Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2008, 05:27 PM

272 posts, read 485,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizabeth7 View Post
If I had never read a bible in my life, my reasoning would tell me that there exists a Supreme Being.
Where your parents atheists?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2008, 05:30 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,945,931 times
Quote:
You continually harp on the bible. If I had never read a bible in my life, my reasoning would tell me that there exists a Supreme Being. Every society on earth has always been conscious of something greater than themselves. Not backward people (there are not 'backward' societies) but the pyramid builders, the Aztecs, the Mayan ( brilliant mathematicians, all of them) and on and on. It is innate in the human psyche.

You are blinded by your bias for science. It is limited and always will be.
If I recall correctly, none of them could agree on what it was. They just didn't understand how the world works(we still don't) so they came up with the idea of god or gods to explain away in the same way that the uncaused cause is used today.

Since you bring it up, it seems to me that there are more polytheistic religions than monotheistic ones. If as you say, having a large group of people belief in something indicates it's true, then doesn't this mean that there are many gods as opposed to just one?

Old 10-30-2008, 05:35 PM

418 posts, read 709,226 times
Quote:
You continually harp on the bible. If I had never read a bible in my life, my reasoning would tell me that there exists a Supreme Being. Every society on earth has always been conscious of something greater than themselves. Not backward people (there are not 'backward' societies) but the pyramid builders, the Aztecs, the Mayan ( brilliant mathematicians, all of them) and on and on. It is innate in the human psyche.

You are blinded by your bias for science. It is limited and always will be.
Yes, many old societies gravitated to gods to help them understand the world around them when science was in its infant stages. Fast forward to modern times and many things unknown are now explained by sciences. These answers have always been here, we just needed the technology to determine what they were. The same holds true for most of the answers we seek now.

It's amusing to me that you think your religion, of the multitude of religions, is the correct one, just because science has not determined the answer to the question you have at this time. Can you not live in a world that doesn't have the answer to your questions yet? Most societies are stepping stones to others in the lineage of scientific advancement. If you religion provides you emotional comfort, so be it. For us critical thinkers, we need a bit more.

Old 10-30-2008, 05:46 PM

307 posts, read 480,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by technobarbie View Post
Most atheist know more about god than christians do. Many christians even admit this.

So how many christians have stuided the history of their own bible? How many christians have studied the history of the christian church? How many christians have studied the religion(s) that preceded christianity? How many christians have studied the early church "philosophers"? Many christians can't even name one. How many christians have studied one of the religions of Greece/Rome, Egypt, Bablylonia, Summerian, Zorastrianism? Considering that many christians admit to having never read their entire bible, perhaps it could be their lack of knowledge of god that keeps them in "bondage".
With respect, all this has nothing to do with what I was saying. I am not a philosopher, or a scholar. You may be, I don't know. I find the history of the Sumerians particularly interesting. I could fill a few shelves with books on Egypt. Absolutely fascinating. Ditto the Mayans and Aztecs.

Faith in God is a separate matter. It is above and beyond these temporal things. The more I learn from science and biology, the way our bodies work, the more I learn from astronomy, just reinforces my conviction of a Creator.
No, I was born and raised a Roman Catholic. I ceased practising many years ago. My two brothers are lapsed and verging on athiesm and my sister is a Jehovah's Witness. I will always be thankful for my beloved parents and the upbringing they gave me.

Old 10-30-2008, 05:56 PM

272 posts, read 485,353 times
Quote:
Faith in God is a separate matter. It is above and beyond these temporal things. The more I learn from science and biology, the way our bodies work, the more I learn from astronomy, just reinforces my conviction of a Creator.
No, I was born and raised a Roman Catholic. I ceased practising many years ago. My two brothers are lapsed and verging on athiesm and my sister is a Jehovah's Witness. I will always be thankful for my beloved parents and the upbringing they gave me.
Yeah I know that aspect. I didn't bring it up, because despite my twenty five years in the church I was told I was a false witness in another thread. The fact that I assisted in teaching Sunday school and was a leader prayer groups was irrelevant. My main point was that atheist do know about god. I also know the argument "yeah but so does the devil". I know where you are coming from though.

Old 10-30-2008, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJLethal View Post
Yes, many old societies gravitated to gods to help them understand the world around them when science was in its infant stages. Fast forward to modern times and many things unknown are now explained by sciences. These answers have always been here, we just needed the technology to determine what they were. The same holds true for most of the answers we seek now.

It's amusing to me that you think your religion, of the multitude of religions, is the correct one, just because science has not determined the answer to the question you have at this time. Can you not live in a world that doesn't have the answer to your questions yet? Most societies are stepping stones to others in the lineage of scientific advancement. If you religion provides you emotional comfort, so be it. For us critical thinkers, we need a bit more.
Excuse me if I skim over the usual 'we are so much more enlightened than our forebears' slant.

I can comfortably bear living on this beautiful earth and not knowing all the answers. It seems that you think you have them all, not me.

Of course God provides me with emotional support. And I am a very critical thinker. That's why I am here differing with you.

Old 10-30-2008, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by technobarbie View Post
Yeah I know that aspect. I didn't bring it up, because despite my twenty five years in the church I was told I was a false witness in another thread. The fact that I assisted in teaching Sunday school and was a leader prayer groups was irrelevant. My main point was that atheist do know about god. I also know the argument "yeah but so does the devil". I know where you are coming from though.
It is not for us to judge anyone. I am more than aware of my shortcomings and God is, too. I only state my beliefs on this board and would not dare (or have the inclination) to condemn anyone else.

Old 10-30-2008, 06:24 PM

418 posts, read 709,226 times
Quote:
Excuse me if I skim over the usual 'we are so much more enlightened than our forebears' slant.

I can comfortably bear living on this beautiful earth and not knowing all the answers. It seems that you think you have them all, not me.

Of course God provides me with emotional support. And I am a very critical thinker. That's why I am here differing with you.
It is a fact that we know more than our ancestors. This is not their fault, as our descendants will know more than we do. That's the exciting thing about progress. To not acknowledge this is false humility that benefits no one.

I have clearly said we do not have all the answers. In time, we will know a lot more than we do know, thanks to scientific discovery. Another exciting fact.

Because we cannot explain what came before the Big Bang does not by default validate Christianity to truth. In time, we will most likely know scientifically what was before the Big Bang. Putting stock in a book of fables until that time serves no point but emotional comfort for those who need answers now. And if I were inclined to do so, perhaps I'd choose Greek or Norse myths because Thor and Prometheus are such exciting figures. Besides, Prometheus sacrificed so much more than Jesus for mankind in literature. Jesus died once, while Prometheus was chained to a rock and had his liver torn out by an Eagle day after day after day.

Old 10-30-2008, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJLethal View Post
It is a fact that we know more than our ancestors. This is not their fault, as our descendants will know more than we do. That's the exciting thing about progress. To not acknowledge this is false humility that benefits no one.

I have clearly said we do not have all the answers. In time, we will know a lot more than we do know, thanks to scientific discovery. Another exciting fact.

Because we cannot explain what came before the Big Bang does not by default validate Christianity to truth. In time, we will most likely know scientifically what was before the Big Bang. Putting stock in a book of fables until that time serves no point but emotional comfort for those who need answers now. And if I were inclined to do so, perhaps I'd choose Greek or Norse myths because Thor and Prometheus are such exciting

figures. Besides, Prometheus sacrificed so much more than Jesus for mankind in literature. Jesus died once, while Prometheus was chained to a rock and had his liver torn out by an Eagle day after day after day.
I am, strangely, underwhelmed by your knowledge of Greek? folklore.

No, you cannot explain the 'big bang'. No-one can. And until you, John, or anyone else can throw light on how matter came from nowhere, and from where came that spark of life that gave birth to 'chaos' and how that chaos, left unattended, produced our orderly and beautiful universe, (when the scientific fact is that chaos left alone deteriorates) and all the incredible and complex variety of life therein, I will have not one shred of doubt that God is the life-giver, Master Artist, and Creator of all we survey. And an awful lot that we don't.

Old 10-30-2008, 06:49 PM

I'm going to bed, now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality