Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2019, 05:11 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,631,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Confusing title thread - shouldn’t it be ‘People who DON’T believe in a higher power’?
Absolutely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2019, 05:13 PM

6,222 posts, read 4,008,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
If you're talking to me, I've never been "confused" about anything here.

This is a discussion - if you don't care to discuss it, I guess it is kind of confusing to me that you're posting.
Because they would like for you to stop discussing this topic. And perhaps they are wanting to save the forum owner some bandwidth.

Old 02-28-2019, 07:08 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 1 day ago)

35,582 posts, read 17,927,273 times
I'm officially done with this thread, and appreciated the discussion. Interesting.

Old 02-28-2019, 08:42 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,083,547 times
Quote:

I think you said that very well. I believe what I believe, and no amount of being told to prove it to detractors or shut up changes anything.

By that token, I don't give a rats ass who is atheist except if they follow me around posting ugly missives and pretending to misunderstand what I'm saying

Certainly, posters of any belief/nonbelief with thoughtful comments and statements make for a very, very interesting discussion.

It's the whole "you haven't convinced me, so stop talking" crowd just seems silly.

And for those who say well aren't Christians charged with spreading the word of God? Yes, we are. But we aren't charged with forcing the seeds to grow in those who hear it but don't believe.
I yearn for it too but such discussions really happen - and even if they do, they are very brief and quickly turn into tasteless, layman type old and beaten up rhetoric of “provide evidence that God exist”, “ I want water in the glass turn into while as an evidence that God exists, I want to see limb grow as an evidence that God exists” etc.

I think some atheists are also scared that theists are trying to convert them so they quickly take shelter under these shallow sentences.

Philosophical discussion, looks like, not only requires a curious mind and will to pursue knowledge but also some bravery.
And this seems hard to find in these discussions these days.

Old 02-28-2019, 09:01 PM

8,658 posts, read 3,853,671 times
Quote:
It really does, and that's why I'm here too.

What I don't like is when posters aggressively state that I have to convince them of my beliefs.

Posters here should be able to believe what they believe, and post it, and shouldn't be burdened with convincing anyone else.

Like, if you were to post that you really really love your new car, because ________. Someone shouldn't be able to come back and say well that can't be true because you haven't convinced me, and "blind spot" is subjective. And then later go on to say you've posted that trucks are worthless.

I don't really give a damn if they like my car.

You can post about your new car, and those who are interested in reading about it and looking further into it should, those who don't agree it's a pretty design shouldn't be able to insist you convince them it is.

Or anyway, that's how I see it.
Interesting, Clara. Who is forcing you to engage? Simply express your beliefs are your beliefs - and let it go at that. That you are attempting to offer arguments for what you believe is as much on you as anyone else.

Old 03-01-2019, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
I yearn for it too but such discussions really happen - and even if they do, they are very brief and quickly turn into tasteless, layman type old and beaten up rhetoric of “provide evidence that God exist”, “ I want water in the glass turn into while as an evidence that God exists, I want to see limb grow as an evidence that God exists” etc.

I think some atheists are also scared that theists are trying to convert them so they quickly take shelter under these shallow sentences.

Philosophical discussion, looks like, not only requires a curious mind and will to pursue knowledge but also some bravery.

And this seems hard to find in these discussions these days.
I don't know about the bravery part, but they certainly require some level of emotional maturity.

Old 03-01-2019, 04:13 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,567,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
I don't know about the bravery part, but they certainly require some level of emotional maturity.
very true grad. I can only use my statements of belief as an example because thats what i know.

When a person has to deny that we are surrounded by life and that system of life influences us due to an anti-religious central dogma, that shows me an adolescent type brain state. i am sure that theist have the same brain states in them.

Old 03-01-2019, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
very true grad. I can only use my statements of belief as an example because thats what i know.

When a person has to deny that we are surrounded by life and that system of life influences us due to an anti-religious central dogma, that shows me an adolescent type brain state. i am sure that theist have the same brain states in them.
No one should have to declare any statements of belief or disbelief whatsoever in order to discuss world religions, mythologies, relocation, and spirituality.

Old 03-01-2019, 04:36 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,850,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llowllevellowll View Post
Hopefully it wasn't lost on you that the way you defined 1 and 3 were exactly the same except that #3 provides the why that I discussed in very first post. Thank you for confirming that post. Maybe that'll help you understand the linguistic irony here. There's no spin here. Words have meaning. Atheism only means without theism.
Is there a translator free anywhere??

Quote:
What I don't like is when posters aggressively state that I have to convince them of my beliefs.
That will be required the very second that you tell us that your beliefs are true. Until that time you have no need to - unless you are interested in discussion.

Old 03-01-2019, 04:43 AM

When you have to start vetting people, you're no different than the boogeyman you've constructed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality