Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2021, 09:41 PM

22,182 posts, read 19,227,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
It's trying to maintain an untenable belief position that does that to a number of theists. I am sure they are decent people very often - as decent as the next. It's the religion that does the damage.
there is nothing reasonable, logical, or rational about making claims such as
"only atheism is honest" "only atheism is logical"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2021, 09:56 PM

79 posts, read 60,692 times
It seems to me belief about a binary dataset is itself, binary. Either you have a belief, or you have the opposite belief.

!A = !(A)

Consider this scenario:
- Do you believe the light is ON in your bedroom?

The answer is yes or no, and you can arrive at your belief however you choose... direct evidence, memory, feeling, whatever. By believe, I mean: find it probable (technically speaking). If you say, “yes” then that is indistinguishable, logically, from NOT believing the light is OFF. God is the light. He is either on or off. If I’m not convinced he’s on, then that’s precisely the same as saying, I’m presently convinced he’s off.

Probability of ON = A%
Probability of OFF = (1-A%)

If you believe it is on (A% > 50%) then you obviously don’t believe it is off (1-A% < 50%).

It would be silly if I asked, “is the light in your bedroom ON?” And you answered, “I doubt it.” Then I said, “so is the light in your bedroom OFF?” And you replied, “I’ve taken no stance on that.”

I’m an atheist, but I worry we spend too much time on semantics to try and qualify uncertainty and/or indifference. This is basic logic, however. Some people might not see the God question as binary, so there is that complication, but I think it is.

Old 02-15-2021, 10:17 PM

50,822 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Water View Post
Of course, they do. Nobody questions that. Although I do believe there will come a time in the near future when the various and sundry accommodations granted to religions by government will have to be withdrawn. Simply put, government should not be subsidizing, actively or passively, such counter-productive, backward activities.
That I agree with...but that's not how most of your posts sound.

Old 02-15-2021, 10:22 PM

2,400 posts, read 783,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
That I agree with...but that's not how most of your posts sound.
Actually, this is the first mention of that I have made. I have also said before that I am not a militant atheist. I do recognize, and its about time, that religion is on its way out. Lots of people still pay lip service to it, but do all they can to avoid the reaper until the very last possible second. If they truly believed paradise or heaven lay on the other side of that last breath, they wouldn't fight it so hard. I certainly wouldn't.

Old 02-15-2021, 11:16 PM

50,822 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Water View Post
Actually, this is the first mention of that I have made. I have also said before that I am not a militant atheist. I do recognize, and its about time, that religion is on its way out. Lots of people still pay lip service to it, but do all they can to avoid the reaper until the very last possible second. If they truly believed paradise or heaven lay on the other side of that last breath, they wouldn't fight it so hard. I certainly wouldn't.
I think you have no idea how your own posts sound.

Old 02-16-2021, 02:01 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zmunkz View Post
It seems to me belief about a binary dataset is itself, binary. Either you have a belief, or you have the opposite belief.

!A = !(A)

Consider this scenario:

The answer is yes or no, and you can arrive at your belief however you choose... direct evidence, memory, feeling, whatever. By believe, I mean: find it probable (technically speaking). If you say, “yes” then that is indistinguishable, logically, from NOT believing the light is OFF. God is the light. He is either on or off. If I’m not convinced he’s on, then that’s precisely the same as saying, I’m presently convinced he’s off.

Probability of ON = A%

If you believe it is on (A% > 50%) then you obviously don’t believe it is off (1-A% < 50%).

It would be silly if I asked, “is the light in your bedroom ON?” And you answered, “I doubt it.” Then I said, “so is the light in your bedroom OFF?” And you replied, “I’ve taken no stance on that.”

I’m an atheist, but I worry we spend too much time on semantics to try and qualify uncertainty and/or indifference. This is basic logic, however. Some people might not see the God question as binary, so there is that complication, but I think it is.
Very good. But this is when you have the evidence in your face. If someone asks you the question when you are not in the house you might have to assess the probabilities.

"Unless I left it on, it's off. Unless I have misplaced Faith that my wife (1) is faithful."

(1) Or whatever.

Old 02-16-2021, 03:12 AM

16,781 posts, read 4,986,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
bold above. yes. exactly.
nothing more. nothing.

nothing to do with "science"
nothing to do with "being rational"
It is a conclusion of science and being rational. That you regard that as nothing is the usual arrogance of internet sages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
the only meaning it has --- as you yourself stated in post #181 --
is "atheism is merely non -belief in any god -claim and nothing more than that."
A conclusion based on evidence, often including science.

Old 02-16-2021, 03:21 AM

16,781 posts, read 4,986,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
A non-belief has no existence on its own. Atheism is the belief that there is no god. Why is it so important for you to call it a non-belief?
Because it is a negative belief that can not be proven. This makes it different to a positive belief.

Old 02-16-2021, 03:40 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,584,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
A non-belief has no existence on its own. Atheism is the belief that there is no god. Why is it so important for you to call it a non-belief?
How you would group believers in your religion can usually be applied to any statement of belief about god.

There are levels of non belief like there are levels in your beliefs. Actually better stated as expressions of a belief. Some of us just lack belief and that's that. Some are not just lack belief, I actually fall in that category about a bible god. I say there is not one. Some are not even worried about the statement of belief about god and are just in it for some other reason.

Old 02-16-2021, 03:47 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,584,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zmunkz View Post

!A = !(A)

Consider this scenario:

Probability of ON = A%

In the simplest sense you would be correct. Either we say "we believe you" or we are non believers. Like the light on the dimmer. "Its not off, so its on." or "its off. that is it." so you guys are correct in that light. lol

Life just is not that binary, I think your position also assume we know what god is. We just don't know. I don't see it as binary because it is not a light switch. It is more like a dimmer switch on the bedroom light. And the amount of light we see is in question. I say "Based on that shadow, I think the light is on." Somebody that doesn't know shadows comes along says "I don't know." then proceeds to put down every line of logic about the shadows.

Its something but we just don't know what it is. From just us being part of a larger system of life all the way up to a cosmic mind. We can say for sure its not deity. Like we can say for sure the light is not off. We are not 100% sure at all.

The example I use is dark matter. I believe something is there because of the data. I just don't know what it is. But in the simplest sense. If you are saying because I don't know then that is disbelief, my question is then why force it into that?

Back to your light example. What we face is "I think the light is on but I am not sure." and we are met with "You are wrong there is no proof the light is on." Or, "Those "light on" believers are so rude can you just say the light is off, it doesn't matter in the end."

Or my personal favorite. "Ok, it might be on, but could you keep it to your self and not question us. We are n the same team and after the same goal."

Last edited by Arach Angle; 02-16-2021 at 04:00 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality