Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2019, 07:00 PM

63,840 posts, read 40,128,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
I think discussing how the Universe came into existence is very important in religious threads as the evidence we have completely contradicts many holy texts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
I agree 100%. But I am not a mod.
As long as you DO refer to God and the beliefs you are contradicting and liberally use citations to science sources as links as Matadora does (instead of long discussions here), we should remain within the rules. If our entire Reality is the result of a unified field (what the Grand Unified Theory (GUT) advocates seek), then it is not outrageous to suggest that it could be a consciousness field (which would make it a thinking God as usually conceived) and our physical 4% could be a manifestation of God's imagination within His consciousness. This is not that dissimilar to those theories that suggest our Reality is more like a Great Thought than a physical manifestation (cue Quantum theories ).

Old 04-30-2019, 11:36 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,266,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
As long as you DO refer to God and the beliefs you are contradicting and liberally use citations to science sources as links as Matadora does (instead of long discussions here), we should remain within the rules. If our entire Reality is the result of a unified field (what the Grand Unified Theory (GUT) advocates seek), then it is not outrageous to suggest that it could be a consciousness field (which would make it a thinking God as usually conceived) and our physical 4% could be a manifestation of God's imagination within His consciousness. This is not that dissimilar to those theories that suggest our Reality is more like a Great Thought than a physical manifestation (cue Quantum theories ).
Hey there Mystic,

I am not sure by what you mean "if" our entire Reality is the result of a unified field?

Why do you place human features on your god?

I often wonder about the Universe I exist in. For some odd reason when I am zooming down the freeway or across a long 13 mile bridge that connects the Peninsula to the East Bay here in Northern CA I am always picturing myself on a planet within a galaxy that has a typical barred spiral that's about 100,000 light-years across. I then think about how the solar system travels at an average speed of 515,000 mph.

I think how strange it is that I'm on my motorcycle traveling at super sport high speeds (when I can get away with it ) and yet here I am on this tiny planet that's traveling a gazillion times faster than I am on my motorcycle at super sport speeds. I think how strange it is and why such an arrangement in outer space? Then I come back down to earth and avoid being side swiped or nipped by the "cagers" all around me.

The cager term was coined by motorcyclists to mean a 4 wheeled vehicle with it's driver confined in a cage.

Old 05-01-2019, 12:20 AM

63,840 posts, read 40,128,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
Hey there Mystic,
I am not sure by what you mean "if" our entire Reality is the result of a unified field?
Why do you place human features on your god?
Hi Matadora. The ONLY human feature I place on God is consciousness which is what I believe Jesus and the ancients were referring to when they referred to God as Spirit despite most of Christ's followers being deathly afraid of Spirits.

Old 05-01-2019, 01:23 AM

611 posts, read 281,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
Show me that something exists outside of the universe from which matter/energy might pass into or out of the universe from. I am not denying the possibility, only requesting the proof. Such proof would be worthy of a Nobel.
Well, maybe I demand that you show me proof that it is not possible anything exists outside the universe; what is it expanding into?

Old 05-01-2019, 01:45 AM

“The Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters,” is the origin of consciousness?

...in the beginning, consciousness began with the waters...

You tell me how the origin of your consciousness came about, or why dispute?

Old 05-01-2019, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
So far as we know, nobody. Failure to respect a confession of 'we don't know' and instead use it as a gap for God does not alter the fact that there is no good reason to suppose that an intelligent being needed to start all this.

First cause has always been the very best Gap for God, after Abiogenesis and Consciousness.

But Abiogenesis is almost closed, Consciousness is closing and the hinges are beginning to creak for First cause, too.

It's the same as the god -claim, ToN. There is no proof either way. Just as nobody really knows whether there is a god or not, nobody knows whether the Universe (indeed the Cosmos) is part of a greater whole.

But, just as the indirect evidence has changed from a clockwork universe looking like it was designed to a rather crazy universe that doesn't, a neat Universe floating in a vacuum has begun to look like there may be a lot of other universes connected by spooky communication and/or different dimensions.

Only indirect evidence, but can't rule it out.

Of course I'm just your average clod in the street, so Matadora will correct me if I got my science wrong.
I always respect: "We don't know." We don't know, but we can formulate ideas. It exists and something caused it, and is causing it to still exist. If you say, the Universe is causing it...more acceptable; but Nothing? this idea of any energy coming from nothing, just because we don't know is nonsense.

Old 05-01-2019, 03:51 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,214,723 times
Quote:
Hi Matadora. The ONLY human feature I place on God is consciousness .
Uh uh. You also claim god is 'loving'

Old 05-01-2019, 06:11 AM

...not too sorry to but right in...>>>>>>>

-

Water is the source of life.
Water is the source of consciousness.

Any known source of life, as we would recognize it, without any water in any of its forms, known to exist? Life without water…I can’t even imagine it.

-

...not too sorry to but right out...>>>>>>>

Old 05-01-2019, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Uh uh. You also claim god is 'loving'
Probably mostly *other peoples gods* are not very loving.

Yet Jesus is the nature of his choice, if push comes to shove and he has to have an example...I think I claim I heard Mystic say that a few times...mostly I think he claims that Evil Killer God doesn't exist. And fools go around accusing God of causing whatever they choose to do with their own hands.

Last edited by auralmack; 05-01-2019 at 06:30 AM..

Old 05-01-2019, 07:28 AM

1,402 posts, read 478,290 times
Default Calling all Mystics

Quote:
Mystic, I have asked this twice before, to no avail (apologies if I missed a reply). This will be my third strike, after which I won't bother you further, but I really am interested...

You consistently refer to and capitalize "our Reality," in ways that suggest a meaning that is not obvious to or shared by all. If you please, what exactly do you mean by "Reality," as used above and elsewhere?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality