Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2021, 01:07 PM

50,821 posts, read 24,321,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
My sisters and wives always said that if you dont believe in Karma, hang around Hanni for a while. If anyone has good karma, it is me, hands down me. That dude wasnt speaking of karma though. I am a firm believer in karma.
You can't just you believe in karma (well you can)...you need to say which version of karma you believe in.

Old 03-05-2021, 06:06 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
I believe in a crackers with karma on it, covered in chocolate.

Old 03-06-2021, 01:07 AM

23,159 posts, read 10,449,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
You can't just you believe in karma (well you can)...you need to say which version of karma you believe in.
I dont know what the difference versions are, my whole family would tell you its impossible for me to want of anything and not receive it, or ever risk going to jail, and while I should have went to jail 40 times, it cant happen. If I should need something, it will pop up. Need a car a fluke will occur in somebodies life and a free car will be handed to me, and it isnt luck. I could walk into a diner hungry with no money and say nothing, somebody would be lonely or something and invite me for a free dinner. Its It's just the way it is. I have good karma and there is a reason for it,

Old 03-06-2021, 03:33 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Quote:
I dont know what the difference versions are, my whole family would tell you its impossible for me to want of anything and not receive it, or ever risk going to jail, and while I should have went to jail 40 times, it cant happen. If I should need something, it will pop up. Need a car a fluke will occur in somebodies life and a free car will be handed to me, and it isnt luck. I could walk into a diner hungry with no money and say nothing, somebody would be lonely or something and invite me for a free dinner. Its It's just the way it is. I have good karma and there is a reason for it,
When the Plague is over you and I must go travel together. I won't need to bring any money. The Lord will provide, so long as thou are with me, and thy Karma and thy Dogna, they shall payeth for me. Surely.

Quote:
I only know of two - the natural force that manages one's moral bank account and events taking their course
with a belief that everything turns out to be what we deserve, in the end.

Know of any others?

Old 03-06-2021, 08:37 AM

23,159 posts, read 10,449,759 times
If you have good karma, you ain't never ever going to be rich.

Old 03-06-2021, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post

I only know of two - the natural force that manages one's moral bank account and events taking their course
with a belief that everything turns out to be what we deserve, in the end.

Know of any others?
There seems to be basically two versions:

1. Some people believe it's some sort of cosmic justice system.
2. Others of us believe it is cause and effect.

Old 03-06-2021, 10:33 AM

63,812 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
There seems to be basically two versions:

1. Some people believe it's some sort of cosmic justice system.
2. Others of us believe it is cause and effect.
How do they differ??? The instantiator of the cause-effect consequence is the cosmos.

Old 03-06-2021, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
How do they differ??? The instantiator of the cause-effect consequence is the cosmos.
One of the best articles I ever read about Buddhism had one basic premise. That Buddhism isn't "difficult". In your post, above, you're trying to make a simple concept difficult.

So here's how they differ:

We had a poster who said that covid was punishment for American slavery. That's one way that people talk about karma. Reward and punishment. Do something good and some power in the sky will reward you. Do something bad and some power in the sky will punish you. Of course, that doesn't explain why some very bad things never get punished and some very good things never get rewarded. Western religion often focuses on reward versus punishment.

On the other hand, the version of karma I subscribe to is simple cause and effect. If one person hangs out will Bill Gates most of the time, and another person hangs out with drug addicts most of the time, who is more likely to prosper and who is more likely to suffer? That's cause and effect. It's not some power in the sky, but rather you as an individual making positive versus negative choices in your life, and which are going to bode well for you, or ill for you.

Two very different versions of karma, with the second being much more "Eastern".

Old 03-06-2021, 11:00 AM

63,812 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
One of the best articles I ever read about Buddhism had one basic premise. That Buddhism isn't "difficult". In your post, above, you're trying to make a simple concept difficult.

So here's how they differ:

We had a poster who said that covid was punishment for American slavery. That's one way that people talk about karma. Reward and punishment. Do something good and some power in the sky will reward you. Do something bad and some power in the sky will punish you. Of course, that doesn't explain why some very bad things never get punished and some very good things never get rewarded. Western religion often focuses on reward versus punishment.

On the other hand, the version of karma I subscribe to is simple cause and effect. If one person hangs out will Bill Gates most of the time, and another person hangs out with drug addicts most of the time, who is more likely to prosper and who is more likely to suffer? That's cause and effect. It's not some power in the sky, but rather you as an individual making positive versus negative choices in your life, and which are going to bode well for you, or ill for you.

Two very different versions of karma, with the second being much more "Eastern".
Thank you for this thoughtful response, phet. It bodes well for future discourse. I agree with you that the first (Western) interpretation is largely colored by the religious reward/punishment meme of our earliest ancestors. Like you, I prefer the Eastern view but without discarding the God behind it. I just prefer to see the cause/effect consequences as the result of the life processes of a living God which we are an integral part of.

Blaming the consequences of God's life processes on God's Will is just human ignorance and hubris. They are what they are which is why atheist claims that it is as if no God exists is so hard to counter. This is why we are to overcome and endure to the end whatever physical consequences we encounter as our Spirit develops and matures, IMO.

Old 03-06-2021, 11:00 AM

15,966 posts, read 7,027,888 times
Quote:
But I'm Irish.

Bueller?

Bueller?
What does that mean? Is it supposed to mean something? Are you sure you are Irish?
Karma is about the sum of all actions, by everyone, and its result. It lasts as long as as karma lasts, which is eternity. We all pay for horrible misdeeds. It requires a lot of good deeds , by all of us, to balance the karma. So Bill Gates may balance a tiny bit of the karma earned by this land. That is why we got the vaccines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality