Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2022, 08:44 AM

22,182 posts, read 19,221,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Given so much I read in this forum, comments like this one here always tend to remind me of poor Galileo Galilei...

Just in case anyone doesn't know what I mean, poor Galileo tried to point out what was actually light in a sea of darkness, the truth, about how we are not at the center of our solar system. All those who thought we were at the center believed what they did because they thought they were seeing the light. Bright as the sun!

All those many people who claimed they saw light where actually not only in the dark, but they made poor Galileo pay dearly for trying to bring light where there was darkness. Trying to bring "illumination." Often that's what promoting the truth will get for you. Why? Because it's human nature to let our emotions get the better of us, and this too is a fact born out just about every day in this forum. A great reminder for all of us I think.
the sacred, the holy, Divinity
are not "emotions"

it is useful to recognize the difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2022, 08:58 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,720,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
the sacred, the holy, Divinity
are not "emotions"

it is useful to recognize the difference.
What causes you to feel this way is all emotion, but you don't seem to recognize the difference between your emotions and what your emotions cause you to conclude. Perhaps even more useful is to recognize the power of our emotions. Understand what our emotions really are...

e·mo·tion

noun

a natural instinctive state of mind deriving from one's circumstances, mood, or relationships with others.
"she was attempting to control her emotions"

instinctive or intuitive feeling as distinguished from reasoning or knowledge.

Emotions, feelings. We've all got 'em. What we make of them is a personal thing and of course we're all free to feel whatever we want to. The truth, our universal truth, regardless of our emotions is another matter entirely, although some folks don't seem to understand this for whatever their personal reasons, and/or emotions.

Old 04-30-2022, 09:02 AM

22,182 posts, read 19,221,727 times
Quote:
What causes you to feel this way is all emotion, but you don't seem to recognize the difference between your emotions and what your emotions cause you to conclude. Perhaps even more useful is to recognize the power of our emotions. Understand what our emotions really are...
e·mo·tion noun a natural instinctive state of mind deriving from one's circumstances, mood, or relationships with others. "she was attempting to control her emotions"instinct ive or intuitive feeling as distinguished from reasoning or knowledge.
that is not Divinity, the sacred, the holy
it is useful to recognize that. perhaps you are in the process of learning that. of learning to distinguish the difference. of learning to develop that discernment.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 04-30-2022 at 09:22 AM..

Old 04-30-2022, 09:28 AM

Quote:
that is not Divinity, the sacred, the holy
it is useful to recognize that. perhaps you are in the process of learning that. of learning to distinguish the difference. of learning to develop that discernment.
Do you feel any emotions that might have you posting these comments?

I feel a sense of futility, because I know you will always see things the way you do rather than the way I do...

Whatever you want to call these notions, emotions or the divine, I strongly suspect a significant difference between the manner in which you distinguish what you do from the manner in which I distinguish what I do. I could be wrong, but I also suspect this is due to your emotions that are different from mine when it comes to what is sacred to you versus what is sacred to me.

Here too, I really don't see much use in going around in this circle of how or why we see things differently. Clearly we do, and reconciling those differences is nothing we can accomplish by simply reiterating how we see things differently. Your personal truth, all personal truths, mine too, as compared to our universal truth. Whatever it may actually be...

Old 04-30-2022, 09:30 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,651,631 times
Quote:
Your reply was to this comment of mine...

"I used to find those "Funniest Home Videos" very amusing as well...

I can't draw the comparison of that amusement to the comments you keep bashing in this thread, but humor is a very subjective matter as well. Just like most of all the rest here. Just like all that deserves bashing far as anyone is concerned and all those reasons why."

The first of your replies and this one above also reads as if you want to continue bashing away no matter what anyone posts. If all the bashing you go on about is "kinda removed" from you, it's very hard to tell from all your comments about bashing one thing or another.
I bash, bashing...get it straight.
I initiate nothing...I respond.
I have never started a thread...not a single one.
Don't put forth insults and derision toward others over their sincere, heartfelt Religious and/or Spiritual Beliefs and Faith...and I would have nothing to call out.
A forum for Religion & Spirituality that is mostly a Religion & Spirituality bashing board. Who knew?!
The people running the site may have been cool with differing views...but I do not think they intended it to be majority insult and mocking of the title subject, and those who embrace it.
Ripping and ragging on anything whatsoever that has to do with God, Spiritual Belief, or connection to The Divine, and those that tell of these things.
It is so heavy...I find it amusing. The same way I find a horror movie with over-the-top stuff going on to be entertaining.
History has shown that people taking a very negative view of the Spiritual/Religious Beliefs of others, can fester and get out of control...and it ends up terrible.

Old 04-30-2022, 09:37 AM

15,862 posts, read 6,325,302 times
The abyss has a way of staring back.

Old 04-30-2022, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
I bash, bashing...get it straight.
I initiate nothing...I respond.
I have never started a thread...not a single one.
Don't put forth insults and derision toward others over their sincere, heartfelt Religious and/or Spiritual Beliefs and Faith...and I would have nothing to call out.
A forum for Religion & Spirituality that is mostly a Religion & Spirituality bashing board. Who knew?!
The people running the site may have been cool with differing views...but I do not think they intended it to be majority insult and mocking of the title subject, and those who embrace it.
Ripping and ragging on anything whatsoever that has to do with God, Spiritual Belief, or connection to The Divine, and those that tell of these things.
It is so heavy...I find it amusing. The same way I find a horror movie with over-the-top stuff going on to be entertaining.
History has shown that people taking a very negative view of the Spiritual/Religious Beliefs of others, can fester and get out of control...and it ends up terrible.
I've got to sign off now with the same sense of futility, because all you go on about never seems to include any of the insights I've tried to share with you.

For example, I'm not sure at this point of us regulars participating in this forum for a long time now, whether it matters who started what. You say you bash bashing. That you initiate nothing, but I read all the comments in this forum as either the continuation of a "discussion" or the beginning of one. You express a ton of heartburn about what you consider worthy of bashing. From where I'm sitting, it all reads like bashing to me one way or another. Regardless who started what or when.

You describe all you do in rather insulting terms, and no doubt there is plenty of that sort of thing that anyone might complain about, but why so much about all that rather than the topic of the thread? Forever the "discussion" that SHOULD be more mature, reasonable and about the topic of the thread deteriorates into these personal diatribes and criticisms about what others post at a very personal level.

If you don't see yourself as part of that problem rather than the solution, then I suppose this sense of futility will continue along with all the other childish back-and-forth that permeates throughout this forum simply because we've got different ways of thinking and feeling what are the truths of these matters.

Then we wonder why the world is in the state it's in...

Old 04-30-2022, 10:33 AM

16,779 posts, read 4,982,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Hey, look!
The moths ^^^ are attracted to the flame again.
Watch out that you don't further singe your wings.
Yet you responded to our posts while Tzap got burnt.

ZZZSSSSTTTT!

Old 04-30-2022, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
This metaphor of a moth attracted to the flame is a beautiful one. It is about the spirit’s yearning for the union with divinity in which it casts away the body, the unreal, and merge with the self-illumined, the real.
Let them come. May be illumination is yet to be.
Except the moth is not yearning, it's death is unfortunate, unnatural and does not follow the Dao.

Old 04-30-2022, 10:47 AM

Quote:
light dispels darkness in the sense that the darkness is transformed into light and becomes light.
it's called Illumination for a reason.
Like this metaphor?

https://youtu.be/L7_2j-XPR_k?t=97
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality