Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2019, 11:54 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,861,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Having faith would be a nice start. Just a small suggestion. Nothing major.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Why would we want to have such an idiotic thing as faith. You look at something that can be proven to be the worst way of arriving at what is true...and think it's a good thing to have. Utterly bizarre!
Quote:
Why do you have such hatred for yourself and other people that you would discourage their faith?
Quote:
Why do you think that THE most unreliable method of arriving at the truth is worthy of living your life by?
Quote:
Still waiting for you to explain WHY anyone would decide what is true by using a method that can be proven to be THE MOST UNRELIABLE method of deciding what is true.
Doesn't look as if Ozzy is able to explain after all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2019, 05:23 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,867,959 times
Quote:
Doesn't look as if Ozzy is able to explain after all!
I know. Especially since it was such a logical question.

Not.

Old 05-26-2019, 05:31 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Good advice, you should take it.
Take it? I invented it.

Quote:
It has served me well so far. I have encountered nothing to cause me to doubt it or the reason we exist.
It has served you very badly. You only think that it has served you well because you deny and 'forget' every time you have been debunked (1). You have encountered plenty to cause you to doubt it, but you consistently put it out of your head and pop up later on making the same old false arguments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Huh?
Ignore him I do. he simply grabs on this or that remark I make ("Sortagod", 'Springboard' or 'deny everything') and uses it as some sort of ad hom weapon he can beat me with. I'm not even bothered.

Quote:
"To clasp the hands in prayer is the beginning of an uprising against the disorder of the world."
- Karl Barth
Just as is raising your hands in horror

But it is only a start. Like wringing the hands or slapping the forehead. it serves no practical purpose, other than to sink you deeper in the belief that you are doing something valuable and profound when you are actually doing nothing much.

Quote:

Not.
It is a perfectly logical question. So logical that it should hardly need explaining.

You want to know what's true.
(a) you investigate, research, test and discuss your findings with others. That's science.
Or
(b) you believe an idea you have or that somebody told you and ignore and dismiss anything that conflicts with it. That's Faith.

Now you explain why 'Faith' is anything other than the most unreliable method of coming to conclusions about anything, quite unlogical and why you are unable to do anything but wriggle and evade Raff's point.

(1) please, Please, do not deny the debunks yet again. I had to ask posters and browsers to note each and every time I did it because I knew that you would deny it later on.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 05-26-2019 at 05:52 AM..

Old 05-26-2019, 06:28 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,867,959 times
Trans, that sounds like the same kind of rambling you say to me every time. I haven't heard a clear question yet that I haven't attempted to answer.

Humbling yourself in the silver key. Spiritual realities that you could not sense before, suddenly you are able to sense them. I am able to forgive all people, and I no longer look down upon anyone. That's the glory of my faith in Jesus Christ. Things that I used to hear about the faith are powerful realities now. Common phrases that I never understood before. It's like opening a door to the greatest world which is already in your midst. But you just couldn't see it before.

I actually respect atheists and any other position because they are basing that on what they have seen.

Old 05-26-2019, 06:52 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,861,012 times
Quote:

Not.
Au contraire! It was a perfectly logical question. You keep telling us that we should have 'faith'. Given that 'faith' can easily be proven to be the MOST unreliable way of arriving at what is or is not true, I'm asking you why you are advising us to employ that method (faith) to determine what is or isn't true. Can you tell us just why you think 'faith', given it's unreliability, is a desirable thing to have?

Last edited by Rafius; 05-26-2019 at 07:04 AM..

Old 05-26-2019, 07:00 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,584,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post

nipped "post was dribbling.

(1) please, Please, do not deny the debunks yet again. I had to ask posters and browsers to note each and every time I did it because I knew that you would deny it later on.
lets look at your base faith claim and lets decide if that base faith statement (that you take as a fundamental truth) about god/religion is the base claim we need to use in deciding how the universe works?

oh wait, we did that ... twice ... and you ran away ... lmao ...like any good fundy-think-type atheist does when truth debunks their statement of belief about god/religious

Old 05-26-2019, 09:41 AM

8,668 posts, read 3,871,862 times
Quote:
Trans, that sounds like the same kind of rambling you say to me every time. I haven't heard a clear question yet that I haven't attempted to answer.

Humbling yourself in the silver key. Spiritual realities that you could not sense before, suddenly you are able to sense them. I am able to forgive all people, and I no longer look down upon anyone. That's the glory of my faith in Jesus Christ. Things that I used to hear about the faith are powerful realities now. Common phrases that I never understood before. It's like opening a door to the greatest world which is already in your midst. But you just couldn't see it before.

I actually respect atheists and any other position because they are basing that on what they have seen.
Whether you forgive everyone (or not) - or whether you pray (or not), it can’t be argued it is your choice and has nothing to do with a god. The same holds true in going round in circles - your choice, rather than living in the ‘greatest world’, as you say.

Old 05-26-2019, 10:21 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,639,632 times
Quote:
"To clasp the hands in prayer is the beginning of an uprising against the disorder of the world."
- Karl Barth
I don't know who Karl Barth is, but how do you conclude that he knows what he is talking about? How do YOU decide if Person A is someone who's pronouncements should be accepted as Truth or someone who's pronouncements should not be accepted as Truth?

Old 05-26-2019, 10:29 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
Quote:

You are doing yourself no good here. Raff's question was perfectly clear and logical. I explained exactly how it works and you still act like nobody is being clear. You are clearly being evasive.

I won't even go into who is being humble and whom is being arrogant. At bottom, that's less important than who is asking a valid question and who is evading it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
I don't know who Karl Barth is, but how do you conclude that he knows what he is talking about? How do YOU decide if Person A is someone who's pronouncements should be accepted as Truth or someone who's pronouncements should not be accepted as Truth?
German pre -and post -war theologian. He needn't concern us, nor his views. He was locked into Christian faith and only ever thought 'within the box', no matter how admirable those thoughts might have been within those limits.

Old 05-26-2019, 12:54 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,924,631 times
Quote:

Humbling yourself. Spiritual realities that you could not sense before, suddenly you are able to sense them. I am able to forgive all people, and I no longer look down upon anyone. That's the glory of my faith in Jesus Christ. Things that I used to hear about the faith are powerful realities now. Common phrases that I never understood before. It's like opening a door to the greatest world which is already in your midst. But you just couldn't see it before.

Quite simply, one doesn't need Jesus Christ to learn how to forgive. Forgiveness comes from one's own heart, not from somebody else's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality