Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2019, 03:27 PM

50,759 posts, read 24,261,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
You don't have to. An atheist lacks belief in a deity; it does not follow that an atheist must believe there is no deity. (Certainly there are atheists who do believe there is no deity, but that isn't what makes them atheists).

I'm an agnostic atheist because I don't know if there is a god, or gods, or not. Until there is proof one way or another, I decline to believe.
Pretty much the same here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2019, 03:29 PM

12,031 posts, read 6,561,999 times
Quote:
Thank you. This is interesting to me. And I would have LOVED to watch those chipmunks.

I feel connected to the Earth, nature, and my fellow man. But I don't call that connection "God".
I don’t call my connection to nature “God” either. But I AM deeply connected to the natural world and feel most at home there.
It took the chipmunks about five whole minutes to clean off all the seeds and tomato goo plastered to their face and bodies.......

Last edited by mountainrose; 08-16-2019 at 04:07 PM..

Old 08-16-2019, 03:32 PM

50,086 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
1) Well, if you don't give something a chance, then of course it "won't work" or "doesn't work". 2) Claiming oneself to be "divinely inspired" is never necessary. 3) If someone is carrying on with nonsense (that they claim is in the Bible, when it isn't) then of course it won't be right. 4) Ignoring the spiritual realm and saying it doesn't exist could be a lie as well, if it actually does exist. Oh well...
Right both times. Which is why we are 'agnostic' about 'spiritual realms', though agnosticism (not knowing) mandates non -belief (atheism) until you Do know) quite apart from the negative evidence which can't be entirely dismissed as 'argument from silence'.

The other thing you are right about which is what science does give us. And it is, it has to be said, 'evolution' (in the broadest sense - sometimes called "Evilooshun") undermines the bulk of Christian claims from the flood and Ark to the nativity, and from The prophecy of Daniel to the Passover Release custom. That's quite enough for Bible apologists to have to try to make work when it doesn't and I can't imagine the stress levels of someone trying to argue for instance for the resurrection against someone (I have to say with all humility, because most others seem to prefer to argue on the OT and talking donkeys) like me. The denial, the evasion, the excuses, the circular arguments (1) ...I can see why they get angry when under pressure- It's Personal for them. I can even see (because it's Personal for them) why they will leave their Religion pinned down under heavy fire and save their own skin by trying to Win by sauce and cheek (Apologetics of the 3rd kind). I won't mention any Names but one who after a prolonged defense (it's like the British Defence but with more bluster) is was just one line insults. It can't be good for the soul... I mean,....it would not be good for the soul if we had one..( I'm doomed, if the Atheist Orthodoxy Squad sees that)

(1) The Bible is true.
No -The resurrection is false
It must be true - the disciples would not die for a lie.
Who says they did?
It's in the Bible.

Old 08-16-2019, 03:41 PM

Quote:
You don't have to. An atheist lacks belief in a deity; it does not follow that an atheist must believe there is no deity. (Certainly there are atheists who do believe there is no deity, but that isn't what makes them atheists).

I'm an agnostic atheist because I don't know if there is a god, or gods, or not. Until there is proof one way or another, I decline to believe.
Thanks for sharing, and it sounds like you’ve made good peace with it.
But i’m just curious why you come to this forum.
Is there a curiosity about spiritual experiences that arises in you?
Or does it help to be connected and communicate with other agnostics?

I’m new to this forum, so I’m interested what brings people here.

Old 08-16-2019, 03:47 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,631,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
I don’t call my connection to nature “God” either. But I AM deeply connected to the natural world and feel most at home there. It took the chipmunks about five whole minutes to clean all the seeds and tomato goo plastered to their face and bodies.......
So they are two separate things then, is that correct? The "knowing" God and the connected feeling?

Old 08-16-2019, 03:52 PM

11,061 posts, read 7,135,481 times
Quote:
So they are two separate things then, is that correct? The "knowing" God and the connected feeling?
Not meaning to intrude on the conversation between you two, and it will be good to hear his/her response, but I'd like contribute to a view on this subject:

Some would say that one needs to sense the spiritual realm - and what could be called "God" - first, as a starting point. That's the beginning foundation and beginning connection. Then, as with other relationships, getting familiar with, and coming to "know" God (if you choose to call him that) would then follow. They would be more connected and related than separate.

One might also say that problematic people in the world tend to be those who skip the first step. They jump to religion, rules, and assumptions without any spiritual connection. They have no internal guidance or direction to correct or enlighten them, and with the void, just follow after other people. The end result is worse than the beginning point, and leads to more confusion and disinformation for others.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 08-16-2019 at 04:09 PM..

Old 08-16-2019, 03:52 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,631,684 times
Quote:
Thanks for sharing, and it sounds like you’ve made good peace with it.
But i’m just curious why you come to this forum.
Is there a curiosity about spiritual experiences that arises in you?
Or does it help to be connected and communicate with other agnostics?

I’m new to this forum, so I’m interested what brings people here.
I tend to pop in when I notice thread titles which interest me.

No, I do not look for a sense of community here. I know many agnostic atheists IRL. But for me, my sense of community comes from my family and friends. Their beliefs are varied.

Old 08-16-2019, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Well perhaps I used the wrong word?? By “connected” to nature I mean I feel more at home, I’m more interested in, more responsive to, more happy and at peace in the natural world. The presence of God that I sense is everywhere, not just in nature. But living in the country, surrounded by the natural world, it is easier to quiet down, be still and more aware of the presence of God. It doesn’t change, but I do.

Old 08-16-2019, 04:24 PM

11,061 posts, read 7,135,481 times
Quote:
... living in the country, surrounded by the natural world, it is easier to quiet down, be still and more aware of the presence of God. It doesn’t change, but I do.
And that is more healthy - surrounded by nature and what could be considered God's creations - than being surrounded by man's creations: buildings, media, politics, so-called "news" outlets, etc. Some choose wisely, like yourself, and benefit greatly from it. Others, well, it's more a case of "garbage in, garbage out". It's choosing to drink out of a poisoned well than anything pure and beneficial.

Old 08-16-2019, 04:32 PM

1,378 posts, read 392,757 times
Last week God came & took my hand & led me to The Garden of Eden. Other times God sends huge angels & they pick me up & carry me to mansions in the sky. God shows me the future ten thousand times & it always comes true. Yet sometimes my head gets so full of worldly things that I completely forget that God is watching me & is Real. We all find ourselves alone with God when we die And that is just a short while ahead. Less than a blink of an eye for your eternal soul. Religious people never think alike. They each have a different interpretation of the scriptures. I say to them that I meet God face to face & they all say that no one can ever meet God.
Yet Jesus Says:
Quote:
21 He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.
God is 100% Real & you need to meet God because there is no one as wonderful as God. People of the world are just like empty headed specs of dust compared to God. The only person worth knowing in all of life is God. You can be certain of that. Everyone else is severely spiritually retarded or completely brain dead 'spiritually speaking'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality