Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2021, 01:55 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo1234 View Post
You say you may not know what the top of the stack actually is, and that you have zero data on that, so how can you "clearly" know that we are not "the top of the stack", due to the fact that you admitted you may not know what the top of the stack actually is?

I also see you have not offered an actual definition of the term "reality stack", other than calling it a Hierarchy of structure.

Please offer a definitive and accurate definition of "Hierarchy of structure".

oh my no god ... you don't even know what hierarchy of structure means. But I am the one not answering questions ... wow. holy no ba jesus.

But in good faith ...

Definition of structural hierarchy. Definition of structural hierarchy: Nature often creates complex structures through a hierarchy of structural features. ... A structural level is easy to define as a discrete and identifiable substructural component with an identifiable size-scale.

wow, I am surprised when people stand up with such confidence, and they know they get it, and don't even know the basics.

The proof that we are not the "top" is just go out side and look around. You are part, a node of complexity, in a system that is totally interacting with everything around you. We aint even the top of the food chain.

My wife is.

Last edited by Arach Angle; 07-11-2021 at 02:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2021, 01:57 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,651,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Water View Post
News articles appear almost daily about how church affiliation and participation is dwindling, and you post more of your Bravo Sierro.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
It is the Church Of Cuz-I-Said-So.
Nope, not cuz "I-said-so"...that is just more lies by you (which is your standard). And anyone reading the article can see that.
It is "NPR-reporting-on-Pew-Research-Said-So".
If you have something to contest the evidence I posted that this world is becoming MORE Theist/Religious...put it up.

Old 07-11-2021, 02:03 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,651,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
why do you guys say I don't answer when I did. I said I use reality stack instead of hierarchy of structure in the universe. Do you not know what hierarchy of structure means?

How do I know we are the top? Go out side look around. I don't know about you, but when I can see it, it kinds of adds some credibility.

You part of a system. You are really a node of complexity is a system that is functioning more like a unit than isolated pieces. That and we are less than 10% of what we see around us. Heck, lets go big. you experience less than 25% of the reality around us.

Can you show me where that observation would lead you to think we are the top?
We are so low in the order...if humans didn't exist (and they ARE very new to the system) at all, the system (God) would function just fine...probably "smoother" in some ways at the micro level.

Old 07-11-2021, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
We are so low in the order...if humans didn't exist (and they ARE very new to the system) at all, the system (God) would function just fine...probably "smoother" in some ways at the micro level.
lol, I edited the post ... I am trying to be less confrontational then they are. That way they we don't get blamed for being rude ...lol.

Old 07-11-2021, 02:19 PM

1,402 posts, read 477,468 times
Quote:
why do you guys say I don't answer when I did. I said I use reality stack instead of hierarchy of structure in the universe. Do you not know what hierarchy of structure means?
I can't speak for Jumbo, but since I was one of those guys who asked for help understanding "reality stack"... I never said you didn't answer. But you did define that term by providing another term with which I was equally unfamiliar. Perhaps I led a sheltered life, but I've also never heard "Hierarchy of Structure." (To quote from Animal House... "Seven years of college down the drain!?")

Arach, it is part of your charm that you tend to communicate with phrases and snippets that encompass a lot of meaning for you (i.e., they "say it all"), but don't necessarily inform the rest of us in same way, if we aren't already inside your head. Let's call it "Arach Shorthand." I, for one, appreciate your patience in explaining and providing a bit more context, so we can better understand from whence you cometh.

[ETA: I see you provided more definition above while I was typing. The point still stands... none of us can assume that everyone else is on our particular wavelength, with every turn of phrase.]

Old 07-11-2021, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeelaMonster View Post
I can't speak for Jumbo, but since I was one of those guys who asked for help understanding "reality stack"... I never said you didn't answer. But you did define that term by providing another term with which I was equally unfamiliar. Perhaps I led a sheltered life, but I've also never heard "hierarchy of structure." (To quote from Animal House... "Seven years of college down the drain!?")

Arach, it is part of your charm that you tend to communicate with phrases and snippets that encompass a lot of meaning for you (i.e., they "say it all"), but don't necessarily inform the rest of us in same way, if we aren't already inside your head. Let's call it "Arach Shorthand." I, for one, appreciate your patience in explaining and providing a bit more context, so we can better understand from whence you cometh.
You never have been aggressive with me. You have ask me questions that I know you want hear about. My response was not for you. I use a shot gun and blast some of the wrong people sometime. That's a my bad. When I ask a question, like you do, I assume I don't know what I am talking about. That's how I word the question. Especially when I clearly don't.

We are part of the hierarchy of structure (defined above or simple google search) that is the biosphere. We are the not top in even this reality stack. I believe, because it does look like life, that is what spiritual people are feeling connected to. Like people feel connect to dogs, food, gardens, and all sorts of stuff.

Its not delusional, lies, needy, 100% false, its made up, nor is it the root of all evil.

Now alive has some implications. That is where we start getting into speculation and I kind of stay away from those. I am more of a doubting Tomas. If I can point to it, it adds creditability to me. If I can't I say maybe or probably not. and thats it.

That's just the basics. When we go deeper, it becomes clear what we are only the universe self organizing itself in this location. It is self organizing much like like a person self organizes in a womb. A higher set of structures are organizing it. I mean look out your window and up at the night sky. Claiming we are anywhere near the top relaity, I mean who would even defend that? even though I don't know where the universe stops?

Thats what it looks like to me. It aint no deity.

I see no reason not to talk about belief from that point instead of starting with "there is no god or gods of any types" and having to answer to that statement of belief. I feel thats what theist do.

Old 07-11-2021, 03:02 PM

2,400 posts, read 783,025 times
Quote:
Nope, not cuz "I-said-so"...that is just more lies by you (which is your standard). And anyone reading the article can see that.
It is "NPR-reporting-on-Pew-Research-Said-So".
If you have something to contest the evidence I posted that this world is becoming MORE Theist/Religious...put it up.
NPR is not credible. The shrinking in churchgoing and membership, appears in the news and talk radio weekly.

Old 07-11-2021, 03:05 PM

2,400 posts, read 783,025 times
Quote:
Doesn't speak very highly of your "god".

Your "god" is an even bigger farce that the christian one.

Old 07-11-2021, 03:16 PM

We are only looking at if he has some evidence.

most of us are only interested in who seems to be more reliable.

Gld: We are part of a larger more complex system that is responsible for us being here.

others: there is no proof of that.

I mean, This is really not all that complicated from this point.

Old 07-11-2021, 03:20 PM

1,402 posts, read 477,468 times
Quote:
You never have been aggressive with me. You have ask me questions that I know you want hear about. My response was not for you. I use a shot gun and blast some of the wrong people sometime. That's a my bad. When I ask a question, like you do, I assume I don't know what I am talking about. That's how I word the question. Especially when I clearly don't.

We are part of the hierarchy of structure (defined above or simple google search) that is the biosphere. We are the not top in even this reality stack. I believe, because it does look like life, that is what spiritual people are feeling connected to. Like people feel connect to dogs, food, gardens, and all sorts of stuff.

Its not delusional, lies, needy, 100% false, its made up, nor is it the root of all evil.

Now alive has some implications. That is where we start getting into speculation and I kind of stay away from those. I am more of a doubting Tomas. If I can point to it, it adds creditability to me. If I can't I say maybe or probably not. and thats it.

That's just the basics. When we go deeper, it becomes clear what we are only the universe self organizing itself in this location. It is self organizing much like like a person self organizes in a womb. A higher set of structures are organizing it. I mean look out your window and up at the night sky. Claiming we are anywhere near the top relaity, I mean who would even defend that? even though I don't know where the universe stops?

Thats what it looks like to me. It aint no deity.

I see no reason not to talk about belief from that point instead of starting with "there is no god or gods of any types" and having to answer to that statement of belief. I feel thats what theist do.
All good. Thanks for additional clarification. FWIW, you have good thoughts... sometimes they just get obscured by the AS (Arach Shorthand).

I have worked with some brilliant people over the course of 40 years at some of the best academic and scientific settings in the world. The kind of people who go on to win Nobel Prizes, including 3-4 who actually did. They were different in lots of ways, but the thing that always impressed me... the smartest ones knew what they didn't know, and weren't afraid to admit it.

And as expected, now that I better understand, I agree.... we have no reason to think we are at the top of whatever we find ourselves in (stack... structure... hierarchy... reality... biosphere... system... whatever). But also no reason to think there is a deity at the top. I'm not so sure there is... or needs to be... a "top??"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality