Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2019, 05:00 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,601,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Rafius, what a ridiculous post. Just like the majority of the atheist posts here.
Kind of a ridiculous post saying someone’s post is ridiculous without explaining why.

Just one more reason to not trust xians
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2019, 06:55 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,850,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
He was doing very well until the 13th minute. We have NO evidence all the books of the NT existed by 100 AD, and enough doubt to put some, if not all, of the gospels in the second century AD. 2 Peter is certainly late, and John was still being added to around 200 AD. And there are many cases of the NT books being modified in that time, so our NT books are different to those of the second century AD.

And the first indication of a canon comes from Marcion, who had a different canon before 150 AD to ours. The first indication similar to our canon is about 150 AD, by Tatian. After a few decades, this was added to, probably in response to Marcion. It is probably around this date that the gospels were given their names. But it took another 200 years to finally decide which books were special enough, with several books being permanently removed in that period. Books like the Didache, the traditions of Matthias, the apocalypse of Peter, Hermas and the epistle of Barnabas.
Quote:
Rafius, what a ridiculous post. Just like the majority of the atheist posts here.
Don't just say that it's ludicrous. Explain why you think it is ludicrous.

...and while you're at it, explain why you dismiss leprechauns.

Old 08-02-2019, 07:11 AM

16,662 posts, read 15,654,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwasmadenew View Post
Seems like your earlier question was, indeed, rhetorical, after all. Why ask questions only so you can assert your answer?

You’ve got your mind made up, and yet you can’t stay away from topic of religion. That’s how I know you haven’t yet found truth. If you thought you’d found truth already, you would see your ‘participation’ on this forum as a waste of time.
For some of the non-believers, participating in these forum discussions is therapeutic for them. A substantial number of them had very emotional experiences as they lost their beliefs. In some cases, their families rejected them. There have been a number of threads about that in the Atheism and Agnosticism forum. Religion, although in a negative sense, is a large part of the emotional makeup of some of these people. Here's on such thread: //www.city-data.com/forum/athei...er-do-you.html

BTW, some of them are extremely well read when it come to the Bible.

Old 08-02-2019, 07:49 AM

16,758 posts, read 4,968,659 times
Quote:
And those are the reasons you don't believe? No, no one is buying that.
Good, because those are not the reason I do not believe. There are many, many reasons I do not believe in any gods. The history of the early Christian church is just a very small part of the reason I do not believe in your version of your god.

Old 08-02-2019, 09:24 AM

10,086 posts, read 5,729,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
Kind of a ridiculous post saying someone’s post is ridiculous without explaining why.

Just one more reason to not trust xians
Atheists including yourself do it all the time. Telling me how stupid I am without even giving any direct counter arguments.

Old 08-02-2019, 09:32 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Atheists including yourself do it all the time. Telling me how stupid I am without even giving any direct counter arguments.
You aren't stupid. You're emotionally immature. Your IQ exceeds your EQ by a large margin. It's unfortunate. But perhaps more time on the planet will help and the discrepancy will become less.

Old 08-02-2019, 01:00 PM

2,962 posts, read 862,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
That's of course perfectly understandable and is the reason why I say that the Only Real point of the debate is whether the gospel accounts- and specifically the resurrection accounts - are true, or rather whether the accounts can be believed. The rest is merely detail, but if the resurrection can be shown convincingly to be fabricated stories with valid reason to believe them, then Christianity collapses. Or at least the claim collapses for the person who has stopped thinking that the accounts are credible.

I'm not going to raise the debate here but that leaves us with 'If Muhammad really had God's word dictated to him in a cave, and given that the Gospels really don't convince as Eyewitness testimony, then Islam has more going for it as the true religion than Christianity has'.

And i can tell you Iwasmadenew' that Islam is quite a bit harder to debunk than Christianity. Essentially it comes down to just one scientifically demonstrated false claim and a simile that shows it was written by men, not a god.

Phet may mention Buddhism. So I will, too. I 'Searched' quite a bit and settled on Buddhism as the quickest way to the reality (Aka 'God'). I may not be a Buddhist believer now, but I still have a cultural attachment to it.
I had to look twice to verify who posted this comment. Conversational without insults and disrespect. Well done, sincerely!

That's a good point you made about Jesus' resurrection. If the resurrection was proved to not have happened, then Christianity would collapse. I agree. I happen to believe the resurrection did happen. It was an historic event that took place 2019 years ago.

This being the R&S forum, what are your reasons for holding a contrary opinion. Please cite some authoritative sources, if possible. Those are always more valuable than the opinions of unknown people on the internet.

I'm willing to compare both Islam and Buddhism to Christianity, if the answers to those questions would make any difference to you (i.e. that it wouldn't be waste of my time).

Also, if you want to tell me what your 'search' entailed, I'm interested.

Old 08-02-2019, 01:23 PM

50,762 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
I had to look twice to verify who posted this comment. Conversational without insults and disrespect. Well done, sincerely!

That's a good point you made about Jesus' resurrection. If the resurrection was proved to not have happened, then Christianity would collapse. I agree. I happen to believe the resurrection did happen. It was an historic event that took place 2019 years ago.

This being the R&S forum, what are your reasons for holding a contrary opinion. Please cite some authoritative sources, if possible. Those are always more valuable than the opinions of unknown people on the internet.

I'm willing to compare both Islam and Buddhism to Christianity, if the answers to those questions would make any difference to you (i.e. that it wouldn't be waste of my time).

Also, if you want to tell me what your 'search' entailed, I'm interested.
1. There's very little evidence of the resurrection, other than in the books of the bible. Virtually nothing independent of that.

2. Now wait a minute, you specifically said that you didn't look into Buddhism the other day (apparently not one of your big three, all of which are judeo-christian)...so how is it you're now going to discuss Buddhism now.

Old 08-02-2019, 01:24 PM

50,087 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Only administrators can DM me. But I will not be talking again about my software, that was just a simple view for anyone who wants to try and build one themselves. I will talk about my findings, as that is relevant to the OP.
Ah. I don't have a limit on my DM. So Thrillo can discuss Bruckner with me at leisure.

Old 08-02-2019, 01:40 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times
Quote:
You've got some catching up to do! Let's hear about your alleged search for truth and the key reasons why you believe God doesn't exist? [cue the crickets]
I've explained that in detail ad nauseum.

Quote:
The video offers explains why Christianity can be concluded to be the one true religion.
I don't have to watch the video to know it's cherry-picked verses wrapped in deceit and deception.

If christianity is the one true religion, then why was Terah worshiping El Shaddai?

Why did Jesus speak only Hebrew and not other languages? I speak more languages than Jesus did.

Shouldn't a god be able to speak every language?

The gospels can't even get the genealogies right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality