Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2021, 11:11 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,729,968 times

Advertisements

Nice layout of when "push comes to shove."

It's when they get in the way of a woman's right to choose for me too...

I hear you, and I've got to sign off now so perhaps enough said for me at this point. Maybe one thing we can credit pantheism for is no real imposition on others as a rule. I don't know much about pantheism that suggests anything that is quite as imposing on others like other religions that are against birth control, respecting gay people with equal rights and many of those other "issues" that cause people like us to counter what we clearly see as religious wrong-thinking that unduly affects others quite unfairly.

Right. As if this forum doesn't pose "more of a dilemma" generally speaking. Enough said for me anyway...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2021, 11:14 AM

50,840 posts, read 24,359,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
That or there is always that option to ignore the nonsense coming from all directions. I try to do that as best I can, but sometimes the nonsense does get the better of us. Especially when it tends to dominate the thread. I try to point that out every now and then as well...

We can all simply step over the turds (sorry again for that fecal matter reference) and think back to the topic of the thread.
We've had a lot from the sadsack trio "proving" that god exists by definition, and the word turd is in the dictionary, so I guess based on their standards of discourse, it's fair game. Although, not to my taste.

Old 07-15-2021, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
You remind me of a traffic cop I once watched trying to direct traffic in the middle of a massive multi-directional intersection in Bangkok...
I can envision that!

Old 07-15-2021, 11:25 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,656,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Water View Post
Nobody has been vulgar with you. Actually, you get far more respect that you deserve, truth be told.

I'd say the same thing if you were advocating Scientology or Voo Doo or Wicca.

Your religion IS nonsense, even more so that other religions. It isn't theological. It isn't logical in any sense or meaning of the word. Rubbish, pure and simple.
Nobody has been vulgar with me?
You have been SO over-the-top vulgar with me...you even referred to me as a disgusting sexual fetish!
https://www.city-data.com/forum/60689348-post890.html
Is a "Golden Shower" a vulgar thing Salty? Huh?
Actually...your disgusting vulgarity knows no bounds...and I just proved it. And proved that you are a liar...truth be told.
If you do not know that saying to someone about their Theological Beliefs, "Your religion IS nonsense, even more so than other religions. It isn't theological. It isn't logical in any sense or meaning of the word. Rubbish, pure and simple."...is disrespectful and nasty, you are not even aware of what it is to be indecorous and loutish.
Matter of fact...it is so rude...if talked like that to people in certain parts of this world, you'd be putting your physical wellbeing, or even your life, at risk.

Old 07-15-2021, 11:38 AM

10,535 posts, read 6,171,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
That's an interesting point. And I guess my question would be -- if everything is god, then that means that everything bad and evil is god. Seems like an odd thing to worship.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter600 View Post
Very good point. If everything is God, all the good and bad is God.

Also, as another poster commented, if everything is God, then God would have had to create itself. Which is logically problematic (though I'm open to suggestions to resolve this logical conundrum).

The explicit problem with God creating itself is:

If X created Y, then X must have preceded Y. But if X and Y are the same thing, X could not have preceded Y, hence X could not have created Y.
That's always my argument when the 'god is good' argument of Christianity is presented.

However 'most' pantheists believe in a non-interventionist god, which is not the same as the Christian god. They believe in a god that created everything and IS everything, but doesn't intervene in the day to day events so to speak.
What's the point in an non interventionist god you might ask? I have no idea but as I've said before as beliefs go, it's not a bad one. It's not that dissimilar to believing in no god and believing everything just came about as a result of physics as I do.

I say 'most pantheists'.
What people actually believe seems to be as varied as stars in the sky.

Some pantheists believe in a god that encompasses both pantheism AND a Christian god. I believe Mystic and Gldn are two such people. If you ask them nicely and politely they might explain it to you. I haven't got to the bottom of how they square this but if I hang around for long enough maybe I will understand. They are both amenable as long as you don't take the Mickey out of their beliefs.

There's also panentheism which from what I understand posits that while god is everything, it is also more powerful than just being a god, it also intervenes (I think). I'm not quite clear on this either.

I think I have pantheism nailed so far. The rest of it I'm unclear on.

Old 07-15-2021, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
You have been SO over-the-top vulgar with me...you even referred to me as a disgusting sexual fetish!
Actually...your disgusting vulgarity knows no bounds...and I just proved it. And proved that you are a liar...truth be told.
If you do not know that saying to someone about their Theological Beliefs, "Your religion IS nonsense, even more so than other religions. It isn't theological. It isn't logical in any sense or meaning of the word. Rubbish, pure and simple."...is disrespectful and nasty, you are not even aware of what it is to be indecorous and loutish.
Matter of fact...it is so rude...if talked like that to people in certain parts of this world, you'd be putting your physical wellbeing, or even your life, at risk.
It's very fulfilling being a martyr, isn't it?

Old 07-15-2021, 11:49 AM

2,400 posts, read 783,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Golden Shower - really!!! Is that what you call "knows no bounds"? What a joke you are. Slightly off-color, but no more.

What you don't understand, bubba, is that this is the US, and just as you are allowed to believe your rubbish, we are free to mock it. Period. And I will continue to do so whether you like it, lump it or otherwise.

You proved a lot, all about you.

Old 07-15-2021, 12:04 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,587,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
It's very fulfilling being a martyr, isn't it?
With your background this is your reply.

Old 07-15-2021, 12:08 PM

884 posts, read 357,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
That's always my argument when the 'god is good' argument of Christianity is presented.

However 'most' pantheists believe in a non-interventionist god, which is not the same as the Christian god. They believe in a god that created everything and IS everything, but doesn't intervene in the day to day events so to speak.
What's the point in an non interventionist god you might ask? I have no idea but as I've said before as beliefs go, it's not a bad one. It's not that dissimilar to believing in no god and believing everything just came about as a result of physics as I do.

I say 'most pantheists'.
What people actually believe seems to be as varied as stars in the sky.

Some pantheists believe in a god that encompasses both pantheism AND a Christian god. I believe Mystic and Gldn are two such people. If you ask them nicely and politely they might explain it to you. I haven't got to the bottom of how they square this but if I hang around for long enough maybe I will understand. They are both amenable as long as you don't take the Mickey out of their beliefs.

There's also panentheism which from what I understand posits that while god is everything, it is also more powerful than just being a god, it also intervenes (I think). I'm not quite clear on this either.

I think I have pantheism nailed so far. The rest of it I'm unclear on.
So two questions based on that post.

Let's accept the pantheism claim that God is everything. Let's also accept that God is non-interventionist. Now let's explore that. God is everything, evil is one of the things that come under the term everything, hence God is part evil. So even if the pantheist God is non-interventionist, they are still part evil. So do pantheist accept that their god is part evil?

Secondly God can't be everything and also be the creator of everything. That as far as I can see is faulty logic, and I presented the logic problem with it in the post you replied to. I'm open to explore other logic here though.

Not necessarily questions to you, but rather questions about pantheism.

Old 07-15-2021, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Water View Post
Golden Shower - really!!! Is that what you call "knows no bounds"? What a joke you are. Slightly off-color, but no more.

What you don't understand, bubba, is that this is the US, and just as you are allowed to believe your rubbish, we are free to mock it. Period. And I will continue to do so whether you like it, lump it or otherwise.

You proved a lot, all about you.
It's inappropriate in this setting, Salty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality