Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2019, 01:43 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,608,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Since it is on topic and not quite a science discussion, Carbon is a very abundant element in the cosmos, and is not only stable, but can (I heard) be adapted into many molectular structures - very adaptable. It would be first choice for if one wanted to make life. Or to put it another way, Life was an accident just waiting to happen. In fact what makes me gasp is not how improbable it was that life got started, but how the hell it managed to survive, given all the extinctions, many of which (I would risk a big bet) were the results of meteor-small asteroid impacts resulting in several megatons explosions, followed by enough airborne dust to initiate a life - clobbering Ice age, plus a pretty complete loss of vegetation - no leaves, no Vegan animals, and then no meat eaters. Including Clovis -man.

Luckily animals and man up in the arctic climes anyway were used to survining weather like that and kept the zoo going.
yeah, based on carbon interactions in the biosphere, the system surrendering us is better described as "life" as apposed to non-life. Using the word "natural" is as meaningless as using the word "everything".

so does the anti-religious/god sect have a better description of why people feel connected to the system around them? That these people are feeling connected to a larger more complex system than themselves?

The answer is no. There is no honest way that we can deny we are surrounded by a system of life just because some atheist feel religion is so dangerous, they feel the need to force us to minimize the physics/chemistry/bio just because theist can use it and make atheism harder to sell.

The militant sect of atheism is as dangerous, based partly on trans post here, as any fundy theist sect of religion is.

Old 04-27-2019, 02:07 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,200,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
so does the anti-religious/god sect have a better description of why people feel connected to the system around them?
To which system are you referring? Because there are thousands of systems and not everyone is connected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
That these people are feeling connected to a larger more complex system than themselves?
I hope you're not referring to religion, where children are brain-washed, inculcated and indoctrinated from an early age, and under duress and coercion.

If it would be up to me, religion would be restricted just like alcohol that it is: "You must 21 years of age to consume."

Not having been brain-washed, inculcated and indoctrinated from birth under duress and coercion, I dare say few people would attend of their own free will.

Old 04-27-2019, 03:32 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,200,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Apparently, Mircea has access to science not available to the rest of us.
Like you should be talking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
The idea is (or was) that the universe (though entropy) will eventually Run Down; out of puff, and would become a stagnant expanse of inert matter. Even if the particles in it still existed.
Well, we have to make assumptions. That's how science works. You make an assumption, formulate an hypothesis, devise experiments to prove the hypothesis, and hopefully the experiment works, and if it doesn't, then you try new experiments until there it's proven or there's no more experiments to be conducted.

The Universe may be Infinite, or it may be Infinite in the sense that it expands, collapses, there's a Big Bang, expansion, collapse, a Big Bang and so on for Eternity.

But, none of that matters and it doesn't require a god, and even if there were a god, it would be relevant, because in god's eyes, you have no value, so it's not like this god cares about humans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
Trust me he's no scientist...all you have to do is look at the things he posts about Climate Change. Yes he's a denier.
I don't deny climate change. The climate is changing, because we're in an Inter-Glacial Period and the climate is supposed to change, but CO2 has nothing to do with it.

You repeatedly deny and ignore the science that says in every Inter-Glacial Period, the sea level rises 3 meters to 13 meters, even when CO2 levels are in the range 260 ppm to 280 ppm CO2.

So, no matter what you do, the sea level is going to rise another 3 meters to 13 meters and there ain't a damn thing you or anyone else on this Earth can do to stop it.

Even if you manage to reduce CO2 levels from 400+ppm CO2 back to 280 ppm CO2, you cannot guarantee with any certainty that sea levels won't rise, because in the Inter-Glacial Periods of the past the sea level still rose 3 meters to 13 meters even CO2 levels were 280 ppm CO2 or less.

And, in spite of CO2 levels being 400+ ppm CO2, the global temperature has managed to drop 1.0°F in the last two years, almost wiping out the measly 1.4°F increase over the last 140 years.

You cannot deny that, because NASA says so.

See if you can wrap your brain around that.

Quote:
So my questions to Mirca and you are:

1. Does Carbon-12 decay? If you answered yes,
2.What is the half-life of Carbon-12?
Yes, it decays and the half-life is greater than 1.0 * 10^24 years.

Quote:
Well I guess you're going to have to tell this Theoretical Physicist that he's wrong and in the process have all college and physics books rewritten.
Apparently he's not up-to-date on research at the Super-Kamiokande lab.

All materials in this space are made of atoms, which consist of nucleus and electrons. Furthermore, nucleus is a composite of protons and neutrons. Neutron is slightly heavier than proton and neutron can decay into proton, electron, and neutrino (beta decay), but it has been thought that proton is eternally stable because it is the lights it really true? Grand Unified Theory, which unifies strong, weak, and electromagnetic interactions, predicts proton will decay into lighter particle like mesons and leptons. The dominant decay mode is that proton decays into a neutral pion and electron. The neutral pion immediately decays into two gamma rays, thus we can observe three electron-like rings in Super-Kamiokande (Fig.1). If protons decay, all materials in the world will be broken in future. But, don't worry! The predicted proton lifetime is much longer than age of the universe.

Proton Decay | Super-Kamiokande Official Website

Whether protons decay or not is irrelevant if neutron and electrons decay, and they do.

You do know that free protons and free neutrons decay, right?

I mean, that's the whole point of the "neutron bomb."

Old 04-27-2019, 05:19 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,273,604 times
Your climate cherry picking has already been debunked by me and other formally trained scientists.

Take it up in the Science Forum.

Show me your source for Carbon 12 half life.

I've dealt with you long enough to know you really don't know what you're talking about when it comes to science in addition to cherry picking as you are now trying to do with Carbon 12.

Old 04-27-2019, 05:26 PM

16,714 posts, read 15,720,104 times
Quote:
Your climate cherry picking has already been debunked by me and other formally trained scientists.

Take it up in the Science Forum.

Show me your source for Carbon 12 half life.

I've dealt with you long enough to know you really don't know what you're talking about when it comes to science in addition to cherry picking as you are now trying to do with Carbon 12.
I can't think of a single way to relate the half life of Carbon-12 to Religion or Spirituality.

The correct thing to say is: Take it up in the Science Forum.

Old 04-27-2019, 05:35 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,273,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
I can't think of a single way to relate the half life of Carbon-12 to Religion or Spirituality.

The correct thing to say is: Take it up in the Science Forum.
How carbon based life came to exist on earth vs. poof god did it is one way it relates to religion.

I am not trying to teach science lessons in the Religious thread however religion makes a lot of false statements with respect to science and I'm simply pointing out why these claims are not accurate.

It's a fine line to walk in this thread and I've tried to stay in bounds.

Last edited by Matadora; 04-27-2019 at 05:46 PM..

Old 04-27-2019, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
To which system are you referring? Because there are thousands of systems and not everyone is connected.

I hope you're not referring to religion, where children are brain-washed, inculcated and indoctrinated from an early age, and under duress and coercion.

If it would be up to me, religion would be restricted just like alcohol that it is: "You must 21 years of age to consume."

Not having been brain-washed, inculcated and indoctrinated from birth under duress and coercion, I dare say few people would attend of their own free will.
I would say every system is connected. its called space/time these days.

although I would be happy to listen to what system you think is independent of the system around us.

Old 04-28-2019, 06:25 AM

611 posts, read 281,849 times
-

“Jerusalem is ruined, Judah is fallen: because their tongue and their doings are against God, to provoke the eyes of his glory. The show of their own countenance is a witness against themselves; and they reveal their own mistakes as Sodom, unable to conceal it. Woe unto them that have rewarded evil unto themselves.

And tell them that practice righteousness; that it shall be well for them: for they shall eat the fruit of their doings.

Woe unto the wicked! It shall be ill with him: for the reward of his hands shall be given him.”

-

Seriously now…where did that come from…anything whereabouts…what are we looking at here? It is the word of God.

And this is the only God I know; and the only real imaginary adversary is Man: Men as gods.

Dream City, heaven or hell………………………………………………………………and Earth.

…maybe think about it.

-

Old 04-28-2019, 06:41 AM

thinking ...

conclusion ... no biblegod

cross check

thinking ...

no bible god

continue ...

Old 04-28-2019, 06:57 AM

611 posts, read 281,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15
Has god and nothing existed at the same time at some point in history?
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
you never answered
Why would you ask me that question? ask quantum mechanics man...

Has one particle of the universe and nothing ever existed at the same time? What are you calling nothing? A vacuum...that's not nothing...a hole in the ground...that's not nothing...empty space...that's not nothing.

I don't have any idea what you think is nothing..."Nothing," what is it and where is it?

-

Last edited by mensaguy; 04-28-2019 at 08:32 AM.. Reason: fixed quote tag
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality