Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2019, 05:01 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 11 days ago)

35,637 posts, read 17,994,810 times

Advertisements

I don't know, Miss Hepburn. If someone told Ozzy that to his face, that would be one thing. It would be hard for anyone to get over.

You really can't take personal insults to heart on an internet board. I've seen someone tell someone else they wish their baby died. I nearly killed the mom with the sick kid, but no one in her real life would have said that to her, or even thought it.

There's ugly, mean stuff that goes on on message boards and if you are sensitive at all, it's not the place to hang out.

But then, of course, you see some of the tenderest, kindest stuff happening on message boards too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2019, 05:07 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,875,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I don't know, Miss Hepburn. If someone told Ozzy that to his face, that would be one thing. It would be hard for anyone to get over.

You really can't take personal insults to heart on an internet board. I've seen someone tell someone else they wish their baby died. I nearly killed the mom with the sick kid, but no one in her real life would have said that to her, or even thought it.

There's ugly, mean stuff that goes on on message boards and if you are sensitive at all, it's not the place to hang out.
Yes, she is more sensitive than the kind of person who is usually on internet boards. Believe it or not, I am also somewhat sensitive also. But I feel like I can take anything in a written format like this. I certainly should, since I seem to dish it out. But people should sometimes be allowed to say things that they are thinking, somewhere.

Old 03-06-2019, 05:30 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,594,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
If someone told me I was a big reason
they got deeper into being an atheist I would take a loooong, humble look at myself...i mean that deeply...I would... and probably not go outdoors for 3 days.
I would have to overcome shame....and eventually forgive myself...as I forgive others...and, of course, change
I hate to be rude, but get a hold of yourself.

you have to realize some people will prey on your insecurities and not work with your strength(s) to improve the struggles so that you can be the best you.

and you would change to meet them?

Old 03-06-2019, 05:42 PM

50,863 posts, read 24,371,727 times
Quote:
You're really tiresome.

What is it you're asking, exactly?

All I see is a challenge that I'm lying.

What are you asking?
You say you're in the trenches for gay rights. What does that mean? That's a pretty simple question.

Old 03-06-2019, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
I hate to be rude, but get a hold of yourself.

you have to realize some people will prey on your insecurities and not work with your strength(s) to improve the struggles so that you can be the best you.

and you would change to meet them?
Not only that, but my impression has been that he WANTS to go down that particular road of atheism. He should actually be thanking me for encouraging him. That was a joke, but seriously, maybe that was something that I was aware of and was inadvertently encouraging him. I had been on a similar road myself in some ways.

Old 03-06-2019, 05:43 PM

Quote:
For. I think people are born with an ingrained sexuality, and it's really no one else's business who they love.

*shrug*
That opinion is being in the trenches?

Old 03-06-2019, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post

But what I DO believe in is the hell that is created in THIS world, and that is what I believe the Bible teaches, just as it is taught in Buddhism. And that is something that everyone, religious or atheist, can truthfully fear happening to them. Religious faith (whichever kind you choose) can help people with that. And people who are truly helped are a benefit to the world. So I'm sorry that so many atheists can't seem to see any good in Theistic religion.
Okay, I'm curious. Which passages in the bible say that?

Old 03-06-2019, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Even if I were to see it from that point of view, I still can't let it get to me. I am just responding to atheists anyway. It's a reaction to atheist minds that cause me to say anything they don't like.

From my point of view, atheists are always saying absurd things. I have no choice but to respond in an equally absurd way sometimes.

The really ironic thing is that in the real world, I am more at peace with and get along better with atheists than most people in general would. Sometimes I feel like, when I say something on this forum to atheists, I am trying to express what many people in the real world might be thinking already but would not express in a forum setting, or at least what I imagine they are thinking. In the real world the atheists might see more clearly that I am on their side.
You freely admit you make absurd posts?

Old 03-06-2019, 05:50 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,203,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
That opinion is being in the trenches?
Well phet, you have to admit it's a pretty big leap for an otherwise fairly typical fundie religionist.

Many of her Christian confreres still think of you as an abomination.

Old 03-06-2019, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Okay, I'm curious. Which passages in the bible say that?
All of them.

And it is the same one that the preachers speak about. They refer to it all the time, the one that exists in the real world inside of a person. The only difference is that they extend it to a supernatural world beyond this one, in addition to the one you believe in. They talk about both, literally. Because real people and events are the ONLY way that most people are able to explain and understand spiritual concepts.

I went back and read a bunch of Chick Tract fundamentalist comic books. They were teaching the same concepts that are probably taught in Buddhism. But the Christian fundamentalist teaching is actually something like: BuddhismPlus. To me, the Chick comics are teaching true things, depending on how you interpret them. No one would believe them if they weren't true on some level.

I read the gospel story this way because that is what Paul suggested: Christ is "inside" you. Which means that the crucifixion and resurrection story is also inside you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality