Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2020, 12:52 PM

11,123 posts, read 6,394,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
Yep and nothing changes in doing that. You either don't understand what I posted or your inferred something that's not there. The only thing I left out was a question mark. Since you claimed the authors stated 530 Ma I questioned it without inserting a question mark but I thought the remaining sentence I wrote would make that clear to you that I was questioning your claims.

These authors claim it spanned over 530 million years?????? I would have to either read the book or confirm with the authors themselves to find out what they actually said.

Do the question marks make it easier for you to understand I was questioning your claims? The second sentence clearly shows I was.
Nice try but your full quote shows something else. If you where asking a question you would not have started out with "you poor thing" "You simply don't understand what Ma means in years."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
You poor thing. You simply don't understand what Ma means in years.

530 Ma = 530 Million years. Yep, that's plenty of time for all major animal phyla to start appearing in the fossil record.

These authors claim it spanned over 530 million years. I would have to either read the book or confirm with the authors themselves to find out what they actually said.

Old 10-05-2020, 12:55 PM

50,874 posts, read 24,384,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
You mean this Doug Erwin?
Doug Erwin is currently Senior Scientist and Curator of Paleobiology at the National Museum of Natural History of the Smithsonian Institution in Washington D. C, and has been since 1990. He has also been a Senior Scientist since 2004. His primary research interests are in evolutionary novelty and innovation across biological, cultural and technological domains; the evolution of animal regulatory genomes; the origin and early evolution of animals; and the end-Permian mass extinction. [Bolding mine]

https://www.santafe.edu/people/profile/douglas-h-erwin
Erwin believes in evolution. Here is a review of his book ''The Cambrian Exolosion: the Constuction of Animal Biodiversity.
In The Cambrian Explosion, two paleontologists, Douglas Erwin and his former dissertation advisor James Valentine, document the explosion of diversity in the Cambrian, and the events leading up to it, in lavishly illustrated detail. This story begins with the origin about two billion years ago — by an Archaean incorporating bacterial symbionts capable of aerobic respiration — of eukaryotes. Transforming bacterial symbionts into the microscopic power plants we call mitochondria made possible the evolution of large multicellular organisms with division of labor among their cells (Lane and Martin [2010]). After outlining the plan of their book, they explain how one infers an evolutionary narrative from the geological record — how one tells the relative, and the absolute, ages of widely separated fossil deposits. They end the book's first section by discussing the environmental events (including two episodes when nearly all the earth froze!) associated with the gradual oxygenation of first the atmosphere, then the ocean, that set the stage for the explosive diversification of fossilizable life.

https://evolution-outreach.biomedcen...052-014-0022-3
It seems that Erwin does not agree with you and that you are misusing his work to defend your argument.
Does this surprise you?

Old 10-05-2020, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
I thought you knew something about this stuff, your really looking bad here Matadora. they are not saying the Cambrian explosion was 530MA (and yes I know it mean million of years) they are saying the Cambrian explosion took place between 530 to 520 Ma. that is a span of 10Ma.
A couple of hours ago I asked you what your background in this area was. Why aren't you answering?

Old 10-05-2020, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Does this surprise you?
Nice

Old 10-05-2020, 01:00 PM

Quote:
A couple of hours ago I asked you what your background in this area was. Why aren't you answering?
because it is not worth answering.

Old 10-05-2020, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Nice
In my far distant past I taught earth science for 13 years. And that included "earth history". I heard lots of people say they were against evolution based on their religious beliefs, and when I asked them to explain evolution...not a one could. It's relevant.

Old 10-05-2020, 01:01 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,266,278 times
Quote:
Does this surprise you?
Not me!

Old 10-05-2020, 01:06 PM

2,962 posts, read 865,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
The information on those sites are short on facts and long on speculation. That includes creation.org, intelligentdesign.org, the Institute for Creation Research icr.org, and others. Along with Ken Ham's ridiculous Ark Encounter and Answers In Genesis (and others), these are all simply attempts to disguise religion as science so it can be used as a way to force schools to teach religion to kids.

Fossils are real. Some of them are impressions of life forms that no longer exist. Some of them are from life forms related to species that currently live. Those provide some evidence for evolution.
You’re a very opinionated mod, on the topic of religion, but you keep your own perspective on reality a secret. Your worldview, in your profile, is “never revealed.” That seems very convenient for critiquing others beliefs while never having to defend your own. It doesn’t seem fair for a mod to interject his criticism of religious beliefs on a religion forum, especially when you keep your own beliefs so hidden. Unfair playing field.

Old 10-05-2020, 01:08 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,266,278 times
Quote:
Nice try but your full quote shows something else. If you where asking a question you would not have started out with "you poor thing" "You simply don't understand what Ma means in years."
Yes and I still say you poor thing that you did not know what Ma meant. LOL

You were trying to dismiss me correcting you once again by mentioning that the Cambrian Explosion took place over 13-25 million years which is indeed enough time for all major animal phyla to start appearing in the fossil record.

You come back with these silly comments: "And your wrong on the dates, Erwin and Valentine give the brief geological time as 530 to 520 Ma. "You have to stretch the time l line and even then that is not enough time."

You think 530 million years, or 520 million years or even 10 million years is evidence against the fact that the Cambrian Explosion occurred over a span of 13-25 million years?

The only conclusion one can draw from your silly comments is that you don't know what Ma stands for!

You should try bettering following your own posts.

Old 10-05-2020, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwasmadenew View Post
You’re a very opinionated mod, on the topic of religion, but you keep your own perspective on reality a secret. Your worldview, in your profile, is “never revealed.” That seems very convenient for critiquing others beliefs while never having to defend your own. It doesn’t seem fair for a mod to interject his criticism of religious beliefs on a religion forum, especially when you keep your own beliefs so hidden. Unfair playing field.
It's not your forum to run.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.