Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2019, 06:48 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,207,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Go look and see.

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...controversies/

There are several threads with hundreds of replies, and three with thousands of replies, and that's just on the first page of thread titles.

There is so much intense hatred and venom in that forum that I can't tolerate reading anything there. I made it clear from the beginning that I wasn't moderating Politics. Read a few threads over there and my reasoning should be obvious.

I don't know how the moderators over there keep their sanity
They probably don't read over there, either!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2019, 06:07 PM

2,962 posts, read 864,788 times
Very interesting and thought provoking...

3 Important Questions No One Knows The Answers To (Universe Edition)
[11 min. video]
*NOTE: This video is NOT presented from a religious perspective.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUmi_fPRtYQ

Old 10-06-2019, 10:36 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times
Yes, very good and true, but quite off the topic, as well as irrelevant. What is unknown is "Unknown". It is not evidence for a god.

Old 10-07-2019, 04:47 AM

4,747 posts, read 2,350,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwasmadenew View Post
Very interesting and thought provoking...

3 Important Questions No One Knows The Answers To (Universe Edition)
[11 min. video]
*NOTE: This video is NOT presented from a religious perspective.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUmi_fPRtYQ
If there is no reason to believe that there is a God, what purpose is served by believing that there is a God? Only wish fulfillment.

And that is exactly what I have been referring to when I call religion make believe.

The Bible is a collection of the ruminations of the ancient concepts of ancient people attempting to answer the profound mysteries of their existence. The Bible is no more, or less, accurate that the ancient concepts on existence found in Buddhist religious musings. Or Hindu religious musings. Or Muslim musings.

The answers are not to be found in make believe. If the answers are to be found at all, they are to be found in empirical observation. But only if we are intelligent enough to understand what we are observing.

And if we are not dragged back down into ignorance by the wish fulfillment cravings and desires of the ignorant.

Old 10-07-2019, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
If there is no reason to believe that there is a God, what purpose is served by believing that there is a God? Only wish fulfillment.

And that is exactly what I have been referring to when I call religion make believe.

The Bible is a collection of the ruminations of the ancient concepts of ancient people attempting to answer the profound mysteries of their existence. The Bible is no more, or less, accurate that the ancient concepts on existence found in Buddhist religious musings. Or Hindu religious musings. Or Muslim musings.

The answers are not to be found in make believe. If the answers are to be found at all, they are to be found in empirical observation. But only if we are intelligent enough to understand what we are observing.

And if we are not dragged back down into ignorance by the wish fulfillment cravings and desires of the ignorant.
I do think there are reasons to believe there is a God, and I also think that Christianity is more credible than the other religions you mentioned. I presented some reasoning why I believe God exists in the “Comparing...” thread. If you want to pick a religion, I will present a case for why I think Christianity is more credible than other religions.

Old 10-07-2019, 08:28 AM

50,833 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
I do think there are reasons to believe there is a God, and I also think that Christianity is more credible than the other religions you mentioned. I presented some reasoning why I believe God exists in the “Comparing...” thread. If you want to pick a religion, I will present a case for why I think Christianity is more credible than other religions.
Reader's Digest version: "I believe christianity is more credible than other religions because it's the religion I believe in".

Old 10-07-2019, 08:35 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times
Quote:
We shall await your reasoning with bated breath.

Old 10-07-2019, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Reader's Digest version: "I believe christianity is more credible than other religions because it's the religion I believe in".
Maybe that’s your own reasoning, but it’s not true about me. You make claims like that about me and yet you continue to avoid my offer to compare Christianity to any other religion. Why?

Old 10-07-2019, 09:50 AM

50,833 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
Maybe that’s your own reasoning, but it’s not true about me. You make claims like that about me and yet you continue to avoid my offer to compare Christianity to any other religion. Why?
It is exactly true about you and about most people. Do you really think Muslims go around thinking their religion isn't the best religion? Do you think Hindus don't believe their religion is best. Same for Buddhists.

All of us think our religion is best. Otherwise, it wouldn't be "our religion".

Old 10-07-2019, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
It is exactly true about you and about most people. Do you really think Muslims go around thinking their religion isn't the best religion? Do you think Hindus don't believe their religion is best. Same for Buddhists.

All of us think our religion is best. Otherwise, it wouldn't be "our religion".
I think many people who grow up with a specific religion are prone to seeing it as most credible, but I came to Christianity in my 50’s and I was looking for the truth wherever it could be found. I wasn’t looking for a specific religion. I was looking for the clearest view of reality I can have. My beliefs about Christianity are the result of that goal. I was/am not interested in believing something simply because of personal preference. If you could show me a more credible truth, I would happily adopt it if it was a clearer view of reality.

You still are avoiding my offer to demonstrate why I believe Christianity is the most credible of all religions. You don’t have to make guesses as to my reasoning. Pick a religion you think is at least as credible as Christianity and I’ll give you explicit reasons. The fact that you haven’t taken me up on this leads me to think you believe “one religion is as good as another.” I don’t see it that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality