Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2020, 01:05 PM

50,089 posts, read 20,789,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Because I've read it. And I continue to read the Bible. We have overwhelming textual evidence to support the dependability of it.

Having said that, why do you continue to peddle your silly arguments attacking it? Why do you make such bad arguments about it? You are as guilty as anyone I've seen. You have your mindset and you continue to spout off about your unsubstantiated arguments.
I see overwhelming textual evidence to show that it is quite unreliable. You can believe what you like but posting claims about it's dependability will do nothing to make your case. Nor will abuse and personals make it look as though you have anything better.

However, thanks for making up my mind to start a thread about John. I've been wondering about it for some time. It's about time I knocked a few holes in the brick wall of Bible -reliability -claims, you people need your denialism stretched a bit.
Quote:
As opposed to believing whatever gnostic heresy of the week you decide to spout off about?

Yes, I'll believe the Word of God over you.
Heresy! There's no fun like BapFun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I honestly can't believe anyone would say that...both factually, and in terms of therefore eliminating the concept of faith.
Good point. But Faith is only a last resort when the evidence fails; they would...after all dearly wish that the evidence supported their Faith -claims. But it doesn't and Faith -based denial is where they end up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2020, 01:36 PM

11,080 posts, read 6,019,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel350z View Post
For example, how can the religious claim that their books are from the word of God when they have never had the originals and their books are nothing more than copies of copies that have been changed, altered and edited thousands of times?
Quote:
Because I've read it. And I continue to read the Bible. We have overwhelming textual evidence to support the dependability of it.

Having said that, why do you continue to peddle your silly arguments attacking it? Why do you make such bad arguments about it? You are as guilty as anyone I've seen. You have your mindset and you continue to spout off about your unsubstantiated arguments.
One can see the changes being made in modern times. Older 'modern' copies of the bible are sometimes different from present day copies. I dare say there may be attempts to correct original translation errors but other changes have been made too. One change is the creation. Originally the creation was of the world. That's been changed to the creation of the universe.

More glaring changes are the introduction of the entity Satan. In the old testament s-t-n was nothing more than the challenger or tempter and not a single persona. Then 'Satan' appears as an entity in the new testament and appears have to been created as an entity representing evil a few centuries into Christianity. Could have been earlier though.

Last edited by 303Guy; 11-20-2020 at 01:45 PM..

Old 11-20-2020, 01:44 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,058,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
One can see the changes being made in modern times. Older 'modern' copies of the bible are sometimes different from present day copies. I dare say there may be attempts to correct original translation errors but other changes have been made too. One change is the creation. Originally the creation was of the world. That's been changed to the creation of the universe.
You really don't have a clue what textual criticism is about, do you?

The fact that they're different is either because the translator abandons the text, or they simply phrase things differently.

Ever taken a foreign language class? Sometimes languages do translate strange.
Quote:
More glaring changes are the introduction of the person Satan. In the old testament s-t-n was nothing more than the challenger and not a single persona. Then 'Satan' appears as an entity in the new testament and appears to been created as an entity representing evil, a few centuries into Christianity.
Except he is. We see it. You can deny that if you wish, but he is.

In any event, this is known as progressive revelation. Scripture reveals progressively more and more truth of God.

Old 11-20-2020, 01:53 PM

11,080 posts, read 6,019,477 times
Quote:
OK then, enlighten me.

Old 11-20-2020, 02:31 PM

63,941 posts, read 40,218,720 times
Quote:
As opposed to believing whatever gnostic heresy of the week you decide to spout off about?

Yes, I'll believe the Word of God over you.
The problem is you have to know what IS the word of God, BapFu and you do not seem to. You believe every contradictory and inconsistent thing "written in ink" in the Bible and make no effort to test the Spirit of any of it against the revelations and demonstration of God's true nature by Jesus. How can you claim to be following Jesus's revelations about God when you are actually blindly accepting and following everything written in the Bible?

Old 11-20-2020, 06:18 PM

35,265 posts, read 17,141,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel350z View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Isn't religion always an issue of belief?
Yes, I agree it is simply a belief, nothing more. Just like the little boy that believes Santa will bring him toys. Faith is nothing more than the mortar that fills the cracks in the evidence and the gaps in the logic
There's a huge difference; the little boy receiving toys his parents really can't afford and the little boy really won't use serves only limited constructive purposes. The creation of a civil society founded on the basis of decency serves many salutatory purposes. Spoiled brats don't need more toys; to quote Burt Bacharach and Hal David, "what the world needs now is love sweet love."

Old 11-21-2020, 12:41 AM

50,089 posts, read 20,789,459 times
That's a bad argument. The world indeed needs some understanding. But I wouldn't go to religion for help with that. I would rather go to reason and understanding of ourselves and our instincts and I'd see religion as a good deal of the problem, anyway.

Old 11-21-2020, 04:30 AM

16,813 posts, read 5,018,316 times
Quote:
Clearly they do. It may not be deep knowledge, but I doubt yours is any better.

Quote:
The fact that they're different is either because the translator abandons the text, or they simply phrase things differently.

See? It is not an either / or case, there are other options. Galatians 4:14 for example.

Quote:
In any event, this is known as progressive revelation. Scripture reveals progressively more and more truth of God.
It is called adaption and evolution of religious belief.

Old 11-21-2020, 05:49 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,614,641 times
Quote:

Except he is. We see it. You can deny that if you wish, but he is.

I am not so sure I need that when I say that a deity that created us sent its son to save us sinners.

Old 11-22-2020, 12:32 AM

290 posts, read 165,555 times
I remember I had a discussion with my brother about religion years ago it was a short Mini one. We come from a Muslim background. I'm not sure how religion came up but he made note of how our religion Islam is true. I said it's called faith you can't prove it. If you could prove it then I guess it's not faith.

Then he said something like that Islam is true and the other religions aren't like say christianity because logic tells you Islam is true or it points you in they direction. I again retorted and said "how does logic tells you it's true"and he became quiet.

He's never read any religious text but just believes because it's what he has been taught. Pretty sad to know that there are millions out there like this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality