Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2021, 10:01 AM

2,400 posts, read 783,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Why the need to twist sentences? A lack of belief in any God means lacking belief in any gods. It does not necessarily mean belief that there are no gods. There are some gnostic atheists however most are probably agnostic atheists.

Thee may be a God but until there is sufficient evidence or reason to accept that there is one I lack the belief in one. This is clearly explained in the FAQ you mentioned and in many dictionaries which you are prone to provide us with definitions. The a at the front of many words means lack of not opposite of. Asymmetrical means without symmetry, a systematic means without systems, asymptoms means without symptoms etc. Atheists lack a belief in God and that doesn't always mean belief that there are no gods.

This has been explained countless times on these forums. I see no reasonable explanation why any long time poster on these forums should have any confusion about the words atheists and atheism
For the benefit of Tzaphkiel I would offer the same parallel for his processing.

Unless and until sufficient evidence is produced proving the existence of Santa Claus and his elves, I will continue to not believe in Santa Claus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2021, 10:08 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,720,681 times
Amazing to me to read so many comments about what is or is not atheism when I'm sure we all know the position of an atheist and why. Certainly should by now...

Then there are the many other comments having little to do with the definition of atheism but rather the attributes, personality traits and attitudes of both atheists and religious people. That's another subject of course and quite a subjective one.

How does a thread like this go on so long I wonder?

Old 02-16-2021, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Water View Post
For the benefit of Tzaphkiel I would offer the same parallel for his processing.

Unless and until sufficient evidence is produced proving the existence of Santa Claus and his elves, I will continue to not believe in Santa Claus.
Might be a good idea to come up with a better example than the tired old Santa Claus example, because I think even most religious people don't believe in Santa Claus. I've often tried to come up with that better example, but I'm not sure I've come up with just the right one yet...

Old 02-16-2021, 11:14 AM

22,180 posts, read 19,221,727 times
Quote:
Why the need to twist sentences? A lack of belief in any God means lacking belief in any gods. It does not necessarily mean belief that there are no gods. There are some gnostic atheists however most are probably agnostic atheists.

Thee may be a God but until there is sufficient evidence or reason to accept that there is one I lack the belief in one. This is clearly explained in the FAQ you mentioned and in many dictionaries which you are prone to provide us with definitions. The a at the front of many words means lack of not opposite of. Asymmetrical means without symmetry, a systematic means without systems, asymptoms means without symptoms etc. Atheists lack a belief in God and that doesn't always mean belief that there are no gods.

This has been explained countless times on these forums. I see no reasonable explanation why any long time poster on these forums should have any confusion about the words atheists and atheism
"Why the need to twist sentences?"
The quote that i posted, is a direct quote from the sticky in the Atheist forum.

Quote:
and yet so many atheists on the forum are confused about that. they argue and take issue even with the sticky note in the atheism forum.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 02-16-2021 at 11:24 AM..

Old 02-16-2021, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Might be a good idea to come up with a better example than the tired old Santa Claus example, because I think even most religious people don't believe in Santa Claus. I've often tried to come up with that better example, but I'm not sure I've come up with just the right one yet...
IMHO, there is no better one. Everyone knows about it and nobody holds it to be "real" (kids excepted). However, if you come up with a better one, lay it on me.

Old 02-16-2021, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
(Snipped for brevity) .

That's your stock-in-trade. Afraid somebody is stealing your IPR royalty-free? OMB WAB.

Old 02-16-2021, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Water View Post
IMHO, there is no better one. Everyone knows about it and nobody holds it to be "real" (kids excepted). However, if you come up with a better one, lay it on me.
It's a good one, don't get me wrong, and the fact I haven't been able to come up with a better one is perhaps because it is a good one. That or I haven't tried too hard yet, but where I think it is lacking is as mentioned before. I don't think there are many religious people -- adults -- who believe in Santa Claus, so obviously the analogy is not altogether full-proof. Additionally it is very old, repetitive and hardly original or imaginative, so I think the pursuit of a better analogy is worthwhile. Maybe for you too...

I'm not only going to work on one, but I'm encouraging anyone else who might be able to do better to offer their ideas about this too. Beats the same old repetition this forum tends to seriously suffer from as a rule.

IMHO anyway...

Old 02-16-2021, 11:49 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,325,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
The quote that i posted, is a direct quote from the sticky in the Atheist forum.

and yet so many atheists on the forum are confused about that. they argue and take issue even with the sticky note in the atheism forum.
Just which atheist other than Arach Angle have problems with the definition in FAQ ?

Old 02-16-2021, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Just which atheist other than Arach Angle have problems with the definition in FAQ ?
I neither know nor care what the FAQ says. I know what atheism is and isn't through 3 decades of being one.

Last edited by Salty Water; 02-16-2021 at 12:47 PM..

Old 02-16-2021, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
It's a good one, don't get me wrong, and the fact I haven't been able to come up with a better one is perhaps because it is a good one. That or I haven't tried too hard yet, but where I think it is lacking is as mentioned before. I don't think there are many religious people -- adults -- who believe in Santa Claus, so obviously the analogy is not altogether full-proof. Additionally it is very old, repetitive and hardly original or imaginative, so I think the pursuit of a better analogy is worthwhile. Maybe for you too...

I'm not only going to work on one, but I'm encouraging anyone else who might be able to do better to offer their ideas about this too. Beats the same old repetition this forum tends to seriously suffer from as a rule.

IMHO anyway...
It only works because they don't believe in Santa Claus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality