Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 10:37 AM

22,569 posts, read 19,310,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
And since there is no evidence to prove there isn't a God, those who disbelieve should have prove, but none of us do.
The reason the other gods are thought of as myths is because the Bible says there is only ONE God.
actually it always made sense to me that BOTH were correct, yes there is one Creator, and the collection of gods, in Greece and Egypt for instance, are attempts by humans to describe and address some of god's many faces.

Just like in many traditions, even those that have one god, there are dozens of NAMES for god, different names for god. They are different names, but not different gods, just different names for the same god. Like our beloved sweetheart (which in essence god is) we have many pet names for that one.

God is vast. Our language and human attempts at describing something so vast are by nature limited. They are mere representations of that which we are seeking to describe. But anything that brings people to holiness in their daily life, is useful and valid, whether it's a single god or a collection of gods, if they still lead us to the same place of uplift, wholeness, inspiration, and understanding that which breathes us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2008, 10:52 AM

545 posts, read 2,046,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
Prove there is a god, but no bible quotes, please. You would have to prove the bible is truth first, and no one has been able to do that.

I have not ever met one person who could prove there was a god, but they insist there is one.
REPLY: Tell us :

1. The extent you personally have gone to , to explore this issue from an evidential standpoint . Please list the sources and approx. how many hours you have invested in searching and considering this most vital topic.

2. When you were between 4-7 years old, did you ask your Parent(s) : Where did all of this come fr

om, how did it get here, how did it happen, etc...because you inherently knew at that tender age that remarkable things showing design dont just pop into existence from nothing BY Nothing.

3. At what age did you discover that maximum entitlement and personal freedom could best benefit you by eliminating ultimate moral culpability which
was a fly in the ointment to your desire for a totally autonomous lifestyle ?

4. How does a universe with over 250 extremely narrow scientifically defined Physics Parameters all working in unison and all needed simultaneously so earth can exist so you can live...came from NON intelligent rocks/dirt/gas/and planets ?

5. How did your highly personality traits such as love, reason, rationalizing, abstract thinking , morality, etc...come from NON personality rocks,dirt, gas, planets, etc. and unwilled ??

Bonus : If you were to admit that an intelligent personal Creator existed , would you be willing to surrender your life to him, learn to grow, honor, love, praise, and bow your knee to him as the Universes (your) Creator ? Why not if you wouldnt be ?

Thank you for your consideration .

Old 04-30-2008, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbeDavid View Post
REPLY: Tell us :

The extent you personally have gone to , to explore this issue
IbeDavid makes a really good point in his post. In the opening post, there is something inherently lazy in sitting back and saying "prove it" (one way or the other). I don't mean that as a criticism of the person making the post, but a flaw in the approach. Life is not a discussion, or a debate, or an argument, or a theory. It is an experience.

The laziness in saying "prove it" (while at the same time discounting as invalid any proof a person presents) is the same laziness, lethargy, and unwillingness to do life that people exhibit when they sit on their couch and complain about, well, pretty much anything. It is smug. It is a closed loop. It prevents growth, challenge, anything new from entering the loop.

These are the people who look at a picture of the Grand Canyon and say "I've seen a picture, why do i need to go there?" "I saw it on the Discovery Channel, why bother going there in person?" It is the difference between experiencing life, and living in your head. It's the 'ivory tower' that academicians are accused of inhabiting. That's what comes to mind when i read the opening post. Why does anyone ever bother visiting the Grand Canyon anyway? Because of how they feel when they are there. All the big questions in life are like that....reading about them is not the same as living them for yourself.

What it asks of the person, like IbeDavid points out, is a personal participation, and often the lazy approach is used because that's just what those lazy people are avoiding doing, getting themselves involved in the mysteries of life that just might ask something of them that they are unwilling to explore.

So i would ask the opening post, What's stopping you from exploring the issue yourself?

Old 04-30-2008, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
Prove there is a god, but no bible quotes, please. You would have to prove the bible is truth first, and no one has been able to do that.

I have not ever met one person who could prove there was a god, but they insist there is one.
I have proven to myself god is real
and that is all that matters. Anything else is wasted breath.

Try reading the Tao Te'Ching, it is full of gems like this:
Those that speak do not know.
Those that know do not speak.

Old 04-30-2008, 12:20 PM

4,664 posts, read 8,249,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
And since there is no evidence to prove there isn't a God, those who disbelieve should have prove, but none of us do.
The reason the other gods are thought of as myths is because the Bible says there is only ONE God.

If you make a an extraordinary claim such as the existence of the Christian God, you should have proof to back up that claim, otherwise it is reduced to wishful thinking by definition.

Old 04-30-2008, 12:31 PM

4,664 posts, read 8,249,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DimSumRaja View Post
IbeDavid makes a really good point in his post. In the opening post, there is something inherently lazy in sitting back and saying "prove it" (one way or the other). I don't mean that as a criticism of the person making the post, but a flaw in the approach. Life is not a discussion, or a debate, or an argument, or a theory. It is an experience.

The laziness in saying "prove it" (while at the same time discounting as invalid any proof a person presents) is the same laziness, lethargy, and unwillingness to do life that people exhibit when they sit on their couch and complain about, well, pretty much anything. It is smug. It is a closed loop. It prevents growth, challenge, anything new from entering the loop.

These are the people who look at a picture of the Grand Canyon and say "I've seen a picture, why do i need to go there?" "I saw it on the Discovery Channel, why bother going there in person?" It is the difference between experiencing life, and living in your head. It's the 'ivory tower' that academicians are accused of inhabiting. That's what comes to mind when i read the opening post. Why does anyone ever bother visiting the Grand Canyon anyway? Because of how they feel when they are there. All the big questions in life are like that....reading about them is not the same as living them for yourself.

What it asks of the person, like IbeDavid points out, is a personal participation, and often the lazy approach is used because that's just what those lazy people are avoiding doing, getting themselves involved in the mysteries of life that just might ask something of them that they are unwilling to explore.

So i would ask the opening post, What's stopping you from exploring the issue yourself?

And by your own logic, it is lazy to accept the existence of God by reading ONE book, written 2k years ago! Is it lazy to sitback and accept the flawed logic and rationality of the Christian religion, or lazy to actually loosen the mind shackles and consider scientific reasoning and theory?

The Grand Canyon was created by the Colorado River over a period of six million years, but research released in 2008 suggests a much longer 17 million year time span. Nearly two billion years of the Earth's history have been exposed as the Colorado River and its tributaries cut their channels through layer after layer of rock while the Colorado Plateau was uplifted... This is why people visit the Grand Canyon There is a monumental difference between appreciating history and awe, and answering the unknown with a superstitous deity.

Old 04-30-2008, 12:38 PM

23,025 posts, read 34,425,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
If you make a an extraordinary claim such as the existence of the Christian God, you should have proof to back up that claim, otherwise it is reduced to wishful thinking by definition.
If you make an claim such as there is no existence of the Christian God, you should have proof to back up that claim, otherwise it is your opinion.

Old 04-30-2008, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
And by your own logic, it is lazy to accept the existence of God by reading ONE book, written 2k years ago!
that's not how i proved to myself that god is real. i am a practical person and needed to see results, and i was willing to do the footwork, heartwork, and headwork involved.

plenty of people across time and across the world know god is real, who have nothing to do with the bible. Again, it sounds like you are more interested in an argument / debate / discussion than your own, or anyone else's, personal experiences, which you dismiss as invalid. Mental and verbal spinning of wheels just gets a person stuck further in the mud.

You have painted yourself into a corner and that really doesn't matter to anyone else on this planet, except to you.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 04-30-2008 at 01:04 PM..

Old 04-30-2008, 01:12 PM

33,574 posts, read 37,202,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DimSumRaja View Post
that's not how i proved to myself that god is real. i am a practical person and needed to see results, and i was willing to do the footwork, heartwork, and headwork involved.

plenty of people across time and across the world know god is real, who have nothing to do with the bible. Again, it sounds like you are more interested in an argument / debate / discussion than your own, or anyone else's, personal experiences, which you dismiss as invalid. Mental and verbal spinning of wheels just gets a person stuck further in the mud.

You have painted yourself into a corner and that really doesn't matter to anyone else on this planet, except to you.
So where are the results you found? Post proof, and I will change teams immediately!

Old 04-30-2008, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
So where are the results you found? Post proof, and I will change teams immediately!
the only thing that can be valid for you is your own personal experience, not someone else's. That is the only proof that matters.

it is not a belief, it is an experience.
the best clue, map, is that you get there through the heart, not the head.

So trying to get to god or not through your head (intellect, brain, words, argument, logic, discussion) is like trying to hear music with your eyes. Wrong tool for the job. It's through your heart and emotions and feelings, it is not experienced through words or books or discussions.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 04-30-2008 at 02:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality