Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2020, 01:29 PM

51,004 posts, read 24,497,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
You totally missed my point and did not answer a simple question.
I said what I wanted to say.

Old 10-05-2020, 01:29 PM

33,342 posts, read 26,558,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
I think it's a bit of both.

Does not understand and thus mistakenly thinks it supports his agenda of promoting ID.
You could be right.

Old 10-05-2020, 01:47 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,245,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwasmadenew View Post
You’re a very opinionated mod, on the topic of religion, but you keep your own perspective on reality a secret. Your worldview, in your profile, is “never revealed.” That seems very convenient for critiquing others beliefs while never having to defend your own. It doesn’t seem fair for a mod to interject his criticism of religious beliefs on a religion forum, especially when you keep your own beliefs so hidden. Unfair playing field.

Old 10-05-2020, 01:47 PM

11,123 posts, read 6,406,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
I am a Christian. I used to post as Mike555.

No, there is not a problem with the Cambrian explosion, by which you meant 'does the Cambrian explosion pose a problem for evolution.' Only for overly literalistic young earth creationists who think that Genesis 1-3 has to be taken literally and historically.
Quote:
Then why are you using them to defend Intelligent Design?
Because design is a better hypothesis then any of the others. Just look at the digital like feature in dna, we either have design showing there or evolution. I find design to be more logical.

I take it you are a theistic evolutionist.

Old 10-05-2020, 01:54 PM

51,004 posts, read 24,497,750 times
Quote:
Because design is a better hypothesis then any of the others. Just look at the digital like feature in dna, we either have design showing there or evolution. I find design to be more logical.

That's your opinion. You're entitled to your opinion. But it's still opinion.

As far as "the digital like feature in dna", and other things that you are talking about...I've asked twice now and you've refused to answer: what is your background in evolution, genetics, etc. I'm not sure why you're having so much of a problem answering about your own background in the topic(s) you're discussing.

Old 10-05-2020, 02:19 PM

33,342 posts, read 26,558,348 times
Quote:
I am not saying they are explaining evolution away Michael in that way, I am saying while they were explaining how evolution works they still came to the conclusion that from micro to macro there is a discontinuity.
Quote:
Then why are you using them to defend Intelligent Design?
Quote:
But they weren't promoting ID in their book. They were promoting evolution.

As for them saying there is a discontinuity between 'micro' to 'macro,' I don't know what the context was in which they said that, so I don't know what they meant by it. Perhaps you could quote in greater detail what they meant by that.

Quote:
Yes.

Old 10-05-2020, 03:15 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,279,894 times
Quote:
Lol, keep trying some will likely believe you. I showed you your error plain as day and instead of saying oops my bad you compound your error with this nonsense.
Well lookie here! I reached out to Doug Erwin, one of the two authors of the book you tired to make your bogus claim from. Here is our discussion.
Good Morning Dr. Erwin,

I wanted to reach out and ask if the Cambrian Explosion occurred over a 13-25 million year span? I have not read your book THE CAMBRIAN EXPLOSION: The Construction of Animal Biodiversity, however I wanted to ask you directly as I’m being told by an ID proponent that this book states otherwise.

If this is true then what is the span of time that the Cambrian Explosion occurred?

Thank you,

This was his response.
Dear Ms.....,

The answer to your question depends on how the Cambrian explosion is defined. A broad estimate might extend from the first Edacaran fossils at about 570 million years ago through the lower Cambrian at about 509 Ma. But that would encompass much more than the explosive burst of diversity documented in the fossil record, which would be from the late Ediacaran into the lower part of the Cambrian, so perhaps 10-15 million years. However, for various reasons this may overestimate the interval over which most of the evolutionary changes happened by several million years.

Doug Erwin

Let's see you try and back peddle out of this one.

Matadora knows how to check facts!

Old 10-05-2020, 03:55 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,623,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwasmadenew View Post
You’re a very opinionated mod, on the topic of religion, but you keep your own perspective on reality a secret. Your worldview, in your profile, is “never revealed.” That seems very convenient for critiquing others beliefs while never having to defend your own. It doesn’t seem fair for a mod to interject his criticism of religious beliefs on a religion forum, especially when you keep your own beliefs so hidden. Unfair playing field.
Its fait that he interjects his opinion. that cool. setting up an unequal bias to some godfaith biased claims that lean toward one side might be an issue.

I think its clear this place is for scarred at the hands of religion to have a pillow to beat on. And it is a god faith base site. Its also a site to achieve a P-agenda of anti-religion in the united states.

Old 10-05-2020, 03:57 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,623,204 times
Quote:
But they weren't promoting ID in their book. They were promoting evolution.

As for them saying there is a discontinuity between 'micro' to 'macro,' I don't know what the context was in which they said that, so I don't know what they meant by it. Perhaps you could quote in greater detail what they meant by that.

Yes.
I would call an theist that says their god did it through evolution as an ID-er.

where am I wrong? to be honest, I don't look at ID.

Old 10-05-2020, 05:55 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,279,894 times
Intelligent design (ID) is a pseudoscientific argument for the existence of God, presented by its proponents as "an evidence-based scientific theory about life's origins"

Evolution is the changes in the gene pool from one generation to the next as a consequence of processes such as mutation, natural selection, nonrandom mating, and genetic drift.

The Theory of Evolution is not concerned with the origins of life on earth.

It makes sense why someone would reject ID and accept Evolution.
Quote:
I am not saying they are explaining evolution away Michael in that way, I am saying while they were explaining how evolution works they still came to the conclusion that from micro to macro there is a discontinuity.
I find this hard to believe as no trained biological or genetics scientist uses the terms macro and micro evolution. I hate to bother Dr. Erwin again but I will reach out to him and ask him if he uses those terms in the book The Cambrian Explosion: The Construction of Animal Biodiversity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality