Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2021, 11:23 AM

63,813 posts, read 40,087,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
If you sincerely read my posts and tried to take on board what they actually say, you would have noticed that I TEND to attribute such things in the spiritual fossil record to the influence of God's consciousness on our human consciousness (or to use religious jargon, divine inspiration). I do tend to require them to make sense and be consistent with what I perceive as the character (or Holy Spirit) of God.
Quote:
Why do you think it is a black or white, yes or no, issue? Why edicts? Why are influence and inspiration interpreted by humans insufficient? The bold in your post is how we go from yes or no to edicts. The inspirations have been interpreted by humans to be commandments, LearnMe. What is difficult to understand about that? What answer do I not want to give?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I suppose I'll indulge you, but it is hard for me to believe you can be serious...

Some believe these commandments are edicts from God. My question as to whether you believe these commandments are from God is not an edict. It is a simple question, and it is simply whether you believe these commandments (edicts, directives, commandments, as you wish) came from God, as written.

"Reading between the lines," of course an alternative belief is that these commandments are born from human inspiration. I mean no kidding. "Interpreted by humans to be commandments." Nothing difficult to understand about this either. Why always this strange dance of yours?

Again never mind. I didn't mean to trip you up. Just a simple question is all...
Did you not read the bold in my post. I believe inspirations are not necessarily just HUMAN in origin. I would attribute some to the influence and inspiration of God's consciousness. That seems to be the part you miss about my answers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2021, 11:22 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,720,681 times
149. To examine the marks in locusts, so as to distinguish the clean from the unclean (Lev. 11:21)

Where is the person who commented in this thread early on that all these commandments are very relevant to them even now?

Old 03-30-2021, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Did you not read the bold in my post. I believe inspirations are not necessarily just HUMAN in origin. I would attribute some to the influence and inspiration of God's consciousness. That seems to be the part you miss about my answers.
Thanks but maybe it isn't I'm missing anything in your comments. I don't think I am. Perhaps it's more the case that you are missing something in mine. Not understanding my comments. Seems that way to me, and we've tried to bridge that gap long enough and enough times, unsuccessfully, for me to think it's a bridge too far...

Last edited by LearnMe; 03-30-2021 at 12:15 PM..

Old 03-31-2021, 08:45 AM

150. Not to eat a worm found in fruit (Lev. 11:41) (CCN98).

Old 04-01-2021, 10:09 AM

151. Not to eat of things that creep upon the earth (Lev. 11:41-42) (CCN97).

What perhaps God didn't know back then...

The scientific term describing the practice of eating insects by humans is anthropo-entomophagy. The eggs, larvae, pupae, and adults of certain insects have been eaten by humans from prehistoric times to the present day. Around 3,000 ethnic groups practice entomophagy. Human insect-eating (anthropo-entomophagy) is common to cultures in most parts of the world, including Central and South America, Africa, Asia, Australia, and New Zealand. Eighty percent of the world's nations eat insects of 1,000 to 2,000 species. FAO has registered some 1,900 edible insect species and estimates that there were, in 2005, some two billion insect consumers worldwide. FAO suggests eating insects as a possible solution to environmental degradation caused by livestock production.

Insects eaten around the world include crickets, cicadas, grasshoppers, ants, various beetle grubs (such as mealworms, the larvae of the darkling beetle), and various species of caterpillar (such as bamboo worms, mopani worms, silkworms and waxworms).

Nutritional benefits

Insects such as crickets are a complete protein (contains all nine essential amino acids) and contain a more useful amount, comparable with protein from soybeans, though less than in casein (found in foods such as cheese). They have dietary fiber and include mostly unsaturated fat and contain some vitamins and essential minerals.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entomo...and%20waxworms).

Old 04-01-2021, 10:56 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,507,037 times
Quote:
149. To examine the marks in locusts, so as to distinguish the clean from the unclean (Lev. 11:21)

Where is the person who commented in this thread early on that all these commandments are very relevant to them even now?
"A plague of locusts that has been creeping across the Middle East is set to hit Israel just in time for the Passover holiday, commemorating the original pre-Exodus plague in Egypt."

https://www.israel365news.com/123267...assover-seder/

Old 04-01-2021, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
"A plague of locusts that has been creeping across the Middle East is set to hit Israel just in time for the Passover holiday, commemorating the original pre-Exodus plague in Egypt."

https://www.israel365news.com/123267...assover-seder/
Very interesting. Thanks...

“Swarms are often tens of square kilometers in size,” the United Nations Food and Agricultural Organization (FAO) charged with monitoring locust outbreaks explained. The FAO warned that a swarm of just one square kilometer eats the same amount of food in one day as 35,000 people. “A swarm the size of Bamako (Mali) or Niamey (Niger) can consume what half the population of either country would eat in a single day.”

The FAO reported that in the past two weeks, there has been an escalation in second-generation hatching and hopper band formation along both sides of the Red Sea. One swarm arrived in Iran at the end of January. Ground and air crews are already hard at work in Egypt and Saudi Arabia trying to control the infestation.

The swarms also can travel 93 miles a day making efforts to control an outbreak even more difficult. Officials warned that further rains in the region could lead to an even larger outbreak.

A similar infestation that took place exactly six years ago in southern Israel was successfully controlled. In 1915, a locust swarm in then-Palestine led to regional famine.

Though most insects are not kosher and unfit for Jewish consumption, there are four varieties of the insects that are listed as kosher. Some might even consider it fitting to dine on locusts during the Passover Seder ceremony.

Of these you may eat the following: locusts of every variety; all varieties of bald locust; crickets of every variety; and all varieties of grasshopper. Leviticus 11:22

The concept is highly appealing since they do not require ritual slaughtering and according to some opinions may even be consumed live. The flesh of locusts is parve and can be served with either dairy or meat.

Rabbi Natan Slifkin, director of the Biblical Museum of Natural History, holds an annual banquet featuring, among other unusual delicacies, locusts dipped in chocolate and caramel.

Yum!

Old 04-01-2021, 01:21 PM

22,182 posts, read 19,221,727 times
Quote:
151. Not to eat of things that creep upon the earth (Lev. 11:41-42) (CCN97).

Insects eaten around the world include crickets, cicadas, grasshoppers, ants, various beetle grubs (such as mealworms, the larvae of the darkling beetle), and various species of caterpillar (such as bamboo worms, mopani worms, silkworms and waxworms). Nutritional benefits. Insects such as crickets are a complete protein (contains all nine essential amino acids) and contain a more useful amount, comparable with protein from soybeans, though less than in casein (found in foods such as cheese). They have dietary fiber and include mostly unsaturated fat and contain some vitamins and essential minerals.
so then tell us LM, which of the insects listed in bold above do you eat?
do you eat insects?
if not, why not?

Old 04-02-2021, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
so then tell us LM, which of the insects listed in bold above do you eat?
do you eat insects?
if not, why not?
So then I'll tell you Tzap, I don't eat much in the way of insects probably for no reason other than the same reason some people belong to one religion in different parts of the world as compared to other parts of the world. I'm guessing you didn't read much about this in the link I provided...

Western culture

Although insect products such as honey and carmine are common, eating insects has not been adopted as a widespread practice in the West.

But of course I'm not the one who issued these 613 commandments, and they are the topic of this thread, not me.

Point being there is really nothing wrong with eating some insects other than locusts, as also noted in the link I provided. There are not many people even in the west who are eating locusts either. Been awhile since I've seen any on any restaurant menu anyway.

You?

So more of a cultural thing today? Or is this some sort of divine guidance still relevant today (as opposed to another man-made)?

Old 04-02-2021, 11:11 AM

152. Not to eat any vermin of the earth (Lev. 11:44) (CCN100).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality