Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2020, 10:08 AM

15,965 posts, read 7,027,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
The divine is within me and so is not so divine. I think it's about accepting that not so divine so it stops causing problems. That's all it wants anyway.
Not in the way Adviata (Non-dual) looks at it. There IS only one and you ARE within it and one with it and it is Truth, Goodness, and Equanimity/Love. Anything else is outside of you, not-you. That not so divine comes from a state of ignorance of one's true nature and spirituality is the cure to remove ignorance.
One way I look at spirituality is as mental hygiene and discipline, and that I need a bit of help in achieving both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2020, 10:12 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
On the order of 10^5 particles, and thats just one type, go through every square inch of your body every second from the sun. it doesn't matter if the sun is directly above you or on the other side of the planet. That part is less than 1% of the 5% that we know about. Whatever it is, it passes through us like a warm breeze through a screen. Or maybe its the other way around.

And we are going to actually try and defend nothing more [things]. Its just inconceivable that some atheist deny everything we know and/or theist make it a deity.

thats my spirituality right there.

Old 12-15-2020, 10:29 AM

50,810 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Your unwillingness to accept and understand that it isn't only religionists who experience spirituality is your disability. Your hostility and anger towards those who don't wallow in woo is palpable. Own it.
Bravo! Particularly the bolded.

Old 12-15-2020, 10:35 AM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Your unwillingness to accept and understand that it isn't only religionists who experience spirituality is your disability. Your hostility and anger towards those who don't wallow in woo is palpable. Own it.
True. It seems that Tzaph considers spirituality ONLY to apply to her many "wooish" beliefs, Trout.

Old 12-15-2020, 10:51 AM

15,860 posts, read 6,325,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Not in the way Adviata (Non-dual) looks at it. There IS only one and you ARE within it and one with it and it is Truth, Goodness, and Equanimity/Love. Anything else is outside of you, not-you. That not so divine comes from a state of ignorance of one's true nature and spirituality is the cure to remove ignorance.
One way I look at spirituality is as mental hygiene and discipline, and that I need a bit of help in achieving both.
I had to look up Advaita. Is it a deity or is it a concept? Saying the not so divine is outside sounds like duality so I'm going to go ahead and say that's not going to work for me. I believe it does come from a state of ignorance tho. I was ignorant that those actions/state of being were brought about by lashing out in pain and not some failing. Those actions might have been a reaction to the outside environment but they came from me. I accept all of that as part of my humanity.

Old 12-15-2020, 10:52 AM

50,810 posts, read 24,321,239 times
The beauty of the way that Cruithne set up this thread is that he asked what does spirituality and atheism mean to "you".

Some might go by the dictionary definition. But I liked the opening paragraph on Wikipedia's page about spirituality. It's worth reading whether you like Wikipedia or not: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spirituality

We have some people here, led by Tzap, who are trying to claim that they essentially "own" spirituality. They don't. What they are really trying to say is we are special, only we have the answer, everyone else must yield the field. They aren't and they don't.

Old 12-15-2020, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
I had to look up Advaita. Is it a deity or is it a concept? Saying the not so divine is outside sounds like duality so I'm going to go ahead and say that's not going to work for me. I believe it does come from a state of ignorance tho. I was ignorant that those actions/state of being were brought about by lashing out in pain and not some failing. Those actions might have been a reaction to the outside environment but they came from me. I accept all of that as part of my humanity.

Advaita (Non-Dualism) is a school of Indian (Hindu) philosophy or thoughts, grounded in Vedic texts.
Its basic premise is that the we identify our self, as the body and mind and intellect, is not our true self. We are in our essence, which in Sanskrit language is called atma, is pure, ever effulgent, the one true thing that is eternal, transcends time and space. Its nature is peace, fullness, and love.

This space is too small to explain this any further.

Old 12-15-2020, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
The beauty of the way that Cruithne set up this thread is that he asked what does spirituality and atheism mean to "you".

Some might go by the dictionary definition. But I liked the opening paragraph on Wikipedia's page about spirituality. It's worth reading whether you like Wikipedia or not: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spirituality

We have some people here, led by Tzap, who are trying to claim that they essentially "own" spirituality. They don't. What they are really trying to say is we are special, only we have the answer, everyone else must yield the field. They aren't and they don't.
Maybe instead of focusing on people, if you allow yourself to think beyond a box you have constructed around you, you may actually gain something. Or it may be not.

Old 12-15-2020, 11:55 AM

15,860 posts, read 6,325,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Advaita (Non-Dualism) is a school of Indian (Hindu) philosophy or thoughts, grounded in Vedic texts.
Its basic premise is that the we identify our self, as the body and mind and intellect, is not our true self. We are in our essence, which in Sanskrit language is called atma, is pure, ever effulgent, the one true thing that is eternal, transcends time and space. Its nature is peace, fullness, and love.

This space is too small to explain this any further.
I can go along with all of that except the eternal part remains a mystery. How do you see the hurt that people cause each other? Where does that come from? Where do impulses come from that don't along from the divine?

Old 12-15-2020, 11:56 AM

22,178 posts, read 19,221,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
The beauty of the way that Cruithne set up this thread is that he asked what does spirituality and atheism mean to "you". Some might go by the dictionary definition. But I liked the opening paragraph on Wikipedia's page about spirituality. It's worth reading whether you like Wikipedia or not: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spirituality We have some people here, ..., who are trying to claim that they essentially "own" spirituality. They don't. What they are really trying to say is we are special, only we have the answer, everyone else must yield the field. They aren't and they don't.
no, what i am pointing out is the proliferation of times when atheists claim "believers do this" how far off the mark those claims are. including the post above. and how they are NOT "saying what spirituality means for you" but saying what they imagine spirituality means to "believers" and being so far off the mark it is laughable. bold above is just another example of that.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 12-15-2020 at 12:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality