Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2020, 01:10 PM

33,230 posts, read 26,447,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
Yup same guy Michael and while they are explaining it away they said "the move from micro to macro forms a discontinuity". I could quote a few other parts but you would probably say the same thing, I am misusing their work. Get the book, check it out.
Quote from the book where they are saying that they are explaining AWAY evolution as in trying to discredit it. That's not what I got from the book review that I posted and from the profile on him - https://www.santafe.edu/people/profile/douglas-h-erwin

Furthermore, the introduction to they're book is available online and they are not explaining away evolution. They are saying that the Cambrian explosion is unresolved.

From the intro;
The subtitle of this book, The Construction of Animal Biodiversity, captures a second theme: the importance of building the networks that mediate the interactions. … Increased genetic and developmental interactions were also critical to the formation of new animal body plans. By the time a branch of advanced sponges gave rise to more complex animals, their genomes comprised genes whose products could interact with regulatory elements in a coordinated network. Network interactions were critical to the spatial and temporal patterning of gene expression, to the formation of new cell types, and to the generation of a hierarchical morphology of tissues and organs. The evolving lineages could begin to adapt to different regions within the rich mosaic of conditions they encountered across the environmental landscape, diverging and specializing to diversify into an array of body forms. (pp. 8-9, emphasis added)[bolding mine}

https://evolutionnews.org/2013/06/er...ian_explosion/
So you either are misunderstanding them or you are deliberately misusing their work to promote Intelligent Design which according to the site I just linked to, ''Erwin and Valentine are not proponents of intelligent design.''

Old 10-05-2020, 01:11 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,260,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwasmadenew View Post
You’re a very opinionated mod,...<snip>.
Opinion? Not at all when what was posted about those sites was based on facts...not opinion.

Old 10-05-2020, 01:12 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,260,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
So you either are misunderstanding them or you are deliberately misusing their work to promote Intelligent Design which according to the site I just linked to, ''Erwin and Valentine are not proponents of intelligent design.''
I think it's a bit of both.

Does not understand and thus mistakenly thinks it supports his agenda of promoting ID.

Old 10-05-2020, 01:15 PM

11,123 posts, read 6,388,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
In my far distant past I taught earth science for 13 years. And that included "earth history". I heard lots of people say they were against evolution based on their religious beliefs, and when I asked them to explain evolution...not a one could. It's relevant.
I am not against evolution per say phet, there are many things in evolution I agree with, however I find to many problems with evolution with common descent. However most here cannot get past the point that I am a Christian so that is always brought into any disagreement I have with the current understanding of evolution.

According to most here if I quote from an ID site I am told you can't believe anything on those sites and as was just seen when I quote from what most would say are well respected scientist I get blamed for misquoting or fudging the evidence to suite a Christian agenda.

So let me ask you this. Is there or is there not a problem with the Cambrian explosion?If there is what is wrong with me pointing out some of those problems?

Old 10-05-2020, 01:19 PM

50,822 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
I am not against evolution per say phet, there are many things in evolution I agree with, however I find to many problems with evolution with common descent. However most here cannot get past the point that I am a Christian so that is always brought into any disagreement I have with the current understanding of evolution.

According to most here if I quote from an ID site I am told you can't believe anything on those sites and as was just seen when I quote from what most would say are well respected scientist I get blamed for misquoting or fudging the evidence to suite a Christian agenda.

So let me ask you this. Is there or is there not a problem with the Cambrian explosion?If there is what is wrong with me pointing out some of those problems?
Let's see...you are posting as a christian on forum entitled "religion and spirituality". And you wonder why other posters see you as a christian posting on a forum about religion and spirituality??? Context is very meaningful.

There is a science part of this overall forum. Perhaps you should take your discussion there.

Old 10-05-2020, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
Yes and I still say you poor thing that you did not know what Ma meant. LOL

You were trying to dismiss me correcting you once again by mentioning that the Cambrian Explosion took place over 13-25 million years which is indeed enough time for all major animal phyla to start appearing in the fossil record.

You come back with these silly comments: "And your wrong on the dates, Erwin and Valentine give the brief geological time as 530 to 520 Ma. "You have to stretch the time l line and even then that is not enough time."

You think 530 million years, or 520 million years or even 10 million years is evidence against the fact that the Cambrian Explosion occurred over a span of 13-25 million years?

The only conclusion one can draw from your silly comments is that you don't know what Ma stands for!

You should try bettering following your own posts.
Lol, keep trying some will likely believe you. I showed you your error plain as day and instead of saying oops my bad you compound your error with this nonsense.

Old 10-05-2020, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
Quote from the book where they are saying that they are explaining AWAY evolution as in trying to discredit it. That's not what I got from the book review that I posted and from the profile on him - https://www.santafe.edu/people/profile/douglas-h-erwin

Furthermore, the introduction to they're book is available online and they are not explaining away evolution. They are saying that the Cambrian explosion is unresolved.

From the intro;
The subtitle of this book, The Construction of Animal Biodiversity, captures a second theme: the importance of building the networks that mediate the interactions. … Increased genetic and developmental interactions were also critical to the formation of new animal body plans. By the time a branch of advanced sponges gave rise to more complex animals, their genomes comprised genes whose products could interact with regulatory elements in a coordinated network. Network interactions were critical to the spatial and temporal patterning of gene expression, to the formation of new cell types, and to the generation of a hierarchical morphology of tissues and organs. The evolving lineages could begin to adapt to different regions within the rich mosaic of conditions they encountered across the environmental landscape, diverging and specializing to diversify into an array of body forms. (pp. 8-9, emphasis added)[bolding mine}

https://evolutionnews.org/2013/06/er...ian_explosion/
I am not saying they are explaining evolution away Michael in that way, I am saying while they were explaining how evolution works they still came to the conclusion that from micro to macro there is a discontinuity.

Old 10-05-2020, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Let's see...you are posting as a christian on forum entitled "religion and spirituality". And you wonder why other posters see you as a christian posting on a forum about religion and spirituality??? Context is very meaningful.

There is a science part of this overall forum. Perhaps you should take your discussion there.
You totally missed my point and did not answer a simple question.

Old 10-05-2020, 01:27 PM

Quote:

I am a Christian. I used to post as Mike555.

No, there is not a problem with the Cambrian explosion, by which you meant 'does the Cambrian explosion pose a problem for evolution.' Only for overly literalistic young earth creationists who think that Genesis 1-3 has to be taken literally and historically.

Old 10-05-2020, 01:28 PM

Quote:
I am not saying they are explaining evolution away Michael in that way, I am saying while they were explaining how evolution works they still came to the conclusion that from micro to macro there is a discontinuity.
Then why are you using them to defend Intelligent Design?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.