Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2019, 04:45 PM

25,447 posts, read 9,809,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Takes a special kind of hatred to post this crap every single day.
I don't see it as hatred at all. These are real experiences by real people. They are stating what has happened and what they have witnessed. How is that hatred?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2019, 04:55 PM

20,007 posts, read 13,486,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
I don't see it as hatred at all. These are real experiences by real people. They are stating what has happened and what they have witnessed. How is that hatred?
Folks like him have no idea what real hatred or persecution is. They claim both all the live-long day, generally in response to nothing more than people disagreeing with them or relaying experiences or facts that they find uncomfortable. They seem to view such things as an existential threat and some kind of moral wrong against them or their deity.

By the logic of his post, I could say he's displaying hatred against unbelievers.

Old 03-26-2019, 04:58 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,584,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
God created the doctors who cured you? And the polluters who gave you lung cancer (as just one example).

He owes us nothing? I thought he owed us "all-encompassing love".
do you love the children? utterly and completely?

they have some of its traits wrong. as the traits assigned to god align with what we know we will have a better understanding of why people die.

Old 03-26-2019, 05:00 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,761,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
I did a long time ago. I made an exception this time, but of course, another waste of my time. It's like conversing with a brick wall.
Jeff, you sound like a fundie Musim who uses the same arguments to support the existence of Allah.

Old 03-26-2019, 05:07 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,584,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Folks like him have no idea what real hatred or persecution is. They claim both all the live-long day, generally in response to nothing more than people disagreeing with them or relaying experiences or facts that they find uncomfortable. They seem to view such things as an existential threat and some kind of moral wrong against them or their deity.

By the logic of his post, I could say he's displaying hatred against unbelievers.
kind of like how you see any science that gives theist something to use and make atheism harder to sell, you know, because you have a right to believe what you want and just change the science that doesn't work for your beliefs? religion?

although you do have some real nice belief based self help stuff. like joel olsteen stuff.

give us some of that.

Old 03-26-2019, 05:10 PM

7,595 posts, read 6,089,079 times
Hey Thrill....a big AMENto you

I was deathly sick.....the surgeon told me, after the fact, that he did not know how I walked in to the hospital.....I was that bad off.

Thanksvto his knowledge, training, and my cahones to fire my pri ary doctor for sendingbthe wrong surgeon to my room.......I am here today.

My church at the time ? Worthless, useless. Not so much as even a phone call. Though I did get an Email from the priest, a few weeks later, saying "read page such and such of the book of common prayer"

Prayer ? Useless and worthless.
Education and science ? I thank Dr ____ to this day for his training and insight which saved my life.

So pray all you want. I will take a good Doctor any day.

Old 03-26-2019, 05:49 PM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
Hey Thrill....a big AMENto you

I was deathly sick.....the surgeon told me, after the fact, that he did not know how I walked in to the hospital.....I was that bad off.

Thanksvto his knowledge, training, and my cahones to fire my pri ary doctor for sendingbthe wrong surgeon to my room.......I am here today.

My church at the time ? Worthless, useless. Not so much as even a phone call. Though I did get an Email from the priest, a few weeks later, saying "read page such and such of the book of common prayer"

Prayer ? Useless and worthless.
Education and science ? I thank Dr ____ to this day for his training and insight which saved my life.

So pray all you want. I will take a good Doctor any day.
Damn, that's COLD.

Glad you're still with us.

Old 03-26-2019, 07:10 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Truth will indeed out. I was mainly focused not on Wommack but on jeffbase's questionable authority to back his claims God answers prayers. But that's jeffbase for ya.
I concur that he did wag around the claims of answers prayers/healings - or at least, the promise that they would would be delivered if the donations (so the proximity -linkage between the two drops the Big Hint) are submitted up -front.

Probably the fishiest part of the advertising spiel the site puts out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
That works for you. Not for some of us.
One might think that Our Ken was being ironic, but he probably wasn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
Sorry. God isn’t a genie in a bottle. Many of us have prayed for loved ones or to make things better and nothing comes of it. Why should it? God owes us nothing. And as someone said earlier, God did create the doctors who cured you. Just be thankful you made it through. You have no idea what really cured you. And stop thinking of God as your personal genie. I’m pretty certain you have done things in your life that God wouldn’t be thrilled with so he isn’t going to come gunning to your beck and call.
That's a neat bundle of excuses for when God doesn't answer a prayer for something not at all unreasonable in Faith (as per Matthew, at least) when the Bible promises that it will be answered, as well as giving undeserved credit to the religion when the doctors cure people of maladies that the god apparently used to let them die of in the days before science.

Who deserves the trust and praise? the ones who deliver the cures on a regular basis or the one who doesn't?

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 03-26-2019 at 07:23 PM..

Old 03-26-2019, 07:18 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,924,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I concur that he did wag around the claims of answers prayers/healings - or at least, the promise that they would would be delivered if the donations (so the proximity -linkage between the two drops the Big Hint) are submitted up -front.

Probably the fishiest part of the advertising spiel the site puts out.

Yes, and why would jeffbase cite an authority as ridiculous as an "on-fire-for-the-Lord" minister to try to convince skeptics prayer works, against such lofty standards as Pew, Barna, Scientific American, and Journal of the American Medical Association that say prayer doesn't work???? Jeff just doesn't display a lick of common sense trying to put that one over on us. But then, when did anything jeffbase says display a lick of common sense??? I dunno. Beats me.

Last edited by thrillobyte; 03-26-2019 at 07:34 PM..

Old 03-26-2019, 07:28 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Yes, and why would jeffbase cite an authority as ridiculous as an "on-fire-for-the-Lord" minister to try to convince skeptics prayer works, against such lofty standards as Pew, Barna, Scientific American, and Journal of the American Medical Association that say prayer doesn't work???? Jeff just doesn't display a lick of common sense trying to put that one over on us. But then, when did anything jeffbase says display a lick of commonsense??? I dunno. Beats me.
I don't want beat Jeff down too much. He is doing what any Religious apologist does - grab anything that looks like evidence without thinking about it too much. Too much Thinking about it is Not Good for Faith.

Remember the Blackened corpse that came to life. touted as a miracle, back in the day? Wasn't so long dead when the story was checked out. There rarely is any checking done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality