Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2022, 10:50 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,016,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Of course it matters which God...because they are not equal at all.
The Gods vary considerably in purported powers and abilities. This is known through even the most basic study of even the most common of the hundreds/thousands of Gods.
For example...Jehovah has much more power & abilities than Thor.
Some Gods are claimed to know everything and can do anything, even created all there is...and, thus, would be capable of changing how things are if they so chose.
Other Gods can only produce specific things, like lighting, thunder, sunshine, etc...and do not have the power to change anything beyond what they can provide.
So...just saying "God" is not at all adequate to pose any questions or make any assessments.
You really do have to be specific to pose a legitimate question or make any kind of critique.
What you are saying is all according to what humans have imagined or decided about gods, it's not what any gods have decided about themselves. Humans don't know who or what gods are or what gods are capable of.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2022, 11:19 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,648,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
What you are saying is all according to what humans have imagined or decided about gods, it's not what any gods have decided about themselves. Humans don't know who or what gods are or what gods are capable of.
Yes...but it is humans that are referring to "God" and then passing judgments about what God is supposedly responsible for and to be assigned blame, based upon purported abilities relative to actions taken or not taken.
How are they to make such assessments if they don't even know what God they are referring to, and what this God even is or isn't aware of or capable of doing about anything?
The OP blames "God" for major problems in the world based upon how this God created the world and set things up. Yet the OP never identifies the God, or even how they knew that this God did, or was even capable of, all this creating he claims it did.
If the God cannot be identified, and its abilities and accomplishments established...then it isn't reasonable to blame it for anything.

Old 03-26-2022, 11:38 PM

50,769 posts, read 24,270,853 times
Quote:
God bears full responsibility for how screwed up the world is.

No, I disagree with that statement. God bears no responsibility for anything. Not anything. Ever. God doesn't make choices or decisions effecting the world or humans. God only observes.

Humans have free choice and humans alone bear full responsibility for the decisions they make and the screwing up that humans do to each other and to the world. Everything else that humans don't do or don't cause to happen on Earth is completely natural.

Accusing God of being responsible for how screwed up humans and the world are is just a lame excuse used by blinkered, lazy humans in denial who refuse to accept responsibility for their own screwy decisions and actions and try to use God as a scapegoat and whipping post to point the fingers at because of their own mistakes.

I'd really like to see anybody be able to prove that God is responsible for the world being screwed up. It can't be done.

The world isn't screwed up anyway, the world is just doing what comes naturally to look after itself. It's all cool, don't worry, be happy. It's only screwed up humans who perceive the world as being screwed up.

Then why do we need him?

Old 03-26-2022, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Yes...but it is humans that are referring to "God" and then passing judgments about what God is supposedly responsible for and to be assigned blame, based upon purported abilities relative to actions taken or not taken.
How are they to make such assessments if they don't even know what God they are referring to, and what this God even is or isn't aware of or capable of doing about anything?
The OP blames "God" for major problems in the world based upon how this God created the world and set things up. Yet the OP never identifies the God, or even how they knew that this God did, or was even capable of, all this creating he claims it did.
If the God cannot be identified, and its abilities and accomplishments established...then it isn't reasonable to blame it for anything.
Humans are silly. Humans shouldn't be assessing gods and trying to establish gods' abilities and accomplishments. That is arrogant, it's not the place of humans to judge gods (it's actually asking for big trouble). Gods don't instigate or do things on the earthly plane, they only observe but if humans start judging gods the humans will end up being sorry for it. They should just leave the gods alone, neither worship them nor denegrate them. Seriously, it really doesn't matter what the identity is of whatever god the OP is thinking of, it isn't going to make any difference to the OP's statement.

Old 03-27-2022, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Then why do we need him?
Good question. Why do (some) humans believe they need gods for anything? It's so they can have something other-worldy to take responsibility for them, or to worship or to blame besides themselves.

Old 03-27-2022, 12:48 AM

50,769 posts, read 24,270,853 times
Quote:
Good question. Why do (some) humans believe they need gods for anything? It's so they can have something other-worldy to take responsibility for them, or to worship or to blame besides themselves.

That's my thinking, and why I moved away from god-based religions.

Old 03-27-2022, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Humans are silly. Humans shouldn't be assessing gods and trying to establish gods' abilities and accomplishments. That is arrogant, it's not the place of humans to judge gods (it's actually asking for big trouble). Gods don't instigate or do things on the earthly plane, they only observe but if humans start judging gods the humans will end up being sorry for it. They should just leave the gods alone, neither worship them nor denegrate them. Seriously, it really doesn't matter what the identity is of whatever god the OP is thinking of, it isn't going to make any difference to the OP's statement.
Right after you say, "humans are silly, and shouldn't be assessing Gods". Claiming that to be "arrogant" and "not the place of humans"....you make assessments about God!
You assess what Gods do, and don't do: "Gods don't instigate or do things on the earthly plane, they only observe..."
You claim and warn that doing that is "asking for big trouble" and we will "end up being sorry for it". So, then, why did you do it?
Also...how do you know this about Gods? Where did you get this information that, "Gods don't instigate or do things on the earthly plane, they only observe"....to even make such a claim?
Did someone teach you that?
Did you read it somewhere?
What God is it that you know to act like that?
We always have people here making claims about Gods and what they do or don't do, and what they are capable of doing. Some explain where they got the information (ancient Books/Writings)...but many don't.
They just put forth all this information and these claims about God...but never explain how they know it, or why they feel it is valid information...or even identity the God they are referring to.

Old 03-27-2022, 09:55 AM

29,540 posts, read 9,704,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
I'm not holding my breath far as leading Christians from the darkness into the light. I don't speak to them so much as I speak to the lurkers who are reading all this stuff trying to make a rational decision about whether to go with Christianity or something else. I rank religions by the degree of destruction they do to a person's life and the doctrine of eternal hellfire and damnation for not accepting Jesus puts Christianity at the top of my list. I personally have suffered terribly by this good-for-nothing doctrine and am so glad that I ditched all of it.
I am happy for you...

Though I can't say I've suffered the same sort of "destruction" as a result of having been a Christian when I wore a younger man's clothes, I have become sensitive to how religion has very seriously and negatively impacted other poor innocent people. Many over the course of history, up to and including today. Whether religion has helped more people than it has hurt is an interesting question, and another interesting question is to what degree has religion helped people as opposed to hurting?

I've not got those numbers or statistics. No one does, but one thing for sure is that there is plenty of the "good, bad and ugly" to consider along these lines if anyone has an objective bone in their body.

Old 03-27-2022, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
I'm not holding my breath far as leading Christians from the darkness into the light. I don't speak to them so much as I speak to the lurkers who are reading all this stuff trying to make a rational decision about whether to go with Christianity or something else. I rank religions by the degree of destruction they do to a person's life and the doctrine of eternal hellfire and damnation for not accepting Jesus puts Christianity at the top of my list. I personally have suffered terribly by this good-for-nothing doctrine and am so glad that I ditched all of it.
It has always been very obvious that you are not coming from a good place on this...and this highlights that fact.
I hope you are able to collect yourself, and recover from all this terrible suffering you've sustained.
It is most unfortunate...and I will pray for you.

Old 03-27-2022, 10:18 AM

29,540 posts, read 9,704,508 times
Quote:
It has always been very obvious that you are not coming from a good place on this...and this highlights that fact.
I hope you are able to collect yourself, and recover from all this terrible suffering you've sustained.
It is most unfortunate...and I will pray for you.
Funny...

This comment, praying for him, is something like offering to help someone put out a fire with a can of gasoline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality