Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2020, 09:09 AM

1,754 posts, read 755,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
I really do not think many people have the time and/or interest to invest into what others believe unless it somehow affects them. One of the ways people may affect others without realizing it is through feelings of rejection "If you believe so and so, that means you reject me."
We don't necessarily have to fully understand everyone's views down to the last detail, but we do need to accept that free will means others will have different choices and beliefs and that good people can choose differently.

I am a vegetarian, my husband eats meat. No big deal. Neither are rejecting the other side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I like that. Sometimes the 'Cosmic Origins' argument will (not often ) get to "Suppose there is a creator -god? Which one?" (not quoting anyone in particular) and they say: "It's all the same God". Which again kicks the question down the road - Which one? The implication being that the god (if it exists) is the god of all religions or none, and any path is the 'relationship', even if it is the path of non - belief.
All religions have truths and connections to God, it doesn't matter "which one" it matters if you are serving God and you serve God by serving fellow humans. Atheists in this way and others have connections to God as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
According to the Bible does godthing have a favorite?
It depends on one's interpretations of that book and what one believes it is.

Jesus, a Jew, never argued theology with non-Jews, nor did he condemn non-Jews for not being Jews. He in fact helped non-Jews and said that their righteous would dine in heaven.

https://christiansforsocialaction.or...her-religions/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2020, 09:21 AM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
I like that. Sometimes the 'Cosmic Origins' argument will (not often ) get to "Suppose there is a creator -god? Which one?" (not quoting anyone in particular) and they say: "It's all the same God". Which again kicks the question down the road - Which one? The implication being that the god (if it exists) is the god of all religions or none, and any path is the 'relationship', even if it is the path of non - belief.
You are starting to get it, Arq. All the confusion, contradictions, and inconsistencies are the result of our human flaws, fallibility, perversity, and ignorance. Your humanism and angst about the rejection of the religious nonsense (sooty rags) are attributable to the influence of God within.

Old 11-24-2020, 09:22 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,604,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
According to the Bible does godthing have a favorite?
Spoiler
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBaker View Post
We don't necessarily have to fully understand everyone's views down to the last detail, but we do need to accept that free will means others will have different choices and beliefs and that good people can choose differently.

I am a vegetarian, my husband eats meat. No big deal. Neither are rejecting the other side.

All religions have truths and connections to God, it doesn't matter "which one" it matters if you are serving God and you serve God by serving fellow humans. Atheists in this way and others have connections to God as well.
Quote:

Jesus, a Jew, never argued theology with non-Jews, nor did he condemn non-Jews for not being Jews. He in fact helped non-Jews and said that their righteous would dine in heaven.

yea, that’s why there’s 30,000+ flavors of xianity

Old 11-24-2020, 09:40 AM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Religion should never be about trying to be superior to other religions. Religion should simply be about trying to have a better relationship with God, which in turn makes us better people. People acting in their best character wouldn't try to look down on others' religious views.

All religions are manifestations of connections to God.
No. Not Buddhism.

Old 11-24-2020, 09:43 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,011,213 times
One could make a religion of connecting with one's self. It is sort of odd we need an outsider to explain our own bodies to us.

Old 11-24-2020, 09:45 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
Quote:
yup.

Old 11-24-2020, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
You are starting to get it, Arq. All the confusion, contradictions, and inconsistencies are the result of our human flaws, fallibility, perversity, and ignorance. Your humanism and angst about the rejection of the religious nonsense (sooty rags) are attributable to the influence of God within.
how about him learning. I actually think he knows. He is way to insightful for me to think otherwise. maybe he is retiring from the fight and just going to live.

Old 11-24-2020, 09:48 AM

Quote:

you are professional grade baker. I don't agree, but you lay it out nicely.

good for you.

Old 11-24-2020, 09:51 AM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike644 View Post
It’s a book. You can run a test to see whether or not the bible exists. So the question is misleading. Why do you care about taking the time to talk about something you don’t believe in? You have to trust what people tell or show you to believe it to be true. Yes things have been flawed within it, but that doesn’t mean the whole thing is wasteful as you imply.

In a nation where a majority of the people profess to believe in god, and say that this nation exists "under god", and where a majority of those people believe it is incumbent on christians to "spread the word" (even if they may not personally do that), there is plenty of good reason for atheists to be involved in the discussions about christianity. Freedom of religion and freedom from religion are two sides of the same coin.

Old 11-24-2020, 09:53 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,011,213 times
Quote:
Diversified learning is usually a great thing. My point was that it's not about accepting and/or rejecting. The average person doesn't have the luxury of time/energy to invest in what others believe.

Quote:
That's how it usually works when no one feels threatened in any manner by the other's behaviors and/or notions.

Congrats on the New Baby & Hubby!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality