Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2021, 11:32 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,584,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
You're not forcing them not to pray. You're just saying this is not the time and place for your public prayers.
when you stop them from opening their town meeting with your statement of belief about religion/prayer, you are forcing your beliefs on them. if you are not ... the them deciding to open their meeting with prayer is not forcing anything on anybody either.

This matter is simple phet. The fact that you have to fight it so hard, past alternate or none, whatever the people decide, is just proof that you running scared.

Old 05-09-2021, 12:23 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,653,625 times
Quote:
You're not forcing them not to pray. You're just saying this is not the time and place for your public prayers.
Some prefer that to be the time and place.
So...say it is your preference that it is not...then whoever has the might (by way of majority concensus, power of the officials & authorities, etc) will get what they prefer. Or you can come to a mutual agreement to accommodate as many as possible.
What you really shouldn't do, in my subjective opinion...is whine about it, whatever it is.
Those claiming "efficiency" and not "wasting time/effort", are putting forth a losing argument.
To prepare for and spend 1 day in court would take more time/effort than 100 years of a 30 second prayer a couple times a week.

Old 05-09-2021, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
So...say it is your preference that it is not...then whoever has the might (by way of majority concensus, power of the officials & authorities, etc) will get what they prefer. Or you can come to a mutual agreement to accommodate as many as possible.
What you really shouldn't do, in my subjective opinion...is whine about it, whatever it is.
Those claiming "efficiency" and not "wasting time/effort", are putting forth a losing argument.
To prepare for and spend 1 day in court would take more time/effort than 100 years of a 30 second prayer a couple times a week.
yup.

clearly one religious prayer should be avoided. Outside of that we can talk about it.

Unless of course we are fighting religion and blaming it for all the evil. then thinking is not a requirement.

Old 05-09-2021, 12:26 PM

50,823 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
when you stop them from opening their town meeting with your statement of belief about religion/prayer, you are forcing your beliefs on them. if you are not ... the them deciding to open their meeting with prayer is not forcing anything on anybody either.

This matter is simple phet. The fact that you have to fight it so hard, past alternate or none, whatever the people decide, is just proof that you running scared.
What I bolded is not true or correct. As an atheist and Buddhist I don't want to hear their prayers in public meetings. But I also know christians who feel it is inappropriate for there to be prayers in public meetings.

And stop with the "running scared" and "running away" routine that you always place on trans and me. We're right here on a regular basis.

Old 05-09-2021, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
I understand your position.

Old 05-09-2021, 12:35 PM

23,162 posts, read 10,455,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
I'm not going to move it. I'm just going to tell you (once again) that you don't understand the Separation of Church and State. In order to understand it, you need to understand the Supreme Court ruling that have dealt with it. Obviously, you don't understand that, or you wouldn't be suggesting it's OK to start a town hall meeting with prayer without being very careful to qualify how and by whom it is done.
People never notice abuse and pushing of religion when it's their religion being forced, for God's sake, cant you see they are trying to save you? How can an attempt to save you be wrong?

What gets me is these stupid people like Jay Sekulo, and while I like some of the things he does, I think it ironic how he will try and keep a list of ten commandments in view in a court or memorial WHEN THE FREAK DOESNT BELIEVE IN THE TEN COMMANDMENTS LOL.

Dude would fight to keep a memorial of the commandments to turn around and teach a Sunday Sabbath brahaha, what a loser.

Old 05-09-2021, 12:40 PM

Quote:
What I bolded is not true or correct. As an atheist and Buddhist I don't want to hear their prayers in public meetings. But I also know christians who feel it is inappropriate for there to be prayers in public meetings.

And stop with the "running scared" and "running away" routine that you always place on trans and me. We're right here on a regular basis.
what you bolded is correct. You just don't get it. You next sentence proves me rights. "I as a Buddhist don't want to hear it so don't do it."

I am ok with no prayer in public meeting also. But whem I hear then I don't get pissed off either. You do. Sure I would speak up against it or vote against against it. But I won't form a protest group about it either.

No, I am not stopping with it phet. Your are so scared I kind almost feel sorry for you. You think you are awake. Keep reading that holy book of yours.

Old 05-09-2021, 12:45 PM

We have Tball here and you have to repeat the tball pledge about belief in God to reciting a prayer to God.

I can hear the pledge and prayer from my room, but I like it, the national anthem plays, the pledge, the prayer, and all of this during church bells and songs being played on loud speakers being heard through the whole town.

I really like it but DAMN If I were an Atheist with the same enthusiasm I have for the bible, I would be livid.

Old 05-09-2021, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
what you bolded is correct. You just don't get it. You next sentence proves me rights. "I as a Buddhist don't want to hear it so don't do it."

I am ok with no prayer in public meeting also. But whem I hear then I don't get pissed off either. You do. Sure I would speak up against it or vote against against it. But I won't form a protest group about it either.

No, I am not stopping with it phet. Your are so scared I kind almost feel sorry for you. You think you are awake. Keep reading that holy book of yours.
So you are a Buddhist, I swear, I been trying to figure you out for a while, that helps, cool.

Old 05-09-2021, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
So you are a Buddhist, I swear, I been trying to figure you out for a while, that helps, cool.
Just to make clear...I'm the Buddhist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality