Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2019, 01:27 PM

6,222 posts, read 4,013,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
It isn't Hell that's banned from discussion - science and politics is. If you mean in theist and atheist circles, there is surely no Ban. Some theists love to talk about it and atheists rather like it too, as it makes God look so bad.

Arach (and you) were both right - the belief in hellthreat Is (or so it looks to me) gradually being dropped as discussion goes on. Some have dropped it altogether, some cling to it and other have modified it (say -'Separation') So there are various views on it, but it is (I think) gradually being phased out.
My post was mostly addressing the Christianity forum. Mystic and some of the others do not appear at all comfortable with hell discussions...they have their view on it and it seems that's the view they'd like for the entire forum to hold...it's really not up for discussion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2019, 01:31 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
My post was mostly addressing the Christianity forum. Mystic and some of the others do not appear at all comfortable with hell discussions...they have their view on it and it seems that's the view they'd like for the entire forum to hold...it's really not up for discussion.
Ah. I see. Well, there's quote enough that has already been banned from discussion - perhaps with some justification. I don't think that the concept of and belief in - or indeed disbelief in - hell ought to be one of those things banned outright. It is so useful to the atheist polemic.

Old 03-17-2019, 01:36 PM

6,222 posts, read 4,013,181 times
Quote:
Ah. I see. Well, there's quote enough that has already been banned from discussion - perhaps with some justification. I don't think that the concept of and belief in - or indeed disbelief in - hell ought to be one of those things banned outright. It is so useful to the atheist polemic.
It is oddly neat to observe how in love you are with a world-view.

Old 03-17-2019, 01:40 PM

63,818 posts, read 40,109,822 times
Quote:
Ah. I see. Well, there's quite enough that has already been banned from discussion - perhaps with some justification. I don't think that the concept of and belief in - or indeed disbelief in - hell ought to be one of those things banned outright. It is so useful to the atheist polemic.
Since the ONLY justification for the recent ban you have managed to con the powers that be into is its usefulness to the atheist polemic, your satisfaction is obvious.

Old 03-17-2019, 02:08 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,325,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
The Hebrews?...We Don’t have an eternal hell...
Yes, my mistake.

I meant the early Christians.

Old 03-17-2019, 02:26 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
It is oddly neat to observe how in love you are with a world-view.
If you like. It is atheism, and I am an atheist. Did you expect me to detest it? In any case, that is neither here nor there in respect of which arguments are useful to us and which are not. It is not very useful in trying to conjure some Bias accusation out of it, because both sides are biased. Of course they are. That doesn't matter - what matters is who has the best case. Theism doesn't, which is why it has to try to fudge up false arguing points like atheists are biased.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Since the ONLY justification for the recent ban you have managed to con the powers that be into is its usefulness to the atheist polemic, your satisfaction is obvious.
Me? Oh man. you made my day! It was nasty old Trans who got something or other banned from the forum. What was it again?

Old 03-17-2019, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
Here's what I KNOW you and others will never believe, as indeed you've just stated: I could have said all the same things.
I haven't read the rest of your post yet - but this is probably the only sentence I'm likely to agree with. At least up to a point. It is true that there's really nothing you can say on an internet forum that will get me to believe whatever religious claim you're about to make.

But to say that I will *never* believe is presumptuous - because maybe some good evidence will come along some day and I'll be the most devout Christian who ever lived. I doubt it. A lot. But it could happen, no?

Quote:
In fact, I most certainly have, over the years, in one formulation or another, stated all the same things. I certainly could have and would have persisted in atheism, as I had for 14 years. It would have been inconceivable that I'd be saying what I'm saying now a mere three months ago. But then Jesus found me when I was NOT looking for Him!
Yeah, this is another one of those evangelist/proselytizing tropes I've heard a thousand times before. "I wasn't looking for Jesus, but ... there he was!"

Which is rather insulting to those who have spent years looking for him and never found him.

This trope also falls in direct contradiction to another trope I hear all the time: "If you believe with all your heart, you will find Jesus" or "Jesus will then come to you" or something similar.

So on one hand, Jesus barges into the lives of some people unanounced and uninvited - rather rude, in my opinion - while on the other, you have to believe first before you can really know Jesus or understand the Bible.

Well ... which is it? And while I know these two tropes are not mutually exclusive, if Jesus truly does do *both* at the same time, then, really, what's the point of doing anything at all? Might as well just live your life as an atheist and if you find Jesus under your couch or lying in bed with you in the pitch dark of the wee hours, then hey! You can choose whether or not to believe.

But the reality of it is that he either comes looking for you - or you have to go looking for him - depending on which one is more convenient to the argument being made at the time. Who cares about consistancy.

Quote:
I received the inward call of God. He has demonstrated Himself to me beyond any shadow of a doubt in my mind, and has physically interceded in my own life and left me with a lasting faith of not only His existence but the eternal security that I am given.
This is the equivalent of those scam callers who say something like, "When I joined the program, I made $15,000 my very first month! By the end of the year, I had made my first million. Now I make over $400,000 per year. I can tell you without a doubt that the program works - it made such a difference in my life and it can work for you, too! Now, I'm a permanent member and I'll be making money and have financial security for the rest of my life. You can have it all too ... but first you need to sign up for our program. Just give your credit card number - sorry, we do not take debt cards ... and you'll be on your way to life you only ever dreamed of!"

I mean, tell me they don't both sound virtually identical?

Quote:
And so now I have faith. You probably think I'm "lying for Jesus," as you put it. Indeed, I have had unbelievers tell me they don't believe my story. That's quite amusing to me because I know from personal experience what's true in my own life!
Well, the "liars for Jesus" made it difficult to trust any of these shenanigans.

But the real reason why I find it difficult to believe these stories - not just your specifically - is because there are just too many similarities between witnessing Christians.

For example, there is the classic approach that goes like this: "I was once a criminal. I did drugs. I partied all the time. I had sex with multiple partners. I robbed and got into fights and ... I did this and I did that. But then I found Jesus and suddenly my whole life turned around!"

It's amazing how many Christians had the exact same set of past circumstances - just vague enough to omit any particular details but detailed enough to sound convincing to someone who wants to be convinced.

But ... there was a time in my life, just after graduating high school and my life was in free fall, I had some genuine baddie friends (of course they all ended up in prison). Thing is, they have a certain mannerism, a certain way they talk, a certain voice inflection, a certain vocabulary range, etc. And the people witnessing from the perspective of "I was once a baddie and then I found Jesus" do not have those mannerisms. None. Zero.

Not only that, but I have seen, and in some cases personally met, a few baddies who *were* genuine bad guys who did find Jesus - and guess what. Yep. Those baddie mannerisms were still there. Oh, they no longer did bad things - but they did NOT go from King Gang-Banger to Ned Flanders with a finger snap.

And for those reasons I have a *very* hard time believing that most of this is true. Oh sure, I'm confident that there have been people who were in a lousy place in their lives and religion helped them get out of it. No doubt. But the ones who push it - the ones who try to sell their experience like a drug dealer on the corner pushing their "primo stuff," they make me suspicious.

It's like those signs in front of churches - the ones where you can rearrange the letters to make a custom sign. Unless every pastor is extremely clever, I have no doubt there is some book or list somewhere that is filled with cutsy religious sayings designed especially for those signs.

Or, during sermons, I've noticed that the pastor always ... *always* ... has an anecdote for whatever situation, event, or Bible verse he decides to talk about that Sunday. I remember thinking how fortuitous it must be for this one man to have so many varying experiences with so many varied people that he always has a story for every possible contingency.

But is that true? No ... because I think there are certainly books and seminars on how to be an effective pastor, and those resources probably have entire lists of anecdotes to give to the congregation when talking about hell or being saved or sexual impurity or whatever the sermon happens to be about that day.

And in those veins, I personally believe that a lot of this generic witnessing is a sales pitch with a script. It's usually pretty obvious when the witnessing comes from the person's own arsenal of personal experience - and when they're just talking out of their backside. Ya know?

Quote:
As you said, you can't make yourself believe. I don't doubt that, as this is a Biblical doctrine. In John 6:44, Jesus conveys that you cannot come to Him unless the Father wills it. (And if the Father wills it, then His call is not something one is able to resist.) And 1 Corinthians 1:21 speaks to this:

For since in the wisdom of God, the world through its wisdom did not know Him, God was pleased through the foolishness of what was preached to save those who believe.
And this is why Christian doctrine is flagrantly immoral. So let's say for the sake of argument that the Bible is true. If the Father never wills it, I get to burn in hell for eternity for something that wasn't even my fault. Is that the mark of a good, fair, and just God to you?

Moreover, don't get me started on how often the Bible talks about how one should stay ignorant and foolish in order to believe the faith. I find that rather ... odd, don't you think? That one cannot be both wordly and knowledgeable as well as have faith? The problem is - as the authors of the Bible clearly knew - that the more you know, the less likely you are to believe in the crazy absurdities found in that book.

Quote:
I will never convince every atheist to have faith, because faith is not given by me. It is given by God.
Which, again, is a testament to the immorality of your doctrine. If it's not up to me to have faith and, instead, I have to wait around for God to give it to me, how can I be deserving of eternal torment?

By the way, your version of Christianity stands in direct contravention to the common Christian claim that "non-believers send themselves to Hell" for "choosing" not to believe.

So ... which is it?

Quote:
Many Christians balk at predestination in general; however, the doctrine of predestination is not only Biblical but indispensable to understanding Scripture. The only hope I can have is to play some role in growing God's kingdom even if only among just a few who hear what I'm saying.
Then why does God send non-believers to Hell? Or, in fact, punish them at all?

Why even create non-believers at all if our final fate is all preordained?

Don't you find that at all immoral to create humans that will end up tormented forever through no fault of their own - and worse still - deliberately set their ultimate fate as being doomed to eternal damnation?

Quote:
Indeed, the purpose of evangelism is not so much that God needs us to do His work, but that we need to do some of that work ourselves as an act of worship.
Actually, the purpose for evangelism is to conquer the world and put every last man, woman, and child under the Christian church. Because Christianity, like Islam, has a stated mandate to rule the earth.

I take issues with both religions because neither of them, at their cores, care one whit about religious freedom or rights of any kind, really - which is why we needed a secular document to create our rights. Because you certainly won't find them anywhere within religion.

Quote:
I am putting forward what I certainly think are many cogent reasons to believe in the Gospel. (And in this thread, I haven't even addressed other issues such as the problems with evolution and uniformitarianism, and the failure of atheist cosmologies.)
I am confident that no argument you have against evolution, uniformitarianism, and cosmology are at all new and they have been thoroughly debunked. Otherwise, you would be collecting your Nobel Prize for proving God. Or someone else would have ... and probably would have a long time ago.

YOU can believe what you want. And while I may offer up counter-arguments to a lot of God-claims made on this forum, I will never tell someone they should deconvert or that they should give up their faith. As an atheist, it would please me greatly if you did - because that would be one less person in the world who believes in something we atheists see as completely irrational - not to mention damaging to the progress of humanity.

My view is that as long as your free to proselytize, I'm free to counter-proselytize. Those reading our posts can make up their own minds.

But forgive me if I do not feel kindly toward *any* religious dogma that, as I said before, has a mandate to conquer the world.

Quote:
No single reason in isolation is a smoking gun. But when I look at my own experiences, as well as the MANY testimonies of other Christians--and in conjunction with the scientific and historical reasons to have faith--then there's no room for doubt!
There's room for an entire universe of doubt. Testimonies are the worst form of evidence for anything - let alone the most important decision of them all.

I think it's a travesty that people such as Abraham, Adam, Paul, Moses, and many others - including every Hebrew involved in the Exodus saw God, interacted with God, saw directly with their own eyes unquestioned miracles and divine power. For them, there was absolutely no doubt that God, Yahweh, existed.

So why do we now have to make a decision regarding our eternal soul with nothing to work with except faith - which is not at all a pathway to truth. Why do I have to gamble that Christianity is the right religion and Yahweh the right God - when there are hundreds of other practicing religions and loads of gods to believe in? Why, because I just happen to live in a Christian country? If I had stayed in India, I would have become a Hindu - if I became anything at all. And if you had been born there, you would almost certainly be singing the praises of Ganesh or Shiva or one of the other Hindu gods.

There's no way I would gamble my eternal soul and the only concrete thing I have to base it on is the geographical odds of where I was born. Gee, must be nice for everyone born in a Christian nation. Guess you all dodged that bullet, eh? It's too bad that 2/3rds of the world's population were not born in a Christian nation and do not believe in your God. Too bad for them, right?

I mean, that's great that you don't have any doubt - but that's what religion demands of its adherants. Do not doubt because that is corrosive to faith. Doubting causes a person to ask questions, to investigate, to really think about what they believe, to delve into epistomology and logic - which usually causes their eyes to open and realize, reluctantly, that they have absolutely no good reason to believe what they do.

Because the people who flew those planes into the WTC on 9/11 - they didn't have any doubt either. So certain were they of the truth of Islam that they literally martyred themselves to prove the primacy of their own religion. Which is what happens when two religions with a mandate to rule the world begin butting up against each other.

Quote:
Unfortunately, you seem to think this debate hinges on what it will take to convince you. You seem to think that I must have failed if I do not convince you. However, if not you, then perhaps there is someone else reading this message who needs to hear what I'm saying. For every argument, there will be a counterargument. Ultimately, you will believe what you want to believe.
Even if that were true - which it's not - I don't believe something just because I want to believe it.

In fact, that's rather ridiculous. Don't you think that I would love to live on forever after I die? Don't you think I wouldn't love to have an all-powerful and loving God who cares about me and always does what's best for me (and yet still allows me to make my own choices). Do you not think that I would want to live forever in a wonderful paradise where there is no more sorrow and sickness - no more pain and death? Do you not think that I would love to see all of my loved ones again? Yes, it would be SOO easy to have everything I need to know spelled out in a book.

The atheist position is the hardest position of all because we have to give all of that up. And we give all of that up without gaining a single thing for ourselves. It's not like we just believe in a different Heaven and everything is the same as Christianity except without a God.

No, we atheists leave ourself bereft of eternal life, of a loving God ... all of that. Do you think we did that without thought or care for the truth? In fact, we became atheists because, by all the available evidence, a lack of a god *is* the truth. The universe doesn't care what I want - or what you want - or what the entirety of humanity wants.

And if it means there is no safety net at the bottom of the fall, so be it -- that is the truth of it. And whether I believe the net is there or not, I'll still hit the pavement at 9.8 meters per second squared. Whether I want to or not.

One of the mantras of many atheists is to live our life to the fullest because this is the only one we get. And yet I am still fairly young but I have a painful disability that limits my mobility and prevents me from doing 99% of the things I used to enjoy. That is my life - the ONLY life I know for sure I will have - and it was ruined by a defective body.

So wouldn't it be really provocative for me to believe that this *isn't* my only chance? That once I die I'll be able to live again and not be crippled up and a virtual shut-in? Oh yes ... yes it would. BUT, there is no reason for me to believe that is true and I'm not going to hang on to an idea of eternal life when there is absolutely no reason for me to believe it.

I, of many people, have every reason to believe in God. But I don't. Not because I "believe what I want to believe" but because I believe that which can be demonstrated to be true. It is believers who believe what they want to believe - they are the ones who deny science, deny reality, and construct an alternate version of reality where their beliefs will be safe. Even to the point of constructing an entirely different - and exceedingly faulty - set of physical laws, scientific proofs, cosmological models while ignoring and denying the parade of fallacies in their reasoning.

But I do agree ... I know I'm not going to convince you of anything. But anyone who has the guts and courage to read what I say might get something out of this and, perhaps, have their eyes opened. Even if they flatly deny everything I say today, that little seed of doubt that I planted in their mind might take root - and grow to full-fledged non-belief maybe years or even decades from now. I was already told flat-out by some people that my posts actually did help them become a full-fledged atheist, so I know I'm doing my job. No doubt you're doing yours as well.

Old 03-17-2019, 04:37 PM

Quote:
I didn't notice a discussion about Hell being banned.

What I saw banned was people going off on the tangent of scientific evolution.

Old 03-17-2019, 04:59 PM

10,043 posts, read 4,970,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
I didn't notice a discussion about Hell being banned.
What I saw banned was people going off on the tangent of scientific evolution.
This reply is off beat, but I find 'biblical hell' will be banned !
I'm not talking about banned from the forum, but banned from earth forever.
What I mean by that is according to Rev. 20:13-14 the Bible's hell comes to a final end ( banned, so to speak )
After everyone in biblical hell ( Hebrew sheol ) is ' delivered up ' ( meaning resurrected out of hell ) then emptied-out hell is cast vacant into that symbolic ' second death ' for vacated hell ( temporary grave for the sleeping dead ).
'Sleep' because the dead know nothing, nothing but sleep - John 11:11-14; Psalms 6:5; 13:3; 115:17; 146:4; Isaiah 38:18; Ecclesiastes 9:5

Old 03-17-2019, 08:08 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,437,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post

I, of many people, have every reason to believe in God. But I don't. Not because I "believe what I want to believe" but because I believe that which can be demonstrated to be true. It is believers who believe what they want to believe - they are the ones who deny science, deny reality, and construct an alternate version of reality where their beliefs will be safe. Even to the point of constructing an entirely different - and exceedingly faulty - set of physical laws, scientific proofs, cosmological models while ignoring and denying the parade of fallacies in their reasoning.
My belief in God does not in any way deny reality or reason. You start from the false premise that faith contradicts reason. It does not.

You say that you have every reason to desire eternal life. But will you earnestly evaluate the evidence? Do you think that DNA--which is basically a form of code like a computer code, and more complex than any computer code ever written--could write itself? I mean, without God, that's what you're left with. Even atheist cosmologies fail, as there is no mechanism to explain the formation of stars and planets--even if a Big Bang that caused the universe to spring into existence (for no reason at all) happened. The emergence of such order from disorder violates the second law of thermodynamics.

You might respond with the typical canard: if the universe needed a creator, then doesn't God? That's been debunked, as it were. (A highly misused term that atheists love.) We know the universe had a beginning. We didn't always know that; Aristotle, for example, believed the universe had no beginning. But we now know the universe had a beginning. The theory of relatively suggests as much. https://www.allaboutscience.org/theo...relativity.htm

It suggests that space and time had a beginning. So, given the order in the universe, you need an intelligent Creator who exists outside of space of time, who has existed since eternity past. It's difficult to imagine anything existing since eternity past, but we know this is an inevitability, regardless of which view of the universe you subscribe to. In short, only things that were created (such as the universe, and the genetic information that gives rise to all life forms) need a creator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiCec8SiDuI

I can show you more about evolution and all its flaws, but I understand that topic is verboten here. So let me know and I can show you.

Anyhow, really, how do you explain consciousness solely with material processes? It plainly cannot be done. Without consciousness, or a soul, we're philosophical zombies: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophical_zombie

Quote:
And this is why Christian doctrine is flagrantly immoral. So let's say for the sake of argument that the Bible is true. If the Father never wills it, I get to burn in hell for eternity for something that wasn't even my fault. Is that the mark of a good, fair, and just God to you?
Here's the problem: God would be perfectly just to send everyone to hell. Every single person, as none of us can live up to His righteousness. However, God goes beyond this and offers mercy, which He is not required to do. Eternal life is a gracious gift from God. It is totally unearned.

You yourself said: you have every reason to believe in God and the afterlife. Wouldn't it behoove you to explore this topic honestly?

Now, if you'd like to be saved, there are plenty of quick, concise online resources to help you get saved. I'll post the link below.

https://www.allaboutgod.com/how-to-be-saved.htm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality