Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2021, 01:42 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,641,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
I'm not talking about ramming beliefs down anyone's throats. I'm talking about Truth vs error. We can tolerate a little error for the greater purpose of societal peace, but we ought never to sacrifice, compromise, or silence Truth.
Will you please define your "we"? It's not clear if you mean government or The Catholic Church, because you seem to be switching back and forth.

Old 04-20-2021, 01:49 PM

13,626 posts, read 7,946,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
Will you please define your "we"? It's not clear if you mean government or The Catholic Church, because you seem to be switching back and forth.
Sorry for the confusion. In the post you quoted, I meant "we" as in society as a whole.

I'm neither a member of government nor of the hierarchy of the Church, so I didn't intend my post to be taken that way.

Old 04-20-2021, 02:43 PM

16,677 posts, read 15,680,560 times
Quote:
Interesting.

I'm a minority and I'm enlisting your support in establishing an independent Catholic monarchy on a 1/2 acre of land that I own. I don't consent to being governed either by the government in Washington DC or in Montgomery and intend to declare myself King and establish peaceful diplomatic relations between my Kingdom and any nation surrounding it. Can I count on your emotional, if not financial support?
The US already determined that secession is not legal, so, no, you can't leave the United States. There IS a procedure for a state to be formed from part of an existing state. If you decide to take that route, the first step is to get the permission from the state legislature. Then you can petition the federal government for statehood, but I doubt you could meet the minimum population requirement.

Old 04-20-2021, 02:45 PM

Quote:
All these things you're saying have nothing to do with government officials publicly paying homage to the True Sovereign King of the Universe.
Why should government officials pay homage to anybody?

Old 04-20-2021, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
The US already determined that secession is not legal, so, no, you can't leave the United States. There IS a procedure for a state to be formed from part of an existing state. If you decide to take that route, the first step is to get the permission from the state legislature. Then you can petition the federal government for statehood, but I doubt you could meet the minimum population requirement.
Thank you for confirming that you, along with phetaroi, MinivanDriver, and myself, don't believe in the concept of "consent of the governed" except in a very limited sense.

Old 04-20-2021, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Perhaps we should ask an even more basic question: what have government officials ever done to justify their continued existence?

Seriously though, it's like Jesus said to Pilate: "You would have no power over me unless it had been given you from above".

Those in power derive their power from God, and ought to publicly recognize that fact as an act of humility.

Old 04-20-2021, 03:08 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,027,780 times
Quote:
Are you saying they currently don't? Let's be fair. Our leaders pay homage to all sorts of things and people daily.

Old 04-20-2021, 03:16 PM

50,833 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
Thank you for confirming that you, along with phetaroi, MinivanDriver, and myself, don't believe in the concept of "consent of the governed" except in a very limited sense.
"The consent of the governed" does mean that every individual gets to do whatever he or she wants. If that's what you think, you're incredibly immature. Protecting the rights of minorities also does not mean that every individual gets to do whatever he or she wants.

Old 04-20-2021, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Clearly you don't believe in the concept of "the consent of the governed".
Quote:
Not in an absolute sense, and neither do you.
Quote:
As long as it protects minorities, yes I do.
Quote:
"The consent of the governed" does mean that every individual gets to do whatever he or she wants. If that's what you think, you're incredibly immature.
You said it, Sam - not me. Pardon me for taking your words at face value

Old 04-20-2021, 03:37 PM

Quote:
The "consent of the governed" was exercised in 1787 when the Constitution was ratified and again at least 18 more times when Amendments were sent out for approval. The "consent" was denied several times, and those Amendments did not become part of the Constitution. You can't have "consent of the governed" without governing taking place. What you are advocating in anarchy.

You might want to see if a sovereign citizens group is nearby that you could join. It sounds like you'd agree with some of their theories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality