Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2019, 08:00 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 3 days ago)

35,613 posts, read 17,935,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
There probably isn't a lot of overlap between people who believe in reincarnation and atheists. I personally don't because that is a knowledge position that lacks proof IMO. A person could believe natural laws would allow this.
I don't see how. In my experience, if you can't see it/touch it/taste it/feel it/hear it, atheists don't believe in it.

And I don't see how you can prove reincarnation, except by faith, in that that is unseen, but still felt in a spiritual way.

It's the same faith as seeing signs, or miracles, and believing in them that atheists would call coincidences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2019, 08:05 AM

15,853 posts, read 6,311,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I don't see how. In my experience, if you can't see it/touch it/taste it/feel it/hear it, atheists don't believe in it.

And I don't see how you can prove reincarnation, except by faith, in that that is unseen, but still felt in a spiritual way.

It's the same faith as seeing signs, or miracles, and believing in them that atheists would call coincidences.
Most atheists seem like they appreciate that there are things beyond our capabilities to understand. They may forever be beyond our reach. Atheist are just less likely to go putting a name on those things until we have more info.

Edit: Can you define what you mean by spiritual?

Old 02-28-2019, 08:09 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 3 days ago)

35,613 posts, read 17,935,039 times
Quote:
Most atheists seem like they appreciate that there are things beyond our capabilities to understand. They may forever be beyond our reach. Atheist are just less likely to go putting a name on those things until we have more info.

Edit: Can you define what you mean by spiritual?
I had to google "spiritual definition" to make sure I was correct in my belief.

"Having a spirit or a soul". And spirit, and soul, I believe are synonyms here.

I certainly think you can have the gift of wonder, and joy, and be ethically and morally positive, but that's not the same thing as believing you have a "soul" IMHO.

Old 02-28-2019, 08:12 AM

4,466 posts, read 1,604,553 times
The R&S forum is about discussing R&S. You don't have to believe in either to engage in a discussion about it. For example, I enjoy discussing paranormal things, and cryptozoology, but I don't believe in Bigfoot or poltergeists. The difference for me, is that one does not affect anything, where one affects a whole lot of things. A lot of posts on here are political or related to current events. They just happen to have a religious slant to them. These are generally the ones I participate in. I know that many of the religious posters would prefer not to have atheists or agnostics post, but last I checked, we are free to do so for whatever reason we choose.

Also, believe it or not, atheists aren't some homogenous blob who all think alike either. You probably have about as many answers and reasons as you do atheists that post. We are also a very curious bunch, and participate in MANY discussions related to religion and otherwise. We are, in general, a group that likes to debate and share ideas as well.

In other words, we post here because we want to. As to the why? Well, to be perfectly honest, it doesn't matter why.

Old 02-28-2019, 08:15 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,853,575 times
Quote:
if you can't see it/touch it/taste it/feel it/hear it, atheists don't believe in it.
if you can't see it/touch it/taste it/feel it/hear it, why would you want to believe in it? What use is it?

Old 02-28-2019, 08:16 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,367,033 times
Quote:
.....the Atheists, who believe we have no soul, no transcendent
"being" that might exist .... after the death
I forgot, that WAS a major part of my ex's belief...and my friend's boyfriend before he died in his 60s.
(That changed the last 3 hours before he died, visiting the Other Side 3xs and coming back here...
and he was a staunch believer in 'nothing after death'.)

Old 02-28-2019, 08:17 AM

15,853 posts, read 6,311,569 times
Quote:
I had to google "spiritual definition" to make sure I was correct in my belief.

"Having a spirit or a soul". And spirit, and soul, I believe are synonyms here.

I certainly think you can have the gift of wonder, and joy, and be ethically and morally positive, but that's not the same thing as believing you have a "soul" IMHO.
The group I was in didn't believe in the soul. They are not alone. I asked this question here:

//www.city-data.com/forum/chris...ul-come-2.html

Old 02-28-2019, 08:19 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
The group I was in didn't believe in the soul. They are not alone. I asked this question here:

//www.city-data.com/forum/chris...ul-come-2.html
Interesting, L8. I didn't know that.

Old 02-28-2019, 08:20 AM

16,665 posts, read 15,660,325 times
Quote:
I think some have misunderstood some of my post.

I certainly don't think that everyone who is spiritual is Christian, nor is this forum about Christianity. Pagans are spiritual, wiccans are spiritual, Buddhists, Hindus, unspecifically named philosophies who believe there is a life that's not restricted to with the confines of a body are all spiritual.

All those believers would be attracted to a forum such as this one.

And those who have none of those beliefs - the Atheists, who believe we have no soul, no transcendent "being" that might exist as one with each other, or individually as a specific spirit that can live on after the death of the host body, who don't believe there is any benefit to individual or corporate prayer or asking a question of the universe; who don't believe there is any design to our beings besides just happenstance, have a subforum for atheists.

My question remains, for those Atheists, what is the benefit you receive coming to a forum for those who are trying to sort out and express their belief in a Higher Power, for which you have no belief or even respect?

(It would be one thing is most atheists on this forum came with the attitude of, I really don't get it, I'm struggling as to how otherwise intelligent appearing people could believe in a God. But that's not how it's usually presented. It's dismissive, disrespectful and angry).

*shrug*
Addressing the comment about atheists believing we have no souls, I am reminded of the most militant atheist I have ever known. He was outspoken and kept his work space decorated with memes and cartoons about atheism. He told his children that he would come back and haunt them forever if they had prayers or a religious service for his funeral. He obviously thought some kind of spirit would live on in some fashion after he dies.

A substantial number of the atheists who post here were once Christians. Some of them will tell you that they had a great deal of anguish discarding their faith. Participating in this forum is therapeutic for some of them. They are finding people of like minds. Some of them are quite angry that they were fed religion by their families for all of their growing years. Some of them feel like they wasted decades of their lives on religion.

Old 02-28-2019, 08:27 AM

16,665 posts, read 15,660,325 times
Quote:

I think you are painting the entire atheist community with far too broad a brush. Atheists, be definition, do not believe in any God (or gods). Whether they believe anything else is irrelevant. Some of them believe in spiritual things and many things that defy normal explanations. Some of them have said that there are things that they have no explanation for, but indications are that they exist, so they have an open mind while they wait for an explanation for those things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality