Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2021, 06:54 AM

25,447 posts, read 9,809,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Nobody has yet explained why they dont complain when the POTUS prays on TV God Bless America and Americans. That includes you in the prayer. From the Oval Office. And yes it is a prayer.
God bless America can be any god. My experience has been that prayers at meetings where I am in attendance always include in Jesus' name, and dear heavenly Father.

I don't usually listen to the president on television, so don't hear it anyway.

Old 05-06-2021, 06:54 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times
Quote:
Are white atheists now comparing themselves to enslaved people working the plantation? Dont they have any shame?
Seeing as how I was responding to Gldn's "power by way of the majority". I can't even begin to imagine what you're implying here."
Getting desperate, are you?
But, BTW, how would you know what color I am, not to mention WHY would you be bringing up race?

Old 05-06-2021, 06:55 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,012,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Seeing as how I was responding to Gldn's "power by way of the majority". I can't even begin to imagine what you're implying here."
But, BTW, how would you know what color I am, not to mention WHY would you, be bringing up race?
Retired Florida.

Old 05-06-2021, 06:58 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,653,625 times
Quote:
Oh, you mean like the plantation owners during the slave era??
Might makes right, huh?
Yes...and for more robust examples...we have Pharaoh, Caesar/Constantine & the Roman's, William the Conqueror, Genghis Khan, Napoleon, Mao, etc, etc, etc
In this world, it has always been, and will always be: If you have enough direct or indirect might, and are willing & able to apply it, you get to have things conform to your preferences to the extent possible.
Theological Influence is incredibly powerful.
I am not assessing the "morality" of it...just that that's how it has always gone down, and will always go down that way.

Old 05-06-2021, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
I am not assessing the "morality" of it...just that that's how it has always gone down, and will always go down that way.
Well, I hate to say it but it sounds very much like you're not only defending it but prefer it and believe that things can't change....which, like the slavery issue, it did.

Old 05-06-2021, 07:09 AM

16,677 posts, read 15,676,579 times
Quote:
There are efforts in that regard. Here's one small local example but it also points out why there may not be more.

https://azjewishpost.com/2013/steadf...supreme-court/
"At first, Galloway said, she and Stephens felt ostracized; then it got worse. Threatening letters came in, some signed “666,” the Christian signifier of the devil. Stephens’ home was vandalized.'

You wanna bet it wasn't atheists that did the vandalizing?
That's an interesting case. It explains why the issue at town council (and other local) meetings is somewhat different from the issue of prayers at legislative sessions (no matter how we feel about those).

What was the outcome of that case with the Supreme Court?

Are you suggesting it was atheists who did the vandalizing? Are you suggesting it was atheists that sent the threatening letter signed "666?" Why would atheists take issue with somebody fighting Christian prayer at a town council meeting?

Old 05-06-2021, 07:15 AM

16,677 posts, read 15,676,579 times
Quote:
the SCOTUS threw out the Galloway case to stop the prayer. you know that.
What do you mean when you say they "threw it out?" Did they deny the appeal? The appeals court had ruled that the prayer was wrong. Denying the appeal would let the ruling stand. Overturning the appeal would allow the prayers to continue. Can you post a link to the Supreme Court case?

Old 05-06-2021, 07:21 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,653,625 times
Quote:
Well, I hate to say it but it sounds very much like you're not only defending it but prefer it and believe that things can't change....which, like the slavery issue, it did.
You were the one that brought up Plantation Owner type slavery...that must be because you defend and endorse it. Right?
Things did not change...the mighty just prefered not to "enslave" people that way. Too much round-the-clock direct supervisional effort & too "messy" in physical and emotional ways.
So, the mighty just "enslave" in other ways...they take half of your money in the form of "taxes" and "fees", and make it a crime not to pay...or like the mighty Corporate Executives that make hundreds of millions (even billions) off the collective effort of those they give subsistence compensation.

Old 05-06-2021, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
That's an interesting case. It explains why the issue at town council (and other local) meetings is somewhat different from the issue of prayers at legislative sessions (no matter how we feel about those).

What was the outcome of that case with the Supreme Court?

Are you suggesting it was atheists who did the vandalizing?
Are you suggesting it was atheists that sent the threatening letter signed "666?" Why would atheists take issue with somebody fighting Christian prayer at a town council meeting?
No,no,no..... it was more likely the peaceful, loving prayer-saying Christians.

Old 05-06-2021, 07:23 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,605,673 times
Anyone remember this loving xian exchange with beating up this guy protesting the prayer at a meeting?

Yea the love

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4h7ekCD6uE4

He sued and won
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality