked/selectively interpreted by everyone to suit their ideas. Everyone knows this.

Everyone.

Old 03-15-2019, 09:26 AM

Sorry. Not a sinner here.

Define sin - no don’t...

I won’t wait decades or centuries for a Biblical answer.

My goodness. This thread is enlightening.

Last edited by paperwing; 03-15-2019 at 09:27 AM.. Reason: No edit made

Old 03-15-2019, 09:46 AM

King James Version

Version

I repeat: Version.

(Rhetorical question) Who is King James and why is his version so special?

It’s less draconian? Well, yeah, the super evil scary stuff was rejected over time.

Religion is, of course extremely important throughout history. Faith among individuals and communities can do enormous good.

But... there is always a but.

I’m not willing to accept having people be punished, forced or denied any secular law or right because an un-cited ancient political alleged theory demands it kinda-sorta - but you have to refer to the right version and believe so-and-so’s interpretation...

No. No. No. For those who cherish and rely on the Bible (current rewrite/edition) that is their right. According to US documents. But that’s where it’s supposed to stop.

It’s insane to expect people who don’t follow that book (which is pretty vague and hypocritical, deliberately in my view) to accept secular legislation based on it?

Hell no.

Stunning and alarming that this is an issue. Anywhere at all.

Endnote: per the Bible, everyone is going to hell. It doesn’t take much! Oh but repentance is the cure? Well, that applies universally. So sin, repentance/forgiveness = Heaven. Yay! Everyone is equal!

Yeah.. it just has no place in secular law. Period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality