Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2020, 02:17 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,060,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
As might be expected, my experiences in deep meditation come under severe criticism here in the forum. As it happens, the constant refrain that "It's all in your mind," provokes my natural philosophical bent and leads me to an alternative view of our Reality that seems more and more likely as we learn more about the role of consciousness and observers on its manifestations at the subatomic level. What if our material reality is NOT what this life is all about. What if it is merely an imaginary realm in the consciousness of God, sort of what Shakespeare suggested was the "stage" upon which we enact our roles in a cosmic production. What if our material fates are completely irrelevant because they are NOT real and the ONLY REAL component is the individual conscious "character" of the Spirit we are developing in response to the physical world. Actually, as unsatisfied as I am with the "red in tooth and claw" aspects of our world, I would personally be far less troubled if it is in some way NOT real. I despise and see no redeeming qualities of the enormous (and inexplicably evil) injustice and suffering in our material reality. But that's just how my mind works.
There is no “alternative” view of reality. Reality is reality. Existence exists, independent of your wants and whims. Obviously, your dissatisfaction with some aspects of reality has led you to seek escape through the navel gazing. And your little human pattern-seeking mind interpreted your troubled introspective observations to “detect” an alien “consciousness” within your own. Patent nonsense, that’s obvious. More troubling that you would be immature enough to believe your fantastic interpretation of what is merely internalized anguish.

Get out of yourself. Take a walk. Look at the trees. You just might see: the trees. And the beauty of atheism is that when we look at the trees, we see the trees, and recognize their beauty and magnificence qua trees. No deity construction or other nonsense. Occam’s Razor. Trees are effing beautiful!

Old 04-06-2020, 02:23 PM

2,962 posts, read 866,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Using style of writing to date texts is difficult and subjective, and the early dates are pushed by Christians. But later research matches the mss with a text in Köln that is dated to around 200 AD.

I have thought this since their second post. But it gives us a chance to expose the bad arguments used by apologists.

You've known this was a "time-wasting" thread since my second post, and yet you've spent time posting 460 comments... because it's "a chance to expose the bad arguments used by apologists"?

When asked what motivates your "participation" on the R&S forum, you usually pretend you're here to "practice your English." I don't think you're being honest with yourself.

My advice... Value precious time more than wasted time. Ignore the forums and go spend some precious time with your daughter, while she's still young. There will be plenty more opportunities, later, for you to waste your time on fruitless pursuits.

Old 04-06-2020, 02:33 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,449,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Nobody knows who even wrote the gospels. Translations of translations of anonymous ancient unknown people writing stories. That’s what the gospels are. No truth about anything should be attached to this nonsense. C’mon people. Time to wake up.

J. Warner Wallace was an atheist homicide detective. He decided to put apply his professional skills to this matter, and ended up discovering that biblical Christianity is true, and the eyewitness account of the resurrection of Jesus are reliable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCHJbO-3-jA

Old 04-06-2020, 02:38 PM

63,908 posts, read 40,187,366 times
Quote:
There is no “alternative” view of reality. Reality is reality. Existence exists, independent of your wants and whims. Obviously, your dissatisfaction with some aspects of reality has led you to seek escape through the navel gazing. And your little human pattern-seeking mind interpreted your troubled introspective observations to “detect” an alien “consciousness” within your own. Patent nonsense, that’s obvious. More troubling that you would be immature enough to believe your fantastic interpretation of what is merely internalized anguish.

Get out of yourself. Take a walk. Look at the trees. You just might see: the trees. And the beauty of atheism is that when we look at the trees, we see the trees, and recognize their beauty and magnificence qua trees. No deity construction or other nonsense. Occam’s Razor. Trees are effing beautiful!
Interesting overreaction to my speculative musings. You really seem to have undiagnosed issues, Marc YOUR view of Reality is NOT controlling nor is it likely to discredit any alternative views. Thinking that is intellectually immature. To say that your post is abreactive would be understating it. Chill, man. I am likely twice your age and maturity so tamp it down a bit.

Old 04-06-2020, 02:59 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,198,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Phlegon certainly is not. Here is what he said.

"In the 4th year of the 202nd Olympiad, there was a great eclipse of the Sun, greater than had ever been known before, for at the sixth hour the day was changed into night, and the stars were seen in the heavens. An earthquake occurred in Bythinia and overthrew a great part of the city of Nicæa."

- In the 4th year would be June 32 AD to June 33 AD, but the Greek for 1st and 4th is almost identical (Α and Δ). This could be a copyist error as only the 6th hour mentioned matches the Jesus story. But it also matches the solar eclipse in November, 29 AD, which was also in the 202nd Olympiad. The rest of the points fail for the gospel accounts, but not for the eclipse in 29 AD.
I can speak to that.

Eclipses vary and are identified as either a partial eclipse or a total eclipse and additionally annular for Sun and penumbral for Moon. In an annular solar eclipse, Moon barely touches Sun.

When you see in texts references such as "great eclipse" that is a total eclipse in modern astronomy.

However, there's a very serious problem here.

We're talking Saros Series 72 and the total solar eclipse occurred on November 14, 29 CE at 00:46 AM UT (Universal Time) at 20° Scorpio 10' lasting a shade over 4 minutes, or 4.13 minutes which is about 4 minutes and 8 seconds or so.

LMT in Jerusalem is 2:20, so

2:20
+:46
-----
2:66 or 3:06 AM in Jerusalem.

There's no possible way anyone in Jerusalem saw that solar eclipse, much less anyone in Rome.

Now, regarding Phlegon, in Saros Series 82 there was a total solar eclipse at 9° Scorpio 21' lasting a whole 1.07 minutes at 3:43 PM UT on November 3, 31 CE.

3:43
-----
5:63 or 6:03 PM.

That would have been visible in Jerusalem.

In Saros Series 62 there was total solar eclipse lasting a shade under 2 minutes that occurred at 0° Sagittarius 58' on November 24, 29 CE at 9:17 AM UT.

9:17
-----
11:37 AM in Jerusalem and clearly visible.

In Saros Series 59 the total solar eclipse lasted 4 minutes 6 seconds on March 19, 33 CE at 10:43 AM UT at 26° Pisces 51'.

10:43
+2:20
-------
12:63 PM or 1:03 PM Jerusalem time which would also have been visible.

In case anyone is wondering, the longest known total solar eclipse was in 1937 and lasted 7 minutes and 13 seconds.

Regarding time reckoning, it's Mesopotamian. A beru is 12 hours and a double beru (written beru.beru) is 24 hours.

It's reckoned from sunset to sunset, so the 6th hour is either midnight or noon.

Since the texts claim the crucifixion occurred during Passover, that would mean the only one that could possibly fit would be March 19, 33 CE which at 1:03 PM is close enough for government work to be the 6th hour.

Old 04-06-2020, 03:10 PM

5,912 posts, read 2,611,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
J. Warner Wallace was an atheist homicide detective. He decided to put apply his professional skills to this matter, and ended up discovering that biblical Christianity is true, and the eyewitness account of the resurrection of Jesus are reliable.

Pretending to be an atheist then turning xian is a great way to sell books to the gullible.

Does he have books he’s written on his metamorphosis and do you own any?

I wish I was scum enough to take advantage of you guys.

Old 04-06-2020, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post

Nonsense, and another fallacious argument from authority. The Law of Identity states that a thing is what it is, and includes its nature and characteristics. The gospels are what they are, and cannot be other than that no matter who says what in 2020. They are ancient ANONYMOUS translations of interpretations of translations of stories of unknown authorship. Taking them seriously is an emotional decision based on your needs and wants and fears. Don’t do that. Be more skeptical. Think clearly and realize what you are dealing with. You can enjoy a good story. We all can. Do that, but live your real life in reality by reason, not fantasy. It isn’t necessary in any way to go back to ancient nonsense like this. I promise you, nobody is watching and nobody cares. We have a world. We have a time. Live here, live now, and live according to a skeptical standard with reason as your motor and motive.

Old 04-06-2020, 03:16 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,198,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwasmadenew View Post
No, I have never thought about the experience of Valhalla. I didn't even know what it was before I looked it up.

Based on an objective assessment of the evidence, I believe Valhalla is merely fictional. There is simply not enough evidence to persuade me.
That's because you're scared silly to look for evidence and your objectivity is non-existent.

If you were really familiar with Valhalla, and I do not for a minute believe you are, then you'd know that on the Day of Ragnorook (aka Judgment Day), 540 warriors pour forth from each of 800 doors or gates in Valhalla.

540 * 800 = 432,000

You should know that the four yugas -- Satya Yuga, Treta Yuga, Dwapar Yuga, and Kali Yuga -- are descending in scale of scared years and that a sacred year is 432,000 years:

Satya Yuga: 432,000 * 4,000 = 1,728,000,000 years
Treta Yuga: 432,000 * 3,000 = 1,296,000,000 years
Dwapar Yuga: 432,000 * 2,000 = 864,000,000 years
Kali Yuga: 432,000 * 1,000 = 432,000,000 years

The fact that Norse people are obsessed with a number used by Hindus would prompt normal people to start asking questions.

So, what does that say about you?

Just out of curiosity, um, what "objective" (snicker) methodology did you use?

Old 04-06-2020, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Interesting overreaction to my speculative musings. You really seem to have undiagnosed issues, Marc YOUR view of Reality is NOT controlling nor is it likely to discredit any alternative views. Thinking that is intellectually immature. To say that your post is abreactive would be understating it. Chill, man. I am likely twice your age and maturity so tamp it down a bit.
No name calling or ad hominem please. Stick to reality. Stop navel gazing. You need to extrospect now, your introspection has gone horribly awry. You are a conscious human being. Your consciousness begins and ends with your physical brain. And has an expiration date. Express ideas from that awareness. Skepticism. Critical thinking. Reality. No meditative insobriety.

Old 04-06-2020, 03:32 PM

63,908 posts, read 40,187,366 times
Quote:
No name calling or ad hominem please.
Ha,ha. I was responding to your ad hominem filled post!
Quote:
Stick to reality. Stop navel gazing. You need to extrospect now, your introspection has gone horribly awry. You are a conscious human being. Your consciousness begins and ends with your physical brain. And has an expiration date. Express ideas from that awareness. Skepticism. Critical thinking. Reality. No meditative insobriety.
You are aware that all field manifestations in our Reality are forms of energy, mass, momentum, right? If your consciousness is in a form that we would recognize as material why can't we measure its energy form? Where can I see the consciousness that is actually Marc? Where does the Marc-consciousness that is communicating with me reside? It cannot be your brain because your thoughts are NOT made of matter. They are immeasurable thought-energy. I am not communicating with a piece of meat, although it can seem so at times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality