Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2019, 01:10 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,861,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
What computer? He sold all of his possessions and gave the money to the poor.
Allegedly!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2019, 02:15 PM

2,962 posts, read 864,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwasmadenew View Post
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
====================
sees everything

Old 08-14-2019, 03:22 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,170,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Except that wasn't necessary.

If you had ever read the bible at least once in your life, then you'd know everyone is cleansed of their sins, so there was no reason to die.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCyou View Post
so what are Jesus' commands?
Why does it matter? You ignore them.

Jesus commanded that we drink blood and eat flesh and hate our parents and be like a child and be like the wind and be born again and sell all that we have and give the money to the poor and give away whatever we couldn't sell to the poor.

He also commanded that unless you want to be the Hypocrite Supreme, you go into your room and close the door and recite the prayer he commanded.

What does that say about christians who spit in the face of Jesus and pray in public?

And, obviously, you haven't read the bible, because you dodged the issue that everyone at Yahweh's command was already saved of sins, so there was no reason for Jesus to die.

Quote:
sees everything
Including the fact that you have disrepected Jesus by not following his commands.

Old 08-14-2019, 03:43 PM

2,962 posts, read 864,530 times
Thanks very much for explaining, mountainrose. It sounds like you had a very transforming experience. You call it an awakening. Can you tell me anything more about what you experience itself was like?

Also, do you identify simply as a God-believer, but not with any one religion? Do you draw from the teachings of religions other than Christianity? It seems like your beliefs are unique to you. Is that right?

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
Good question Iwasmadenew — I guess my “religion” would be just that I believe in God and experience a personal relationship.
As I mentioned earlier, my first experience of God came through a “born again” Christian experience in college that profoundly changed my life.
LOL - and yes I was made new — from a very angry, judgmental, self centered , dishonest nineteen year old, to having my heart crack open and filled with what I am comfortable with calling Holy Spirit.
It was a very similar experience to what is called an “awakening” in non dual religions, but instead of the realization of unity oneness, lack of a personal self, it was an experience of GOD, and the awareness has always remained.

But I am not a traditional Christian in the sense that I don’t believe in many of the Christian doctrines — I see some of them more as symbolic teachings not actual facts that happened, yet I still feel a sacred alliance with the teachings of Jesus — whatever the whole phenomenon of Jesus actually was doesn’t give me doubt that there is the power to transform lives and if God used the teachings of Jesus to work in me so profoundly, I believe it can happen through other spiritual pathways also.

My husband has studied and trained in Buddhism and Advaita Vendata and we have a wonderful spiritual life together even though our pathways were so different. I experience a deep gratitude that God brought such a wonderful loving friend, companion, and spiritual partner in marriage for 38 years now.

I am 67 years old, so it’s been a long journey of deep inquiry, and the building of faith and TRUST.
Faith in what?
There is a confident loving TRUST in God that is not governed by feelings or intellect.
The Holy Spirit resonates for me at a level that transcends intellect or “religion.”

LOL — I am STILL totlally capable of angry, self-centered behavior now — but I can
“see it” and let it go.

Hope that answered your question Iwasmadenew.

Last edited by Iwasmadenew; 08-14-2019 at 04:21 PM..

Old 08-14-2019, 04:34 PM

12,040 posts, read 6,572,819 times
Quote:
Thanks very much for explaining, mountainrose. It sounds like you had a very transforming experience. You call it an awakening. Can you tell me anything more about what you experience itself was like?

Also, do you identify simply as a God-believer, but not with any one religion? Do you draw from the teachings of religions other than Christianity? It seems like your beliefs are unique to you. Is that right?

Thanks.
Tonight when I have more time, I’ll be happy to write you a private message as our discussion here seems to be triggering fear, discomfort, and antagonism in some.

Old 08-14-2019, 10:31 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,923,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
You said that you have a "gut feeling" that the Hebrew god of war, Yahweh exists. Don't you care whether or not that gut feeling is true?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
And the point is that YOU read into it acceptance of the most obnoxious elements of the various perceptions of the nature of "God" presented in the text considered foundational to the various religions and sects that claim it. You re not interested in the poster's actual perception of that nature, just in what you can use to browbeat her.
Quote:
No. I read into it that she believes in her god via a sort of 'gut' feeling. followed by a statement that she wasn't the least bit interested in being right.
"Hebrew god of war?"

Old 08-14-2019, 11:24 PM

Quote:

Thanks.
Our resident Christian therapist...who, by his own admission, hasn't even read the Bible.

Quote:
Tonight when I have more time, I’ll be happy to write you a private message as our discussion here seems to be triggering fear, discomfort, and antagonism in some.
You want advice from someone that hasn't even read the Bible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
"Hebrew god of war?"
Yes. That's what the god she believes exists is. Yahweh is, the Hebrew god of war. Ones ''perceptions'' that Yahweh is a really wonderful, loving father that sits in heaven on a fluffy cloud are irrelevant. That's the image that people want to give them a nice, warm feeling. The reality is that Yahweh is the god of war worshipped by the Hebrews.

Last edited by Rafius; 08-14-2019 at 11:33 PM..

Old 08-15-2019, 07:31 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,923,595 times
Quote:
Our resident Christian therapist...who, by his own admission, hasn't even read the Bible.

You want advice from someone that hasn't even read the Bible?

Yes. That's what the god she believes exists is. Yahweh is, the Hebrew god of war. Ones ''perceptions'' that Yahweh is a really wonderful, loving father that sits in heaven on a fluffy cloud are irrelevant. That's the image that people want to give them a nice, warm feeling. The reality is that Yahweh is the god of war worshipped by the Hebrews.
As I said, YOU read into. It what you want to use to browbeat the poster You are transparent and a fraud.

Old 08-15-2019, 07:46 AM

12,040 posts, read 6,572,819 times
Quote:
You said that you have a "gut feeling" that the Hebrew god of war, Yahweh exists. Don't you care whether or not that gut feeling is true?
No, I said the “knowingness” was perhaps similar to but not the same as a gut feeling.
It is a sensing and perceiving that transcends the contracted limitations of the conditioned thinking patterns of the mind.

Have you ever had an expansive even shocking experience where the mind becomes totally still/quiet and yet there is a recognition that it’s beyond normal understanding (not including alcohol or recreational drugs—lol). Of course the mind eventually jumps in trying to”understand” it with words/ideas —but the experience itself resonated on a whole different level.

And yes of course I care if what I experience is really God — I KNOW it to be true on a level that transcends the mind, any belief systems, any hunches, any desires....and that’s the best I can desribe it to you.

It can be experienced by others and labeled something else, but I am comfortable using the word God to label it, but I also know for people like you that word carries a lot of baggage. It conjures up an Old Testament god with a physicality and a gender. Not my experience of what I call God. Although the portal or door of perception did originally come through Christianity, so I just have to surrender to the mystery of it all....

You clearly have some deep conditioned anger around the corruptions of organized religion. It’s understandable. I’m sorry to say this, but it sounds more like you are invested in a sense of superiority than in real authentic discussion......

Last edited by mountainrose; 08-15-2019 at 08:22 AM..

Old 08-15-2019, 10:05 AM

Quote:
No, I said the “knowingness” was perhaps similar to but not the same as a gut feeling.
It is a sensing and perceiving that transcends the contracted limitations of the conditioned thinking patterns of the mind.
Call it what you like. The point of my post was that you said that you have no interest in whether you were right or not. It gives you a nice a fuzzy feeling and that's all that matters to you.

Quote:
Have you ever had an expansive even shocking experience where the mind becomes totally still/quiet and yet there is a recognition that it’s beyond normal understanding (not including alcohol or recreational drugs—lol). Of course the mind eventually jumps in trying to”understand” it with words/ideas —but the experience itself resonated on a whole different level.
No

Quote:
And yes of course I care if what I experience is really God — I KNOW it to be true on a level that transcends the mind, any belief systems, any hunches, any desires....and that’s the best I can desribe it to you.
Then it would be better not to put up posts saying that you have no interest in being right.

Quote:
It can be experienced by others and labeled something else, but I am comfortable using the word God to label it, but I also know for people like you that word carries a lot of baggage. It conjures up an Old Testament god with a physicality and a gender.
Yes. That is the image most people conjure up when someone is talking about ''God'', especially when it's written with a capital 'G'.

Quote:
You clearly have some deep conditioned anger around the corruptions of organized religion. It’s understandable. I’m sorry to say this, but it sounds more like you are invested in a sense of superiority than in real authentic discussion......
My anger is against wilful ignorance. That aside, to me, post 494 labels you as a Christian and the ''God'' you refer to is the Yahweh/Jesus of Christianity. You're a sort of MysticPhd Christian...

Quote:
.... I KNOW it to be true on a level that transcends the mind, any belief systems, any hunches, any desires....and that’s the best I can desribe it to you.
...and that's where the whole thing started. You KNOW it to be true and that is why I asked you what you would say to Hindu's who also say that they KNOW what they believe is true on a level that transcends the mind, any belief systems, any hunches, any desires. Your answer was, in effect... I don't care what others think because I have no interest in being right.

Last edited by Rafius; 08-15-2019 at 10:36 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality