Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2021, 07:19 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times

Advertisements

How do you spend them?

One of life's great gifts is the lack of foreknowledge of the exact time, and cause, of our deaths.

What if we knew - without question - we'd be dead in 24 hours but are otherwise as healthy as we are this moment?

I imagine many believers would contact their pastor/priest. Perhaps attend a service if possible. Most, I'm certain, would set aside time to pray.

I would notify my sons, my SO, my siblings, and my two life-long friends - in the hopes we could all get together. If seasonable, we'd gather outside with libations, lots of laughter and wonderful smells emanating from the bbq.

When the time came, I'd kiss and hug and cry my goodbyes and go sit in the chair at the end of my dock with a dram of my good tequila.

Then I'd toast the universe and wait.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2021, 07:56 PM

2,400 posts, read 782,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
How do you spend them?

One of life's great gifts is the lack of foreknowledge of the exact time, and cause, of our deaths.

What if we knew - without question - we'd be dead in 24 hours but are otherwise as healthy as we are this moment?

I imagine many believers would contact their pastor/priest. Perhaps attend a service if possible. Most, I'm certain, would set aside time to pray.

I would notify my sons, my SO, my siblings, and my two life-long friends - in the hopes we could all get together. If seasonable, we'd gather outside with libations, lots of laughter and wonderful smells emanating from the bbq.

When the time came, I'd kiss and hug and cry my goodbyes and go sit in the chair at the end of my dock with a dram of my good tequila.

Gone Fishing!!

Old 04-03-2021, 08:31 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Water View Post
Gone Fishing!!
LOL. Pretty much.

Too soon to rep.

Old 04-03-2021, 10:28 PM

2,962 posts, read 862,840 times
I think your spirit/soul is eternal. Death is not the end.

Old 04-03-2021, 11:50 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,083,547 times
Quote:
How do you spend them?

I don’t think I will need to visit any priest or Imam or a Rabbi.
I try to offer the daily prayers in an effort to meet the obligation. Pastors and priests etc can’t do anything for me. My good or bad actions, over the course of my adulthood, are my representatives in the hereafter.
If I owe any debt to anyone (which I don’t), I will pay that off for sure.

I will spend time with my family. Cant get any better than that.

Old 04-04-2021, 01:31 AM

11,019 posts, read 5,976,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwasmadenew View Post
I think your spirit/soul is eternal. Death is not the end.
I've never seen a dead fisherman! I would say that death is pretty final.

What would I do if I was told I was about to die? Well, that would mean I've been given a death sentence so I wouldn't be too overly excited about it. I recon hitting the fishing with a bottle of rum would the the only recourse!

Or going to say goodbye to family? Yeah maybe. It's a hard choice to make.

(No it's not)

Old 04-04-2021, 05:18 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,567,423 times
For many reasons, I would tell my wife and kids that I consider myself lucky to have 24 to say good by to them. I would say say "sorry", but that would be more for them than me. Unless it was my fault it happened.

Old 04-04-2021, 06:13 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
How do you spend them?

...for Otis Redding to start singing?

Old 04-04-2021, 07:11 AM

50,086 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
I've never seen a dead fisherman! I would say that death is pretty final.

What would I do if I was told I was about to die? Well, that would mean I've been given a death sentence so I wouldn't be too overly excited about it. I recon hitting the fishing with a bottle of rum would the the only recourse!

Or going to say goodbye to family? Yeah maybe. It's a hard choice to make.

(No it's not)
Yes. I think I'd talk to friends and family. Email at least. Plead with them to at least find a buyer for my Thai stamp collection, not just throw it in the skip.

Old 04-04-2021, 07:44 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times
Call a few people telling them, and to be happy for me!!
(I've already told them that anyway ...in case
anything happened to me ...'Be Happy I'm finally outta here and back HOME!')
The rest of the day?

Placing some more things in the dumpster I share with a neighbor. (Cuz I've already been preparing.) Putting clean sheets on the bed.
Do a last wash.
Cleaning a couple things...mopping the kitchen.
Writing instructions for the pets...so it's in writing.
Doing a quick wet-towel-shampoo-wipe and rinse of my German Shepherd so she is nicer to pet.
Filling all water bowls and adding some big bowls in case.

Getting some boxes, probably putting all DVDs and books in them. Fill some garbage bags for Goodwill and mark them.
Empty some leftovers and veggies from fridge.
Take some great frozen meats to John across the street.
Send another photo to a friend where cash is buried, but place some colorful 'thing' on top of the spot.
And so on...being VERY happy!

Leaving an envelope for another friend with other cash, with instructions to give envelopes,
enclosed, with $500 each to homeless people of their choice,
(preferring women that are down and out.)...prob found in the Food lines.

Every minute would be productive...my thoughts would be thanking God, very excited!
Thank you Thank you! Lord!

Couldn't rep you TD...but did Salty Water for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality