Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2020, 10:35 AM

50,860 posts, read 24,371,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink57 View Post
...Perhaps God is waiting until the world's sinfulness has reached its full measure before stepping in. I know things are bad now, but I have a feeling that things are going to be a lot worse before they get better.
That's not helping the ones who are suffering now and have in the past. Millions of people. Millions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2020, 10:56 AM

1,757 posts, read 757,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I don't know who you're having this conversation with. It's certainly not with me.
?

Are Christians any more likely to betray their principles (mind you different Christians may have different principles)?

All people of all religions and lack of religions have principles that they betray from time to time.

I don't see how Christians are any different. Do not atheists proclaim high principles that society should adhere to and individuals should live by...and yet betray them from time to time at similar rates to Christians.

Old 05-13-2020, 11:06 AM

4,640 posts, read 1,795,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I appreciate your comments over some others from Christians for reasons I won't get into...
Wow! Thanks for the compliment, LM! I think between you and thrill, you both made my day today.

Quote:
As such, I'm curious what you would say about a good friend of mine who is Christian, also Catholic, who recently explained to me he is not your typical Christian however. For example he is pro-choice.

That okay far as you are concerned? I mean okay thinking in your opinion? Acceptable? In God's eyes...
Just like your friend may not be a typical Christian, I'm also not a typical Catholic (if there is such a thing!)

In order to answer your question, I would rather do it via DM...if, that's o.k. with you...?

Old 05-13-2020, 11:22 AM

29,552 posts, read 9,737,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBaker View Post
?

Are Christians any more likely to betray their principles (mind you different Christians may have different principles)?

All people of all religions and lack of religions have principles that they betray from time to time.

I don't see how Christians are any different. Do not atheists proclaim high principles that society should adhere to and individuals should live by...and yet betray them from time to time at similar rates to Christians.
In deed...

Who was it that said "He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone..."

This is why these generalizations are a fast track to nowhere. Who is being a hypocrite about what, when, where and why? Specifics please and we can better judge. Otherwise enjoy the mud fest...

Old 05-13-2020, 11:30 AM

29,552 posts, read 9,737,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink57 View Post
Wow! Thanks for the compliment, LM! I think between you and thrill, you both made my day today.

Just like your friend may not be a typical Christian, I'm also not a typical Catholic (if there is such a thing!)

In order to answer your question, I would rather do it via DM...if, that's o.k. with you...?
Glad to make your day before I get on with the rest of mine and sign off now...

Sorry but I'm not a DMer for reasons I've explained a few times before in this forum. I prefer the general sharing of the comments you too seem to appreciate here and there, and I appreciate when others join the discussion which is not possible when going the way of DM. It's also all the time I can devote in this forum in general without doing DMs too.

Is there any reason we can't continue our exchange in this thread and others?

Though I get what you mean, I think there is the typical Catholic with respect to what commonly causes people to call themselves Catholic. (I used to be a Catholic too BTW). Then too there are the exceptions to the rule, but they don't make the rule generally speaking. You either are or you are not for mostly obvious reasons.

My question to you was in a way to point out we all take pretty liberal license to believe whatever we like. We believe what we do for different reasons. All as I pretty well explained before by way of my Ten Truths if you are really interested in furthering this discussion there too or instead if you like...

Ten Truths
https://www.city-data.com/forum/reli...en-truths.html

My thoughts in general if you care to consider them.

Until tomorrow then. Cheers!

Old 05-13-2020, 12:31 PM

50,860 posts, read 24,371,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBaker View Post
?

Did I say christians are "more likely to betray their principles"?

Did I say non-christians don't also have principles they "betray from time to time"?

Here's the most simple way I can say it:

If you are a christian and you peddle your christianity to others, then you damned well better be cleaner than the driven snow.

Old 05-13-2020, 12:39 PM

4,640 posts, read 1,795,410 times
Quote:
Glad to make your day before I get on with the rest of mine and sign off now...

Sorry but I'm not a DMer for reasons I've explained a few times before in this forum. I prefer the general sharing of the comments you too seem to appreciate here and there, and I appreciate when others join the discussion which is not possible when going the way of DM. It's also all the time I can devote in this forum in general without doing DMs too.

Is there any reason we can't continue our exchange in this thread and others?
O.k., no worries. I didn't want to broadcast my view on this issue because of some recent events, which have caused me to question my view. So, until I've settled it in my own mind, well...I'd just rather not discuss it here and now.

I'm sure having said that, we both have enough insight to respect the other and we can absolutely continue our exchange.

Quote:
Though I get what you mean, I think there is the typical Catholic with respect to what commonly causes people to call themselves Catholic. (I used to be a Catholic too BTW). Then too there are the exceptions to the rule, but they don't make the rule generally speaking. You either are or you are not for mostly obvious reasons.
Well, I DO go to church on a weekly basis (although with my church on lockdown, I've been "attending" online). I don't eat meat on Friday...which is a LIE, lol! Let's just say that I STRIVE not to. Sometimes my days flow into one another. I may be up all night writing (I'm a writer by trade), when suddenly, I get a yen for bacon and eggs...at 3 a.m.. And just as I'm gobbling down the last morsel of pork, I remember...it's FRIDAY! Now, here's where I'm not so "typical". I don't believe that I have committed a 'grave' mortal sin by eating meat on Friday. And I don't think that I have to wallow in guilt for the next day and a half, before I rush to confession, and tell a priest about my sin. I mean, can't I simply appeal to God directly, there and then? I can and,...I do.

I also believe that I'm not 'typical' because many Catholics wouldn't dream of going to confession and actually sitting in front of the priest, face-to-face, unshielded by that flimsy piece of see-thru chipboard. If I'm going to confess, I want to SEE who I'm confessing to. Bring on the penance, baby (I actually once laughed when a priest gave me penance. I said something like, "That's ALL?", and then started insisting that he 'give me more'...NOT a lie!)

I've been known to sit in the back of church while the priest was giving his Homily, while shaking my head RADICALLY from side to side, in disagreement with what he was saying.

I could go on, but...I think you get the picture!

Quote:
My question to you was in a way to point out we all take pretty liberal license to believe whatever we like. We believe what we do for different reasons. All as I pretty well explained before by way of my Ten Truths if you are really interested in furthering this discussion there too or instead if you like...
Oh, I absolutely agree.

I've seen your Ten Truths before, although when I saw them I didn't respond, as something else caught my attention. And now, it's time for me to make *you* feel good: Your Ten Truths were the reason I joined CD in the first place (and yes, that IS the truth! )

Have an awesome day, sir!

Ten Truths
https://www.city-data.com/forum/reli...en-truths.html

My thoughts in general if you care to consider them.

Until tomorrow then. Cheers!

Old 05-13-2020, 01:37 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,594,064 times
Quote:
Are you perhaps not Earth bound or human based?

You some sort of Beyond Burger or something?
we all are to a degree, right? Thats why I say put claims side by side to see what traits we are all bringing to the table. like your cement theory? lets start making roads out of our cement and driving our claims over them.

Old 05-13-2020, 02:32 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,935,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
Ok...so do you believe in god or don't you????

I'm in my 30s & grew up near Los Angeles....& most people I know didn't grow up believing in a god & we never had to have that light bulb moment.

Okay. I've already stated it a hundred times and I'll probably have to state it another hundred before I leave this earth but that's okay, I say it again only for you, Tasha!

I do believe in some kind of God or Higher Power. This God is deistic. He doesn't give a damn about us nor does He interact with us in any way at all. We see that every minute of every day, especially when we pray to Him and our prayers are routinely ignored. I did once believe in the Abrahamic god of the Christians for 64 years or so and was a fundamentalist until about 2014 or so (check my early threads) when an atheist in here challenged me to research the history of Christianity and it's darker side. So I did for about 1 year. What I found about Christianity horrified me. No historic evidence for Jesus or the apostles; the gospels a hodgepodge of anonymous Greek writers' musings written 70-100 years after this Jesus character supposedly lived; the nefarious goings-on at the Council of Nicaea and much MUCH more. It struck me that a real Christian God would never have let this kind of crap go on in His religion, so I dropped Christianity and its false god like a hot potato and became a deist.

Old 05-13-2020, 02:34 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,594,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Okay. I've already stated it a hundred times and I'll probably have to state it another hundred before I leave this earth but that's okay, I say it again only for you, Tasha!

I do believe in some kind of God or Higher Power. This God is deistic. He doesn't give a damn about us nor does He interact with us in any way at all. We see that every minute of every day, especially when we pray to Him and our prayers are routinely ignored. I did once believe in the Abrahamic god of the Christians for 64 years or so and was a fundamentalist until about 2014 or so (check my early threads) when an atheist in here challenged me to research the history of Christianity and it's darker side. So I did for about 1 year. What I found about Christianity horrified me. No historic evidence for Jesus or the apostles; the gospels a hodgepodge of anonymous Greek writers' musings written 70-100 years after this Jesus character supposedly lived; the nefarious goings-on at the Council of Nicaea and much MUCH more. It struck me that a real Christian God would never have let this kind of crap go on in His religion, so I dropped Christianity and its false god like a hot potato and became a deist.
I heard you every time ... just saying.
I don't agree with your theology any more than I do theirs ... but thats a story for another day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality