Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2019, 05:53 PM

2,962 posts, read 865,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
What is motivating you?
Read my “status” text.

Old 10-03-2019, 06:30 PM

15,864 posts, read 6,337,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwasmadenew View Post
Read my “status” text.
I don't see one.

Old 10-03-2019, 08:56 PM

11,033 posts, read 5,995,283 times
Quote:
Why are you so mad at God? What did God do to you for your bloomers to be in such a bunch?
That made me laugh. My ex used to ask me that. "Why do you hate God?" she would say.

Old 10-03-2019, 09:01 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,750,770 times
Quote:
Thank you for clarifying. I really wasn't trying to put words in your mouth, just trying to simplify the question enough to get a definite 'yes' or 'no' answer.
Sometimes complex questions can't be answered simply 'yes' or 'No'.

Quote:
Would you agree that Christianity is the most credible of the Three Abrahamic religions?
I said 'On the face of it'. It is presented in the form of a biography by eyewitnesses. It is on examination that it looks more a great deal of invention based (perhaps) on some historical record. But that is the same with the other two.

Quote:
Is that a faith statement?
No. It based on the universe that does not look as designed as would be expected if there was an intelligent designer, and that a complex being without origin of its' own looks less likely than some natural origin.

Quote:
If Christianity were demonstrated to be the most credible of all religions, would that be reason enough for you to "worth bothering about" it?
Yes. But I have 'bothered' about the religious claims in the past and Buddhism in fact looks (to me anyway) the most 'credible'.

Quote:
I've been upfront about being relatively new to Christianity and that I've yet to finish reading the whole Bible. Is reading the whole Bible a prerequisite for becoming a Christian? No. Some people only begin to read the Bible for the first time after having an encounter with God. Why go on about how much of the Bible I've read? Is your implication that if I had read more of the Bible I would be less likely to believe it?
No. My point is that just reading the Bible isn't what's the key, but understanding the fallacies and contradictions in it. When one understand that, the only alternatives (it seems to me) is to either conclude that it is the work of men - several men, who got things wrong and, in the case of the gospels refuted each other with serious contradictions, or to simply reject that evidence and opt for Faith.

Quote:
You asked me if I ever consider the possibility that I could be "labouring under a misconception." On rare occasions I will have a bit of doubt, but I don't think anyone's view of reality is absent some doubts, no matter what it is. If it's a fair question to ask if we are living in a simulation, then we have to abandon any expectation of certainty about reality. I am open to considering all sorts of potentialities, including many paranormal and supernatural phenomena. I always want to be learning and adding new pieces of the "big picture" puzzle that is reality.
Very good. Thanks for addressing that question. I consider that reality does exist on its' own terms, and even if it existed in a simulation, it would still have its' own intrinsic reality. I have considered various paranormal -type claims and found that they do not meet their burden of proof.

Quote:
If there is any new information you think I should consider, let me know.
As I have suggested. That the Bible and particularly the NT and specifically the Resurrection accounts can be shown to be untrue or at least unreliable is 'new' information, because you won't hear it from the bible -believers. But you can hear it from me. You may not want to and prefer to believe on the grounds that I could be wrong. But it would still remain reasons why disbelief is based on good reasons and is justified.

Old 10-03-2019, 09:04 PM

Quote:
I don't see one.
It's this: "Make the tribulation great again"

Was the Tribulation ever that great?

Old 10-03-2019, 09:17 PM

15,864 posts, read 6,337,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
It's this: "Make the tribulation great again"

Was the Tribulation ever that great?
That's my status line Trans!

Old 10-03-2019, 09:56 PM

Quote:
That's my status line Trans!
It is? Looks like i screwed up. Damn I did. IWMN has no visible 'status', other than 'senior member' - which anyone gets who stays longer than a 'drive -by polemicist'.

Old 10-03-2019, 10:43 PM

11,033 posts, read 5,995,283 times
Quote:
What is motivating you?
Quote:
Read my “status” text.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
IWMN has no visible 'status',
What's that telling us?

Old 10-04-2019, 12:14 AM

16,798 posts, read 4,996,217 times
Quote:
You asked me: "Have you worshiped the various Hindu gods...just in case your eternity might depend on it?"

Your implication is that Hindu gods might be as credible as the Christian God. I disagree. My short answer is that I don't see Hindu gods as credible. I'm willing to compare any other religion to Christianity in terms of credibility. That would give a fuller answer as to why I am not concerned about my eternity in relation to Hindu gods. Aren't you confident enough in Buddhism to compare it to Christianity?
The probability of any creator god just existing and knowing things is equally unlikely.

At least the gods of Taoism do not have this problem.

Old 10-04-2019, 12:15 AM

16,798 posts, read 4,996,217 times
Quote:
A new nickname for you! Phetaroi the Flouncer!

#epicflounce #notsosureaboutbuddhism
Phetaroi is not flouncing.

You are still evading.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality