Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2019, 09:03 AM

7,592 posts, read 4,163,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
yuppers.

if prayer helps people stay focused om the solution ... I am for it. Heck, I'll even do it.

I am with you. there is absolutely no rational reason to attack everything religion says because religion did a person wrong. There is no rational reason to deny everything religion said just because some people are anti-religious/god.

each claim need to be evaluated on the claim. Fundy theist run it through their statement of belief about god and anti-religious/god run it through their personal statement of belief about god.

and the rest of us pay the price.
Thanks, Arach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I always laugh at Thais who (in Thailand) I see worshiping a statue of Ganesh (or some other Hindu god), even though they are Buddhist. And when I have asked a few about it, they tend to giggle and say something like, "Well, you never know. We could be wrong. Best to not take chances and honor everyone's gods".
I believe Jehovah Witness followers came knocking on my door this morning. I am pretty sure it was them and they do it at least once a month. I figured, if I am wrong and there is a god, hopefully he adds up all the time I spent listening to his followers and gives me that same amount of time to make my case for entering heaven. Even if god decides to take an average of my time spent listening, I can still make my case.

Of course, I am just kidding. I hate being cold to people so I listen for a bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2019, 09:05 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
Thanks, Arach.

I believe Jehovah Witness followers came knocking on my door this morning. I am pretty sure it was them and they do it at least once a month. I figured, if I am wrong and there is a god, hopefully he adds up all the time I spent listening to his followers and gives me that same amount of time to make my case for entering heaven. Even if god decides to take an average of my time spent listening, I can still make my case.

Of course, I am just kidding. I hate being cold to people so I listen for a bit.
I'm friendly to them. I take their booklet and tell them I will look at it. I usually do, too, but that's because I am interested in knowing about other spiritual beliefs overall. I don't let them in the door, though.

Old 05-04-2019, 09:11 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,012,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I'm friendly to them. I take their booklet and tell them I will look at it. I usually do, too, but that's because I am interested in knowing about other spiritual beliefs overall. I don't let them in the door, though.
I too love learning about various beliefs but I feel ashamed when they want me to commit. I've actually stopped talking to one person because someone I didn't realize she was expecting a commitment.

Old 05-04-2019, 09:21 AM

7,592 posts, read 4,163,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yes. I do accept their booklets but those only make an appearance at grocery stores around here.

Old 05-04-2019, 09:34 AM

8,667 posts, read 3,871,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
God accounts for the one and only Reality we have. What people BELIEVE about God does not affect that.
You are stating, ‘everyone’s beliefs/disbeliefs are wrong except mine’. Believing something which is not proveable is one thing; believing it to the point of being closed-minded and stating ‘everyone else is wrong’ is another.

Old 05-04-2019, 04:40 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,584,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
You are stating, ‘everyone’s beliefs/disbeliefs are wrong except mine’. Believing something which is not proveable is one thing; believing it to the point of being closed-minded and stating ‘everyone else is wrong’ is another.
what he is saying is that reality is what reality is. its not affected by what we believe, it it was it is, so to speak. I can believe in unicorns and you can believe I am wrong. The earth will still go around around the sun. Our beliefs do not change how the universe works, kind of thing.

I can't speak for him, but he has said to me he doesn't know if he is correct.

Old 05-04-2019, 05:14 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,639,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
I too love learning about various beliefs but I feel ashamed when they want me to commit. I've actually stopped talking to one person because someone I didn't realize she was expecting a commitment.
You have no reason to feel ashamed. If you don't want to commit, then you don't want to.

Old 05-06-2019, 11:38 AM

4,466 posts, read 1,606,599 times
Quote:
what he is saying is that reality is what reality is. its not affected by what we believe, it it was it is, so to speak. I can believe in unicorns and you can believe I am wrong. The earth will still go around around the sun. Our beliefs do not change how the universe works, kind of thing.

No, he is claiming reality IS GOD. That is hardly the same things as saying, "It is what it is". That is making a claim for which he has no proof or evidence, and then claiming it is 100% right because he says so.

Atheists are the ones who say, "Reality is what it is". Mystic says reality is God, and anyone who says otherwise is wrong.

Old 05-06-2019, 02:24 PM

8,667 posts, read 3,871,862 times
Quote:

You may believe in unicorns, of course - but you cannot say the ‘reality of unicorns’ will not change no matter what we disbelieve without converting your personal belief into a proven fact. So in this particular case, it is what it isn’t!

Old 05-06-2019, 04:32 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,584,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
You may believe in unicorns, of course - but you cannot say the ‘reality of unicorns’ will not change no matter what we disbelieve without converting your personal belief into a proven fact. So in this particular case, it is what it isn’t!
True. But the earth will go around the.sun no matter what you or I believe is the point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality