Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2008, 12:19 AM

4,049 posts, read 5,037,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RageKing View Post
It just seems hard for me to accept this all occurred, more or less, by chance.
Argument from incredulity/argument from ignorance
Quote:
Also, and this is a complex question, but if there is no God do we have free will?
Why not?

Denying the Antecedent:
A: If God exists, he gave us free will.
B: God does not exist.
C: Therefore, we have no free will.

Doesn't make sense because it is a logical fallacy. Of course, you have to come to the conclusion rather than just suggesting it as a possibility... But at least you can know where your line of thinking came from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2008, 12:46 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,470,770 times
Before I start I just want to let you know that I'm not picking your post apart with any sort of ill-conceived pretenses, I just want to address all of your points.

Quote:
Hey hey, it's me again. I wanted to apologize to anyone here who was offended by my initial post.
Apology accepted.

Quote:
I originally intended it as a joke but in retrospect I see it was not funny and was in poor taste.
That's alright. But, I will say that if you really want to debate and learn different sides of the spectrum that it doesn't help to come out and tell people to kill themselves. Just as a general warning, there are all kinds of people on the internet and some of them could be much less stable than you realize and the mere suggestion of something such as that isn't really funny, in my opinion. Everyone here more or less likes and enjoys the occasional wise crack but there are some things that are a little bit more 'off limits' than others. But, enough about that, I'm not here to lecture you.

Quote:
What I meant to get across is that to ME it seems as if life can lack ultimate meaning if there is not the possibility that it extends past this very short mortal existence.
I think you've touched upon a point that Sartre was very involved with. Although Sartre had a wide range of aspects, I'd first like to point out that dread is something that he seemed to focus on but that it also goes hand in hand with what you ask later on in your post about free will.

To first explain Sartre you have to sort of understand existentialism of which I am no expert by any means. But, and to do the topic such unfair justice, I have found the best one line description to mean:

"Man defines himself."

In other words, man is defined by his acts and that he is responsible for his actions. If you want to look at it from one perspective, if you act in a horrid, wretched manner than you are essentially a horrid, wretched person (although such a finite definition can hardly be fair.)

Nevertheless, to go back to what I was saying about dread, in that the freedom of existentialist thinking in the Atheistic case can sometimes lead to dread and/or anxiety as a result of our freedom. There is nothing holding us back, and in a sense, this can be somewhat true.

Yet, to revert back to the initial claim in this case that "Man defines himself" I think that the logical fallacy is to say that you and your actions cannot hold yourself back. Or, in other words, while there may not be some cosmic entity holding you back or keeping you from committing crimes, you are still culpable of setting moral and ethical standards as well as limits and thereby setting your own boundaries and thereby defining "you".

Quote:
I do not disrespect anyone who is an atheist, and in many ways I can understand their viewpoints. One thing that always bothers me, though, is that this world just seems too beautifully intricate and complex to not have some kind of intelligent author. You can look at the patterns on a butterfly or the skin of a chameleon and see genius behind it. It just seems hard for me to accept this all occurred, more or less, by chance.
This is a well known argument from religious circles that is commonly called an argument of incredulity. While the pretenses seem at first strong, in that this complex universe and world is certainly something to marvel at, it doesn't really posit an effective argument to say "I can't believe it therefore God did it." Essentially, from another perspective, I could just as easily say "I can't believe it therefore garden faeries, or leprechauns, or Bigfoot did it." And aside from that, what would a world we live in look like that wasn't designed?

I would suspect that we'd find a lot of problems in an un-designed world. Things such as the Andromeda Galaxy barreling straight for the Milky Way Galaxy, our rectums being so close to our reproductive organs, narrow passageways in the woman's uterus causing painful childbirth that can and have been notoriously deadly. We might also find humans have the same tube for breathing as well as eating (who designed that?!).

Appearances can often be deceiving and just because we fit in the world and survive in the world does not mean that it's a well designed world. It would seem more to me that we have adapted to the world rather than it was designed for us. And, finally, as I mentioned in another post on this thread, isn't looking at the world as saying "Everything is just right" a lot like saying "The hole is just the right size for the puddle?" After all, a puddle can really form in any hole, but to strictly observe a single puddle and awe and admire the just perfect conformity of the hole the puddle resides in is sort of self-defeating, no?

Yet, of all the things I wanted to point out is that you used the word chance and that is a word that sort of makes the hair rise on the back of my neck when I hear it in context with evolution (which is where I assume you are going with this). Chance, to me, implies an "all of a suddenness" as if all of a sudden something happened. Yet, even any slight modicum and reading of evolutionary theory will tell you that chance is the wrong word to use as evolution depends on a slow series of gradual change to adapt to an environment. Interestingly enough, part of that theory is explaining that those who are ill-suited for their environment will be less likely to further their genes on into the gene pool and therefore the strongest and most able will make it to reproductive age to multiply and carry their genes forward.

Therefore, while chance may be seen as a lucky coincidence for a specific animal it's hardly apt to use it as a word that describes our origins or our species or, for that matter, any other species. Again, to use chance is a lot like talking about that puddle.

Quote:
Also, and this is a complex question, but if there is no God do we have free will?
Why certainly as I alluded to in the above. In fact, I would think that with God you would have less free will than without God. After all, that's where the dread part came in. And some people clearly cannot handle thinking outside the realm of being controlled or governed by cosmic laws. To each his own I suppose.

Yet, I continue to be stumped at this notion of free will as if it were some sort of mandatory thing. If you really think about it, we are free to act as we wish whether or not you believe in God but there are also limiting factors that we don't have any control over. Our genetics can often dictate what we'll look like, how we may die, how long we may live, or even what sort of diseases may ail us during our lifetime. Those are all things we don't have free will over and that stands true whether or not you believe in God. Yet, in the primal aspect of "free will" as having the freedom to do something than I would say without a doubt that you have free will to do whatever you like (within the confines of reason and physical laws - after all you're not going to just start flying like Superman).

Quote:
God is supposedly the "unmoved mover", breaking through the barriers of the causal chain and injecting free will into the universe and into our souls. And I know at certain points in my life when I doubted whether I was in control of my own destiny, I would reflect on this and try to believe that I AM in control, and not just a biological robot.
Well, wait a second here. I think there are two ways to look at this. If there is a God up there who has made a specific set of bylaws and perniciously set forth a bunch of rules that you must govern yourself by lest you be tossed into a fiery pit of eternal hell and damnation than how much free will do you really have? Certainly, if this is what you believe, you can go about your business, you can freely disregard the word of this deity, and that is your free will ability to do so. Yet, ultimately, doesn't that mean you will pay a heavy price? And so how free is that?

Yet, again, to go back to Sartre, I think what is interesting is that a lot of people genuflect their existentialist notions onto their God. In other words, people make up these crazy religious rules such as "no drinking, no dancing, no sex except in the missionary position, and no Harry Potter books" and I can't help but wonder if the very thing they define themselves by is also what they define their God as? It seems to me that it's all too fitting that people make up not only who they are but what their Gods are as well. Talk about free will!

Quote:
Is it possible for us to have control if there is no God?
I'm not sure what you mean by control? Are you asking whether or not I can live a life of happiness, peace, and mutual moral reciprocity with my fellow human beings? Why certainly! I do every single day of my life. I have a wonderful relationship with my wife (who is also a heathen Atheist), I get along rather well with my family and friends (who are mixed in their beliefs), and I'm no different than any other human being. Unless I'm unaware of something.

But, unless you're defining control as something different than I'm not sure how to answer the question.

Quote:
Anyway, hope you will accept my apology.
Accepted.

Quote:
I am still growing spiritually, it is true . But I guess we all are......I have recently felt like I have had a battle going on inside of me, with my logical mind trying to reason that things in this world do not add up to God existing, but my heart quietly reminding me he's there.
Well, whatever you find I wish you luck.

Quote:
Maybe that's the only way to truly discover for ourselves, to listen to our hearts instead of our minds so much.
Perhaps... But, be careful... Merely wanting something to be true does not necessarily make it true.

Old 10-29-2008, 06:02 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,455,190 times
Lightbulb Prove There is NO God

Quote:
Originally Posted by juj View Post
I dare you.
OK, here goes...

Ya know all those hundreds of gods you don't believe in like Osiris, Thor, and Zeus?

Yours is exactly the same.

Old 10-29-2008, 07:24 AM

1,385 posts, read 3,009,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizabeth7 View Post
Did they do a poll?
Yes and the only "scientist" who says evolution is not true is Kent Hovind.

Old 10-29-2008, 08:58 AM

2,332 posts, read 2,843,176 times
I think there is a problem of common knowledge here, as well as simply how we are, which is not common knowledge but a logical consideration for being with and about the known and unknown.

We've often proved God's existence by the requirement of His knowledge for everything that is or perhaps can be. So we it is simple to presume that this higher Knower was an inspriation of concern for the innocence of all Creation; that that evil really cannot exist on it's own in the full beauty of a universe we are only a small part of. But maybe the inspiration was a misguided state of allowing full responsibility of all Evil to the human beings on Earth, and the misfortune to the more assoteric problem of Guilt.

Evil and guilt still exist in all the forms of confusion over the knowledge of and about humanity.

Therefore, I prove God does not exist because I could just as well count on the better as the worse to clear up the chances involved for failing everything that I and Man know .

In other words who can count on the necessary Being to fix things when there is no necessary Good to make the better and worse of human responsibility really sensible.

Responsibility is not ethical; only love is.

Love is not responsible. Only evolution (?) is.

Old 10-29-2008, 09:38 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,592,066 times
Default Prove There is NO God

Quote:
Originally Posted by juj View Post
I dare you.

If any god existed, there would be no need for faith. It would be obvious to one and all. There wouldn't be dozens of competing, contradictory creation myths all masquerading as "the truth" and offering seriously retarded views of nature and our place in it.

Old 10-29-2008, 09:48 AM

272 posts, read 485,056 times
Quote:
I originally intended it as a joke but in retrospect I see it was not funny and was in poor taste.
Many start threads in the atheist section, and in my opinion, for no other reason than to start something. Then when it's closed, it's started up again. I'm personally ignoring these type of threads.

As far as the topic, it's impossible to prove there is or is not a god. It's just that simple, everything else is opinion, tradition, psychological or speculation.

Old 10-29-2008, 10:17 AM

609 posts, read 1,176,236 times
the point is its impossible to prove that god does or doesnt exist.

even atheism does mean "god doesnt exist". only the uneducated followers like teenage goths believe "god doesnt exists, its a fact, amde up by man to control the masses"

the point is atheism means "theres a good reason to question the existance of god"

Old 10-29-2008, 10:39 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,592,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leangk View Post
the point is its impossible to prove that god does or doesnt exist.
No, it isn't.

If there was a god, there'd be a lot more than stories than back up that position. There isn't. There are hudreds of god stories claiming hundreds of gods.

They're just stories.

Like Rumplestiltskin, but a lot longer and sterner. Meant to frighten, not to entertain.

Quote:
even atheism does mean "god doesnt exist". only the uneducated followers like teenage goths believe "god doesnt exists, its a fact, amde up by man to control the masses"

the point is atheism means "theres a good reason to question the existance of god"

We atheists simply don't buy the stories the believers tell us we have to. Or else, and all that.

Old 10-29-2008, 12:18 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,468,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
If any god existed, there would be no need for faith. It would be obvious to one and all. There wouldn't be dozens of competing, contradictory creation myths all masquerading as "the truth" and offering seriously retarded views of nature and our place in it.

The need for "faith" to believe in God is a relatively recent angle on this issue. Not too many human generations ago, it would have been completely commonplace to view everything in nature as "alive" and an object of wonder. It was "obvious" to people then that God(s) exists because they were so ignorant about the natural world. It's not so obvious to people today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality