Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2021, 10:57 AM

15,971 posts, read 7,032,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Yet another wanting to play mod I see...
Yeah, i kind of like to respect the terms of discussions as the forum states and not be wishywashy about it. You may do as you please.

Old 05-14-2021, 11:10 AM

Quote:
True. Politics, and a rather long but modern history. Your take nothing more than a matter of opinion and one I think lacking if you think "religion is the least of it."
Well, we are all full of opinions aren’t we? I stand by mine.

Old 05-14-2021, 11:15 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,024,835 times
Quote:
Is this another straw man argument, and of a political nature at that?
This entire thread is borderline political.
Quote:
Who has suggested the Founding Fathers intended for us to be controlled by a massive government headquartered in DC? Not sure I would describe the situation quite that way, but regardless how we view our current state of affairs and/or system of government, how many realities are we dealing with today that our Founding Fathers couldn't even fathom back when they crafted the constitution of the United States?
My point all along has been that if a local government wants to allow prayer in public, they can. It's up to them, and the federal government cannot restrict it, constitutionally speaking.
Quote:
Indeed, you might even say we're living in a different world altogether today, but there is no doubt the history of the United States includes a great deal that was about our union and keeping it that way. I would argue that goal was about a good deal more than just purposes of defense and commerce (though I'm not sure what your "etc" was meant to include). Also quite different from how the European Union has been designed.
My point is that the Federal government has morphed into something it wasn't intended to be. A lot of assumptions have been made and a lot of false statements have been made about what sort of religious expression can and can't be done.
Quote:

Back to the topic of this thread. I kind of like my comment # 1691. You?
You were responding to someone else. I honestly haven't read it before now. But it appears to be a bit misguided. The Founding Fathers never intended for church to be the only expression of religion.

Old 05-14-2021, 11:26 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,725,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Yeah, i kind of like to respect the terms of discussions as the forum states and not be wishywashy about it. You may do as you please.
I do to, but I leave it to the mods to worry about it. Of course you'll do as you please as well.

Much like in sports when referees are not prone toward calling all the ticky tack fouls and instead let the players play. Fans generally prefer that restraint as a rule. Just saying...

Old 05-14-2021, 11:37 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,725,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
This entire thread is borderline political.

My point all along has been that if a local government wants to allow prayer in public, they can. It's up to them, and the federal government cannot restrict it, constitutionally speaking.

My point is that the Federal government has morphed into something it wasn't intended to be. A lot of assumptions have been made and a lot of false statements have been made about what sort of religious expression can and can't be done.

You were responding to someone else. I honestly haven't read it before now. But it appears to be a bit misguided. The Founding Fathers never intended for church to be the only expression of religion.
Time for me to sign off and no doubt Goldy is counting my number of comments and monitoring my time in this forum, so just one last throw before I go...

Good point about this thread being political. It's both a religious and political issue like so many others. I'm not one to quibble about the nature of the comments as a rule either way. I'd be far more inclined to comment about the likes as well, but the topic of the thread, though political, is not about our system of government or why we are the United States rather than 50 different countries.

The issue of local freedoms vs federal law is another one that is sometimes not so easy for everyone to understand let alone agree upon, but suffice to say that local law cannot contradict federal law. Also of course, what often happens at the local level is a dispute that ultimately gets resolved at the federal level, by the SCTUS. I don't think your understanding of what local government can or can't do in this respect is entirely correct, constitutionally speaking.

There is little question the federal government has "morphed into something" quite different from when this country was founded, but the founding fathers intended a system of government that would evolve over time as determined by the three branches of government. They could not have anticipated what our goverment would look like today, and I don't think they wanted to.

Just because we respond to other people doesn't mean we can't read, consider and reply as we wish. I don't need a comment to be directed at me to consider what others have to say in any case. If you are going to suggest something I write is misguided, at least have the courtesy of explaining why. With time, I might bother to read what you think tomorrow.

Until then, here's to more productive endeavors...

Old 05-14-2021, 12:27 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,024,835 times
Quote:
Time for me to sign off and no doubt Goldy is counting my number of comments and monitoring my time in this forum, so just one last throw before I go...

Good point about this thread being political. It's both a religious and political issue like so many others. I'm not one to quibble about the nature of the comments as a rule either way. I'd be far more inclined to comment about the likes as well, but the topic of the thread, though political, is not about our system of government or why we are the United States rather than 50 different countries.

The issue of local freedoms vs federal law is another one that is sometimes not so easy for everyone to understand let alone agree upon, but suffice to say that local law cannot contradict federal law. Also of course, what often happens at the local level is a dispute that ultimately gets resolved at the federal level, by the SCTUS. I don't think your understanding of what local government can or can't do in this respect is entirely correct, constitutionally speaking.
Yet, it happens every day and is tolerated. But people get in a twist over religion.
Quote:
There is little question the federal government has "morphed into something" quite different from when this country was founded, but the founding fathers intended a system of government that would evolve over time as determined by the three branches of government. They could not have anticipated what our goverment would look like today, and I don't think they wanted to.
Agreed. But we have the rules we have for a reason. And we need to follow them, or change them. Our Constitution allows a process to change the rules.
Quote:
Just because we respond to other people doesn't mean we can't read, consider and reply as we wish. I don't need a comment to be directed at me to consider what others have to say in any case. If you are going to suggest something I write is misguided, at least have the courtesy of explaining why. With time, I might bother to read what you think tomorrow.

This forum tends to move pretty quick. I honestly don't spend a lot of time reading 300 pages of stuff that I didn't participate in.

Old 05-14-2021, 12:27 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,653,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
And that is why you follow the OT laws.

Oh, wait ...
Why would I follow "laws" in some allegorical and metaphorical theological text?

Old 05-14-2021, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
But the stated intent is to form a more perfect union, with the word union being paramount here.
The claimed "intent" of slavemaster, genocidal, oppressive, con-men. Gotcha.

Old 05-14-2021, 12:34 PM

Quote:

Again...you go by the words written and spoken by slavemaster, genocidal, oppressive con-men politicians.
instead the REALITY of the Way of The World.
Typical of those that are tweaked out that Religion is so prevelant in this world.

Old 05-14-2021, 01:02 PM

Quote:
I do to, but I leave it to the mods to worry about it. Of course you'll do as you please as well.

Much like in sports when referees are not prone toward calling all the ticky tack fouls and instead let the players play. Fans generally prefer that restraint as a rule. Just saying...
I dont watch sports and not a fan. I just think there is a fair and decent way to participate in any discussion. If i want to talk politics i go to the p&c forum. That is just my comfort level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality