Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2021, 02:13 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,584,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
You don't understand. If you don't believe god, you must be struggling. Now get back in line and start struggling!
actually that is not it. Although I see why you would cling to it like a rubber ducky.

The following is demonstrating struggling ...

"Sortagod cannot be allowed to pass through inattention or being worn down with constant nagging, because it hands theism the logical default for free. Without their having to produce anything but fallacious arguments."

Its not only struggling ... its afraid.

No worries ... I know.

Last edited by Arach Angle; 03-12-2021 at 02:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2021, 08:59 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,725,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I'm not sure that's really the analogy I would be looking for. Maybe like it being decided that logic didn't really work. It would be that much of a shake -up.

That's how I work, too

Quote "Expect to be disappointed, and you won't be".
Okay. What about the Santa analogy? Did you once believe in Santa?

Old 03-13-2021, 01:09 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Okay. What about the Santa analogy? Did you once believe in Santa?
Yes, I think I did. Then I (and sisters) suspecting it was the parents and one Xmas we caught them smuggling in the Loot and the game was Up.

It was a process rather like growing out of the martian canals (remember those? ) and the landers showing them to be not the case. It was not a shock - it was as we'd long suspected. I imagine it will be the same for the Moon landing conspiracy when (if) there are revisits and they bus over to Tranquility base to dust off he reflectors and straighten the US flag.

I imagine it's much the same for deconverts from the religious myth. Some find it a painful process, others just 'Let Go'.

I think that the Santa analogy holds up there, don't you?

Old 03-13-2021, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Yes, I think I did. Then I (and sisters) suspecting it was the parents and one Xmas we caught them smuggling in the Loot and the game was Up.

It was a process rather like growing out of the martian canals (remember those? ) and the landers showing them to be not the case. It was not a shock - it was as we'd long suspected. I imagine it will be the same for the Moon landing conspiracy when (if) there are revisits and they bus over to Tranquility base to dust off he reflectors and straighten the US flag.

I imagine it's much the same for deconverts from the religious myth. Some find it a painful process, others just 'Let Go'.

I think that the Santa analogy holds up there, don't you?
For us the Santa analogy might work. Doesn't hold up so well for others, but we've covered that already...

As kids get older so do the parents, and the parents don't stay up as late as they used to when the kids were younger. So in time, the parents start to sneak out the Santa presents earlier and earlier Chistmas eve evening while the kids now older are still awake later and later into the night. It's at that point that reality begins to settle in for most of us, even though most of us act dumb for a few more years to keep the presents from Santa coming as long as possible...

Old 03-13-2021, 07:51 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
One way or another, we eventually tumble...there ain't no Santa...apart from Cosmic Santa to whom all the stuff we know about must be credited - but only by the Faithful.

Old 03-14-2021, 05:54 AM

Quote:
One way or another, we eventually tumble...there ain't no Santa...apart from Cosmic Santa to whom all the stuff we know about must be credited - but only by the Faithful.
It takes as much faith to deny the toys are there as it does to say coke santa is the only answer.

Old 03-14-2021, 11:01 AM

Back to the question I was hoping to get answered...

Does having faith mean that someone has not really experienced anything that proves to them a god exists?

And/or if one has had such an experience such that they KNOW god exists, do they no longer need to rely on faith? No need to claim they have faith God exists.

Shouldn't be a combination of both. Right? I mean I have experienced love, pain, hunger and a zip line trip across the Zambezi River. I know these things exist as a result. I don't need to have faith these things exist.

Old 03-14-2021, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Back to the question I was hoping to get answered...

Does having faith mean that someone has not really experienced anything that proves to them a god exists?

And/or if one has had such an experience such that they KNOW god exists, do they no longer need to rely on faith? No need to claim they have faith God exists.

Shouldn't be a combination of both. Right? I mean I have experienced love, pain, hunger and a zip line trip across the Zambezi River. I know these things exist as a result. I don't need to have faith these things exist.
I don't think so. You can have faith in your experience. "I saw something, I am not sure what it is. It could be a few things."

Old 03-14-2021, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
I don't think so. You can have faith in your experience. "I saw something, I am not sure what it is. It could be a few things."
No. I don't have faith in my experience. I know what I experienced...

I have faith about things I'm not sure about (maybe). That my car will start next time I need to use it for example. I have faith it will. I don't have or invoke faith once it actually starts. Once the car starts, I no longer have faith it will start. Now I know. What's so hard to understand about this?

People like you can complicate a brick. All the way back to whether we even know if we actually exist, but keep it simple for simple people like me, and it's possible to know things as opposed to needing faith. Simple to distinguish between the two in any case.

I have faith you won't agree or understand, but when it comes to faith, one really never knows...

Old 03-14-2021, 04:18 PM

Quote:
No. I don't have faith in my experience. I know what I experienced...

I have faith about things I'm not sure about (maybe). That my car will start next time I need to use it for example. I have faith it will. I don't have or invoke faith once it actually starts. Once the car starts, I no longer have faith it will start. Now I know. What's so hard to understand about this?

People like you can complicate a brick. All the way back to whether we even know if we actually exist, but keep it simple for simple people like me, and it's possible to know things as opposed to needing faith. Simple to distinguish between the two in any case.

I have faith you won't agree or understand, but when it comes to faith, one really never knows...
Yup, I don't know all the time what I experienced. I know what I thought I experienced but the brain can be trick way to easily to believe everything I see.

Maybe that is one of my disconnects. My first question is "Did what I just experience actually happen?" so I have been cross checking my whole life. That "ghost on the film"? A bug walking across the lens explained it far better explanation than a simple tons trumpeting out "It aint no god thing" over and over and over again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality