Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2020, 12:15 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,775,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Just to be clear, I am not advocating my religion over any others in this post. I am pushing for the advocacy of civilized values by any supportable religion.

Which is fair enough. I am advocating for such civilised values in any religion, or none.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2020, 12:28 PM

50,932 posts, read 24,432,298 times
Quote:
Just to be clear, I am not advocating my religion over any others in this post. I am pushing for the advocacy of civilized values by any supportable religion.
My point and question remain.

Old 11-16-2020, 12:41 PM

4,747 posts, read 2,354,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel350z View Post
For example, how can the religious claim that their books are from the word of God when they have never had the originals and their books are nothing more than copies of copies that have been changed, altered and edited thousands of times?
Everyone makes arguments for the "undeniable" veracity of their own religious beliefs consistent with the doctrine of that religious belief. "Bad arguments," in other words arguments made by the believers of any particular religion that have been examined and rejected as invalid or erroneous by those who do not subscribe to the religious belief in question, apply to EVERY religious belief. Every religious person is certain that religious beliefs other than their own are based on "bad arguments." But certainly this does not apply to their own beliefs.

Old 11-16-2020, 12:43 PM

9,209 posts, read 6,248,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
I am quite happy with that, not that you need my approval. But I would like to ask if I may, not to challenge you or anything but just out of interest, why do you believe what you do?
I have a choice of believing or not believing. Believing brings me comfort in disquiet times. There are many things I do not understand. Having belief in a higher power and force allows me to process these times and provide a context for the unexplainable. They also provide me with a link to those who came before and those who will come after. My beliefs encourage me to be a person of whom I am proud. I try to avoid actions, thoughts, and words that would shame me and my beliefs.

I don't try to convince anyone else of my beliefs; I don't "spread the word". My beliefs are personal and I rarely share them with others.

Old 11-16-2020, 01:07 PM

35,188 posts, read 17,102,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
My point and question remain.
I doubt it will make you believe in the Bible. That is also not my aim. I am sure you would never hurt a handicapped person if your online demeanor is any guide. Which is a good thing.

Old 11-16-2020, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
I have a choice of believing or not believing. Believing brings me comfort in disquiet times. There are many things I do not understand. Having belief in a higher power and force allows me to process these times and provide a context for the unexplainable. They also provide me with a link to those who came before and those who will come after. My beliefs encourage me to be a person of whom I am proud. I try to avoid actions, thoughts, and words that would shame me and my beliefs.

I don't try to convince anyone else of my beliefs; I don't "spread the word". My beliefs are personal and I rarely share them with others.
I am sure that we are happy that you find comfort in your religion (which you 'rarely' share with others). But inasmuch as you have posted your belief here, I (for one) have also posted that Faith is not a good reason to believe anything and 'comfort' is a good reason only for the believer.

Others find comfort in their religions, too and I feel that rational secularism relieves me of a great deal of stress in believing what is validated by sound evidence and logical reasoning and not constantly naving to block off doubts and questions..which i welcome about anything - even rational secularism.

Quote:
I doubt it will make you believe in the Bible. That is also not my aim. I am sure you would never hurt a handicapped person if your online demeanor is any guide. Which is a good thing.
I would risk a large bet that no poster here (that I can think of) would do such a thing, religious or not. Which suggests to me that morals are not due to religion.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 11-16-2020 at 03:20 PM..

Old 11-16-2020, 05:21 PM

9,209 posts, read 6,248,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I am sure that we are happy that you find comfort in your religion (which you 'rarely' share with others). But inasmuch as you have posted your belief here, I (for one) have also posted that Faith is not a good reason to believe anything and 'comfort' is a good reason only for the believer.

Others find comfort in their religions, too and I feel that rational secularism relieves me of a great deal of stress in believing what is validated by sound evidence and logical reasoning and not constantly naving to block off doubts and questions..which i welcome about anything - even rational secularism.

I would risk a large bet that no poster here (that I can think of) would do such a thing, religious or not. Which suggests to me that morals are not due to religion.

I find that faith is an excellent reason to believe and beliefs that bring comfort to the believer are very worthy.

Fortunately, your beliefs and your thoughts are yours and yours alone.

Old 11-16-2020, 06:24 PM

2,448 posts, read 896,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel350z View Post
Did they claim their traditions were from the word of God?
From spirits? Yes, many of them.

Old 11-16-2020, 10:42 PM

Quote:

I find that faith is an excellent reason to believe and beliefs that bring comfort to the believer are very worthy.

Fortunately, your beliefs and your thoughts are yours and yours alone.
I'm happy to accept that view, but the two viewpoints have been expressed here and browsers can make up their own minds. Evidence (or lack of it) or Faith.

Old 11-17-2020, 07:23 AM

5,517 posts, read 2,411,054 times
Quote:

Last night I realized this. One of the main reasons for the religious to believe in the after life is because it brings comfort. Because sitting around pondering the fact that you will no longer exist after death is utterly terrifying and frightening to the point of giving you debilitating anxiety attacks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality