Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2019, 08:23 PM

421 posts, read 153,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I don't foresee a day without religion. But I do believe there will be a day when they are all benign, unlike the cancers of American Christian fundamentalism and Islamic terrorism.
Christianity is in the process of evolving into something very different. I don't know how long it will take, but the change has rapidly accelerated over the last decade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2019, 01:23 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,697,383 times
Interesting thread. The theist side side haven't shown up too well with their ridiculous accusations. If there is no religion then there will be no art or music? Where did that come from? By now even the hoary old argument 'no morality without God' has been not only discredited, but it is shown that god's morals aren't morality at all, but dictatorship.

The argument that a society without religion would necessarily be be bad is invalid. The argument that you need religion for any workable society is invalid. I'd argue that society has always been human and based on human ethics and morality, and religion has just hi -jacked those morals and claimed the credit - while tweaking them a bit to make their own control and authority part of morality

On paper there is no reason why there can't be a non -religious society. When this could happen in actuality is more arguable. Given that humans seem to be a problem -solving animal the instinct to answer questions with supposed pattern of events seems to suggest that answering questions with faith -based answers will likely always be with us. At least until science can explain all this stuff and do it just as well.

But it doesn't matter. The goal is not to eradicate religion, superstition or even fringe -science and cults (within legal parameters, of course) but to have a level playing field where anyone can believe what they want - or not - and no one dogma will dictate how everyone should think. And that means a non -religious society.

Old 09-18-2019, 03:59 AM

16,763 posts, read 4,971,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_Thinker View Post
I had a dream some time back in which I made a trip to some future era, perhaps the 22nd Century (?) and I was shown around a small village, which included a multi-use community center. My guide showed me the auditorium area and told me that it was used for religious services. I about had a fit - this is the future, and they still have religion?? Egads! I was told that people (most of them, anyhow) needed religion in their lives.

It's been years, and I'm still bummed about the idea of religion carrying on into the indefinite future. It's probably true - I just don't see it going away anytime soon.

However, I'd like to entertain the idea of a non-religious future - if not for the world, a large part of it, like Europe and N. America. First of all, is such a future remotely possible? We've all heard of the recent decline of the major churches, and more churches are closing across the land than new ones are founded. Will this trend continue until we're a completely non-religious society? Or will the trend reverse (perhaps due to a economic calamity or whatever) and society becomes heavily religious again?

If we go the non-religious route, what would society be like? A scientific utopia in which everyone is logical and lives by reason alone? (I wish!) If society becomes more religious in the future, what would it be like? Would we see a massive reversal of civil rights, especially with women and gays? Or would religion just be a private part of people's lives, and not be prevalent in the public sphere like we've seen in the recent past?

Table is open for discussion ...
Religion exists because we as a species are usually and naturally religious. It, or the cause of religion has helped us survive, whether religion is true or not. So I do not see a civilization existing without religion. And the world would be less interesting without it.

So instead of arguing what the world would or should be like without religion, we should be working to those goals with the religious. We should all be fighting the fundamentalists.

Old 09-18-2019, 04:02 AM

16,763 posts, read 4,971,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCyou View Post
Why haven't you packed up and moved already to China or Russa? - together they already amass your dream.
They are both religious countries.

Old 09-18-2019, 05:33 AM

5,209 posts, read 1,795,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hball72 View Post
Christianity is in the process of evolving into something very different. I don't know how long it will take, but the change has rapidly accelerated over the last decade.
I see this happening as well. I was absent from American Christian culture for many years, and when I came back the differences were remarkable. What do you think is causing this? I have some theories of my own, but I'm curious to hear what do you think it is evolving into, and what is causing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Religion exists because we as a species are usually and naturally religious. It, or the cause of religion has helped us survive, whether religion is true or not. So I do not see a civilization existing without religion. And the world would be less interesting without it.

So instead of arguing what the world would or should be like without religion, we should be working to those goals with the religious. We should all be fighting the fundamentalists.
I totally agree. Fundamentalism, or rigid thinking, of any type is what should be fought against.

Last edited by kmom2; 09-18-2019 at 06:33 AM..

Old 09-18-2019, 06:29 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,007,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Oh please. The vulnerable and the weak have not prospered under christianity.
Of course they have. We actually allow women to DRIVE in the US.

Seriously though, just take a hard look at the world. In America, people have the freedoms they have due to Christian values.

Old 09-18-2019, 08:14 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,367,033 times
As long as religion makes people fear a 'hell'...good, it might keep someone from robbing me...lettem fear
a monster God that they think sends them to some eternal fire...lettem think they're worms and sinners.
Maybe they'll try harder to be nice.
And while they are swimming in low self-esteem and guilt...my husband can get the executive job they lost.
I think religion's great.

Old 09-18-2019, 08:24 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,040,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Of course they have. We actually allow women to DRIVE in the US.

Seriously though, just take a hard look at the world. In America, people have the freedoms they have due to Christian values.
No. People have the freedoms we enjoy because of Enlightenment values. Those values were not particularly religious, and could be viewed as the origins of publicly acceptable atheism.

It is not intellectually honest to arbitrarily claim all beneficial things as being the result of Christianity. .

Old 09-18-2019, 08:32 AM

25,557 posts, read 17,263,106 times
Quote:
Is it possible to have a future with zero religion?
No.

The concept of God will be rethought but religion itself will not die. The problem is with organized religion, not religion itself. Organized religion usually requires that all of us believe such and such, and is led by someone who claims to be informed and trained.
Such nonsense.

Old 09-18-2019, 08:35 AM

14,963 posts, read 9,794,276 times
Look forward and see religion as it was intended or as it has become... might alter one's thinking.

What is perfect religion? We have been given a template and I can't imagine anyone opposed to perfect religion. Does religion require worship? However every religion man has created, no matter the good intentions, fall short of perfection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality