Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2020, 12:07 PM

63,817 posts, read 40,099,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
We try to hear both views, not because of any open-minded superiority, but because we are genuinely curious as to how other people think.
That is not true. The basic atheist view is the only one given priority in every thread on every topic. My basic theist views on topics are considered hijacking on every thread no matter what the topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2020, 12:11 PM

50,826 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
That is not true. The basic atheist view is the only one given priority in every thread on every topic. My basic theist views on topics are considered hijacking on every thread no matter what the topic.
First of all, it's interesting to hear you say that you have "basic theist views".

But the reason you are accused of hijacking threads is that you use so many threads to push your own very individualized belief system.

Old 10-31-2020, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
First of all, it's interesting to hear you say that you have "basic theist views".

But the reason you are accused of hijacking threads is that you use so many threads to push your own very individualized belief system.
What are you doing, phet? Are you using someone else's views on every topic? This constant accusation is so preposterous!! We can only use our views to comment on any topic. Somehow my views are singled out for condemnation or persecution just because they are mine and atheists find them unacceptable.

Old 10-31-2020, 12:33 PM

16,781 posts, read 4,986,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
What are you doing, phet? Are you using someone else's views on every topic? This constant accusation is so preposterous!! We can only use our views to comment on any topic. Somehow my views are singled out for condemnation or persecution just because they are mine and atheists find them unacceptable.
The irony is that you have taken a post that had nothing to do with you, and made it all about you.

Now what was the actual topic?

Old 10-31-2020, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
The irony is that you have taken a post that had nothing to do with you, and made it all about you.
The irony is your perceptions are so skewed you cannot even recognize when a post was directed at me specifically as this one was.

Old 10-31-2020, 12:39 PM

16,675 posts, read 15,676,579 times
Get back on topic. NASA.

Old 10-31-2020, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Now what was the actual topic?
This is a discussion and conversation, Harry. My response was specifically to phet's post ABOUT ME, not the topic. Try reading before posting your kneejerk attacks.

Old 10-31-2020, 12:59 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,575,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
What do you think of this? (Beginning of the video)

I think it's sad. People trying to change history and facts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_LVvOQ_I6Y
The Genesis reading by the Apollo 8 crew on Christmas Eve was part of the most watched television broadcast at the time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_8_Genesis_reading

You can't miss it since it's the very beginning of the broadcast with the greeting.

Old 10-31-2020, 03:03 PM

7,592 posts, read 4,163,667 times
Thank you, Ichoro, for sharing that link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
yuppers, deserves and NASA got nothing to do with it.
NASA is relevant. What NASA accomplished is greater than the basic transaction of paying taxes and the engineers doing their job. I would think the people who accomplished this together would want to express their emotions. I would think the astronauts who risked their lives in order to take "one giant leap for mankind" would want their accomplishments to be expressed in a personal way. As Jodie Foster's character said in "Contact", "No - no words. No words to describe it. Poetry! They should have sent a poet." That is how I see the reading from Genesis...something poetic.

But I also understand there are people, bitter or not, who view reading scripture or thanking a god as promoting a religious belief.

Old 10-31-2020, 03:30 PM

50,826 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
Thank you, Ichoro, for sharing that link.

NASA is relevant. What NASA accomplished is greater than the basic transaction of paying taxes and the engineers doing their job. I would think the people who accomplished this together would want to express their emotions. I would think the astronauts who risked their lives in order to take "one giant leap for mankind" would want their accomplishments to be expressed in a personal way. As Jodie Foster's character said in "Contact", "No - no words. No words to describe it. Poetry! They should have sent a poet." That is how I see the reading from Genesis...something poetic.

But I also understand there are people, bitter or not, who view reading scripture or thanking a god as promoting a religious belief.
Well, if we're let astronauts do it, then why not school teachers who may be Islamic?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality