Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2019, 09:39 AM

1,305 posts, read 856,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
As Thrill said, I would be asking why he showers you in megabucks whilst ignoring the prayers of those praying for African children not to starve to death. Your story is no different to the stories about 'Jesus found my keys for me.' I've had similar experiences with my lucky elephant.
You have a lucky elephant? Cool!

Well, I knew you all would tear my story to bits, since that's what you all do with anything that doesn't fit your paradigm. I only shared as I was asked to. I stated already that I can't explain why this happened, only shared what happened. I don't understand how this sort of thing happens any more than you do, but i do believe it happens. And I have never asked Jesus to find my car keys! You are just being facetious! This is exactly why I won't share my other story...it is very personal and I am not willing to have you rip my heart out for your online amusement. I respect your right not to believe as I do....I am beginning to feel though, that you are a cold-hearted bunch. A little kindness goes a long way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2019, 09:43 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,924,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I'd love to see a sample of that. I bet you were good at it.

Well, not good. Here's one that's not as good as I used to get. But it shows how I believed all that guff at one time.

//www.city-data.com/forum/chris...e-another.html
By the way, I meant to compliment you on your elegant explanation in #623 but got distracted with Mystic and a few others. Tried to rep you too but the system won't allow. Well said.

Old 04-10-2019, 10:11 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,924,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn hunter View Post

Well, I knew you all would tear my story to bits, since that's what you all do with anything that doesn't fit your paradigm. I only shared as I was asked to. I stated already that I can't explain why this happened, only shared what happened. I don't understand how this sort of thing happens any more than you do, but i do believe it happens. And I have never asked Jesus to find my car keys! You are just being facetious! This is exactly why I won't share my other story...it is very personal and I am not willing to have you rip my heart out for your online amusement. I respect your right not to believe as I do....I am beginning to feel though, that you are a cold-hearted bunch. A little kindness goes a long way.

Unicorn, you do know that Christians come in here all the time with these wildly fantastical stories of how Jesus moved so mightily in their lives--performed all these miraculous healings and miracle money gifts through the mail from strangers when they were at their most desperate. Jeffbase just had some crazy healings on this Christian scammer's blog who posted a plea for $$$$'s so he can go on presenting fabulous stories of God's great mercy, and Nothing4God or whatever his name is comes in with the corker--that he actually saw a man's shortened leg stretch to normal length right before his eyes!

All this is just propaganda, of course--not a nickel's worth of evidence to back it up. Which is interesting because Jesus appeared to me the other night and performed a fantastic miracle for me, but I told him I wasn't going to stop posting on CD and he said, "Okay" and disappeared. It's a true story! What you don't believe me??? No, Jesus didn't leave behind any evidence, unfortunately but it's true as the sun rises tomorrow.

Old 04-10-2019, 10:26 AM

8,669 posts, read 3,871,862 times
Quote:

Hmmm unicorn hunters.

Last edited by CorporateCowboy; 04-10-2019 at 10:50 AM..

Old 04-10-2019, 10:38 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Well, not good. Here's one that's not as good as I used to get. But it shows how I believed all that guff at one time.

//www.city-data.com/forum/chris...e-another.html
By the way, I meant to compliment you on your elegant explanation in #623 but got distracted with Mystic and a few others. Tried to rep you too but the system won't allow. Well said.
That was an interesting link, Thrillo, and shows that you were asking the questions, even if you were finding too -easy -answers at the time.

And an 'elegant' from you is worth a dozen reps

Old 04-10-2019, 10:43 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,639,632 times
Quote:

"Doesn't fit your paradigm". Hmm. Do you acknowledge that there are innocent children dying from hunger? Children being used as prostitutes? I think it is likely that at least some of these children cry out to God for help. (Would you agree that is likely, or do you disagree?) No help arrives. How do these facts fit your paradigm?

Old 04-10-2019, 11:03 AM

8,669 posts, read 3,871,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Correct, but among the Christians, there are those who are wedded to the Bible instead of Jesus and they assume rejecting any of their "precepts and doctrines" about God is heresy.
You often have my respect in how you (attempt to) prove your point, but this sentence is just odd.

Old 04-10-2019, 11:07 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,861,012 times
Quote:
No. It was 'tongue in cheek', the point being that what you attribute to your god, someone else will attribute to a lucky elephant - or Ganesh.

Old 04-10-2019, 11:09 AM

4,466 posts, read 1,606,599 times
Quote:

Unicorn, I have no doubt that you are a good person, and I certainly respect your right to believe as you do. This is not an attempt to "tear your story to bits", but an attempt to share my side.

That being said, surely you see where we are coming from, right? You have a few lucky breaks after praying, and suddenly it is God giving you these things. So, why does he not help those who are TRULY in need? I am not talking about those who need some money to pay bills. I am talking about those who have no food to feed their kids, no insurance to help them get a needed surgery, kids in abusive situations, those with mental issues, and people with other serious health issues. What about those starving people who pray to him on a daily basis to just let them get some rice to fill their stomach for the day? He will help you get some money to pay some bills after jokingly asking for it, but leave those people to fend for themselves?

Surely you can see how this seems to those of us who do not believe as you do? Because it seems like random chance and coincidence. Either that, or God has a funny way of picking who to help. Oh sure, you can say, "He works in mysterious ways!" if you want, but that leaves you with the same issue. He would rather help someone in a first world country pay some bills because they were over extended, than help someone truly in need. It just doesn't make sense.

Old 04-10-2019, 11:21 AM

17,800 posts, read 13,698,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
"Doesn't fit your paradigm". Hmm. Do you acknowledge that there are innocent children dying from hunger? Children being used as prostitutes? I think it is likely that at least some of these children cry out to God for help. (Would you agree that is likely, or do you disagree?) No help arrives. How do these facts fit your paradigm?
I have story even better than Unicorn.

When I was a believing freshman in college I took every penny out of my savings account and gave it to the church ($600 something dollars in 1976.) Several months later our college track coach got a donation from a rich guy that gave everybody on our team about a quarter scholarship to add to what we were already getting. I was convinced that the reason this happened was the fact that I gave all my money to the church. Not only was I "blessed" but all my teammates were as well.

But even then I was a bit troubled. There was a girl in our church who was a paraplegic. Her parents would take her all over the place to healing things and we would sometimes pray for healing at our church.

I thought it was great that God helped our track team, but I really wished he had used my money to help that girl walk again.

In the end it helped me understand the difference between coincidence and something truly miraculous.

Incidentally, I gave the money in cash to the church secretary. I don't know exactly what she did with it. I never got a receipt or acknowledgement from anybody in the church.

So maybe she has a story about how God found her some money in a miraculous manner during a time of need.

Or if she has fallen away from God........... she has a story about how some dumb kid walked into her office and gave her all his money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality