Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2008, 06:42 AM

2,136 posts, read 4,789,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
I often think about this circle and the companionship, acceptance and love here, most of all I feel the peace of the creator/god among us connecting us, and strengthening us..
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticLady1 View Post
I agree, Blue. It's nice knowing that there is a place where we can come together, where we can focus on our common humanity, and acknowledge our common spirituality that the Creator has given us, if we will but recognize it.

I have found that I first go to the prayer thread and then to the circle. These are the two places where I take comfort...

<><
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2008, 10:22 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,199,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
It is interesting, it seems as though that there are a few religious fundamentalists who are afraid of this sacred circle and want to attach some sort of satanic or devil worship to it, it seems that those who do not understand try to destroy.
In some Abrahamic traditions the role of Satan is to be God's prosecuting attorney (or, you should pardon the term, "Devil's Advocate"). I would suppose that non-Christian religions, because their existence challenges certain people to examine themselves in uncomfortable ways, would fill that role. In that sense, if they want to call me and mine Satanic, that's their privilege...though I would suggest that demonizing that which tests you is an act born of fear.
OTOH, "devil worshipper" is a complete misnomer. I refuse to worship that which does not exist in my faith.

Old 07-25-2008, 10:51 AM

10,607 posts, read 11,662,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
In some Abrahamic traditions the role of Satan is to be God's prosecuting attorney (or, you should pardon the term, "Devil's Advocate"). I would suppose that non-Christian religions, because their existence challenges certain people to examine themselves in uncomfortable ways, would fill that role. In that sense, if they want to call me and mine Satanic, that's their privilege...though I would suggest that demonizing that which tests you is an act born of fear.
OTOH, "devil worshipper" is a complete misnomer. I refuse to worship that which does not exist in my faith.
Aconite, a very interesting post, perhaps you would be willing to educate us a little bit about what it is you worship. I personally would appreciate learning a little more about your belief.

Old 07-25-2008, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Aconite, a very interesting post, perhaps you would be willing to educate us a little bit about what it is you worship. I personally would appreciate learning a little more about your belief.
I'm not sure "worship" is a really good word for it. In the sense of traditional Abrahamic obeisance to the Ruler of All Creation, King of the Universe, Protector/Provider/Giver of All Things...I don't have an anthropomorphic concept that fits that, so there's not a good parallel to Christianity (etc).
My tradition honors the Ancestors, and there are many Gods we treat with to accomplish something specific, or to observe a turn of the wheel. But IMB, those Gods have their own concerns, and really don't require worship per se (though they certainly don't mind acknowledgment).
As for good/evil...we're more about spectra or ranges than simple dualities. It's somewhat akin to the Chinese proverb 塞翁失馬,焉知非福 ("Mr Tsai Lost His Horse-- Who Knew It Wasn't a Blessing?") that I think someone mentioned awhile back, or the theory that the victors write the history books. What is good, or what isn't (or what is or is not Satanic, to go back to my earlier point), depends on your POV. I certainly don't think I'm Satanic. I don't even believe in Satan. But I can't dispute that to Freda the Fundamentalist Christian, who most assuredly does, I might look that way. (Which might, if Freda's a contemplative sort, lead her to wonder how she appears to me.) It's an interesting mental exercise to try and wrap one's mind around.

I'm not explaining well, I think.

Old 07-26-2008, 10:03 AM

Quote:
I'm not sure "worship" is a really good word for it. In the sense of traditional Abrahamic obeisance to the Ruler of All Creation, King of the Universe, Protector/Provider/Giver of All Things...I don't have an anthropomorphic concept that fits that, so there's not a good parallel to Christianity (etc).
My tradition honors the Ancestors, and there are many Gods we treat with to accomplish something specific, or to observe a turn of the wheel. But IMB, those Gods have their own concerns, and really don't require worship per se (though they certainly don't mind acknowledgment).
As for good/evil...we're more about spectra or ranges than simple dualities. It's somewhat akin to the Chinese proverb 塞翁失馬,焉知非福 ("Mr Tsai Lost His Horse-- Who Knew It Wasn't a Blessing?") that I think someone mentioned awhile back, or the theory that the victors write the history books. What is good, or what isn't (or what is or is not Satanic, to go back to my earlier point), depends on your POV. I certainly don't think I'm Satanic. I don't even believe in Satan. But I can't dispute that to Freda the Fundamentalist Christian, who most assuredly does, I might look that way. (Which might, if Freda's a contemplative sort, lead her to wonder how she appears to me.) It's an interesting mental exercise to try and wrap one's mind around.

I'm not explaining well, I think.
I think you're doing a fine job Aconite, of explaining and I think its beliefs and cultures like this that have been around for far more centuries than Christianity and Islam and maybe even Judaism, it sounds like it's very close to my culture of the Native American, some interesting coincidences, do you not think so?

Old 07-27-2008, 07:33 AM

Quote:
I think its beliefs and cultures like this that have been around for far more centuries than Christianity and Islam and maybe even Judaism, it sounds like it's very close to my culture of the Native American, some interesting coincidences, do you not think so?
My path probably converges with First Peoples' beliefs a number of times, Ptsum. My family has threads of Tsalagi and Shawnee woven in with the Welsh & Irish, so it would follow, I think. OTOH, we are such a melange of things I can't lay claim to any real "Native American Spiritual Beliefs"-- only those of my own family.
Where things converge, though, is good.

Old 07-29-2008, 12:00 PM

Here are some wise words to live by:

Every person is unique. Transformation is always an individual process that uses the uniqueness of each human being and develops its own way of becoming. The timing is different for each person, the goals are varied, the vision is ultimately personal, and no part of the process of becoming is externally directed.
The personal will of human beings determines how they grow, how they change, what they sense, and what the outcome will be.
To put rules or regulations on how a flower blooms would be ridiculous. No human, or human made organization can force or subdue the process of internal change. Personal transformation is one of the mysteries of the life process that contains miraculous potentials. osay

Old 07-29-2008, 12:03 PM

Quote:
My path probably converges with First Peoples' beliefs a number of times, Ptsum. My family has threads of Tsalagi and Shawnee woven in with the Welsh & Irish, so it would follow, I think. OTOH, we are such a melange of things I can't lay claim to any real "Native American Spiritual Beliefs"-- only those of my own family.
Where things converge, though, is good.
Aconite, you do good to choose your own path, for nobody knows that better than you. osay

Old 07-31-2008, 04:51 AM

4,346 posts, read 6,621,016 times
We are all blessed to be here together.

That's all I wanted to say...

blessings,
- Byron

Old 07-31-2008, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
We are all blessed to be here together.

That's all I wanted to say...

blessings,
- Byron
And blessings to you Byron, always a pleasure seeing you show up here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality