Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2008, 02:59 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,246,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFeatherFloats View Post
__________________________________________________ ____________

Prove there is no God, but no attempts to convince with argument either. I want hard facts, please. No gushing passion about your strongly held opinion there is no God. You would have to prove that you are not insane first and who would be able to prove that? Why should they even care?

I have not ever met one person who could prove that there was NOT a God, but lots of people insist there is none.

Prove that there are not 100ft tall pink penguins that speak spanish living on Mars. And I want hard facts please

Why should atheists care? There are plenty of threads on this forum in which people have clearly laid out their reasons. https://www.city-data.com/forum/relig...-agnostic.html

P.s It is also my claim that those penguins are the devine omnipotent, omniscient, creators of the universe. If you don't believe in them, you will spend eternity in the pink penguin freezer

Last edited by Mag3.14; 05-02-2008 at 03:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2008, 03:14 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,246,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFeatherFloats View Post
Science requires more faith to work than any claim by religious sentiment.

It is a clear miracle that so many educated fools can achieve anything in their stagger to obtain admiration and envy among their peers.

Civilization is a disease symptomology and intelligence is a character defect.

OK, so if Quantum mechanics for example, can make predictions about the movements and behaviours of atoms that are so accurate it has been compared to being able to predict the width of North America to the accuracy of one human hair.

How does that take 'faith' to work? But the claim of, for example, Moses parting the red sea, or the snake 'talking', or a virgin birth, or turning water into wine, Jesus cheating death... should I go on? These stories are what, more proven than science?

Please.. visit reality, you don't need a passport

Last edited by Mag3.14; 05-02-2008 at 03:40 AM..

Old 05-02-2008, 04:09 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,468,099 times
What's with all the boisterous, in your face, holier than thou people showing up lately? Did someone make a call to Kirk Cameron and Ray Comfort for reinforcements or something???

Old 05-02-2008, 08:29 AM

205 posts, read 374,713 times
As Human Beings We Are Not Self-sufficient, Even Though We Would Like To Think We Are. We Cannot Reveal God's Nature In The Context Of Being Continually Conected To Him In Fellowship. Who Ever Is Going To Be Truly Satisfied With Life Until He Or She Loves God. God Must Have The Primary Place In Our Lives Because We Were Designed To Find Fulfillment And Ultimate Meaning In Him And Our Life. God Created Humanity To Carry Out His Purposes In The Earth. This Is Mankind's Primary Vocation.[ When God Created Man ]you Guys Just Love It When I Say That.........in His Image,he Gave Him A Free Will. In This Way ,man Was Given The Ability To Plan And Think For Them Selves And Make Decisions, And Then To Take Action To Fulfill Those Plans , Just As God Did In Creating The World . Just Like If A Plan Crashed To The Ground ,you Have Your Professionals Looking At The After Mathof That Crash Thinking .......what Happen Here,this Is What We'll Say Happened Here..................... But Man Was Meant To Carry Out God's Purposes Fo The Earth Using His Own Will And Initiative............ How Was Humanity To Fullfill This Vocation ? Your Lowest Aswer Will Be Dout,unbelieve Picking Up Peaces Of Gods After-math What..

Old 05-02-2008, 10:20 AM

2,136 posts, read 4,792,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
Prove there is a god, but no bible quotes, please. You would have to prove the bible is truth first, and no one has been able to do that.

I have not ever met one person who could prove there was a god, but they insist there is one.
I spoke with him this morning.

<>< weather...

Old 05-02-2008, 10:26 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,200,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherologist View Post
I spoke with him this morning.

<>< weather...
Most likely you received no response. You can also talk to a frying pan.

Old 05-02-2008, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Most likely you received no response. You can also talk to a frying pan.

I'm sorry, were you speaking to me?

Old 05-02-2008, 10:56 AM

Yep, that was the same answer that I got from my frying pan.

Old 05-02-2008, 11:27 AM

205 posts, read 374,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherologist View Post
Yep, that was the same answer that I got from my frying pan.
you should have better names for your parents....

Old 05-02-2008, 03:23 PM

713 posts, read 1,867,217 times
Proof for God?

When it comes to matters of fact or history, there can never be 100% certainty. Even in the legal system, it is never 100% certain that a person is guilty or innocent. The standard is "a moral certainty beyond reasonable doubt." 100% certainty is only found in matters of formality...like mathematics, logic, statements of definition ("all husbands are married") etc. So there won't ever be 100% proof for the existence of God, either.

Probably the best evidence for God is the historical evidence of Jesus Christ and the events surrounding his life. The events of Jesus' life are recorded in the four "Gospels," which record the life and teachings of Jesus according to those who had direct contact with him. In these accounts, Jesus claims to be God.

Are the four Gospels reliable accounts of Christ's life? Believe it or not, it isn't necessary to claim the Gospels are divinely inspired or infallible to show that they are reliable accounts. Why? Because the New Testament has better textual support than do the works of Plato, Aristotle, and all other works of the classical world. Sir Frederic Kenyon, former director of the British Museum, is quoted as saying, "the interval between the dates of original composition and the earliest extant evidence becomes so small as to be in fact negligible, and the last foundation for any doubt that the (New Testament has) come down to us substantially as they were written has now been removed. Both the authenticity and the general integrity of the books of the New Testament may be regarded as finally established."

Were the gospel writers just making stuff up? Anything is possible, but historical accounts are considered innocent until proven guilty, just like witnesses in a court of law. What about miracles? Can we believe the gospel writers when they claim to have seen miracles? Today, we tend to say that certain events (like Jesus walking on water, rising to life again after being dead, etc) could not have occurred, because we "know" that those events are impossible. However this is a classic case of "circular reasoning" or "begging the question." How do we "know" what is impossible without first investigating evidence for things outside of our ordinary experience?

Consider the following quote from G. K. Chesterton regarding miracles: "Somehow or other an extraordinary idea has arisen that the disbelievers in miracles consider them coldly and fairly, while believers in miracles accept them only in connection with some dogma. The fact is quite the other way. The believers in miracles accept them (rightly or wrongly) because they have evidence for them. The disbelievers in miracles deny them (rightly or wrongly) because they have a doctrine against them."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality